Official: Ensemble Studios closed down

#1 Edited by ManMadeGod (1552 posts) -

"The team at Ensemble has made invaluable contributions to the games industry with their Age of Empires and Age of Mythology games and with the highly anticipated release of Halo Wars," the publisher said in a statement. "This decision does not reflect at all on Ensemble’s talent or the quality of Halo Wars--in fact, many people who have had a chance to test drive Halo Wars agree that it is on track to being a fantastic game."

Though Microsoft will close the studio, Ensemble brass plan to soldier on. As part of today's statement, the studio said that "the leadership team" will form a new development house, and has already entered into an agreement with Microsoft to continue supporting Halo Wars post-launch, "as well as work on other projects with Microsoft Game Studios."

Commenting on the reason for the closure, Microsoft said, "This was a fiscally rooted decision that keeps MGS on its growth path. While the decision to dissolve Ensemble was not an easy one, Microsoft is working to place as many Ensemble employees who do not move to the newly formed studio into open positions within Microsoft as possible."

There goes my dreams of AOM2 :(

Story 1

confirmed
#2 Posted by PufferFiz (1376 posts) -

damn that sucks. but its good to hear they will meet up and start a new project.

#3 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Age of Empires and Mythology were good back in the day, but what they are doing now just doesn't cut it compared to other RTS games or games in general. This is what happens when people fall back on the times.

#4 Posted by Win (541 posts) -

Age of Mythology was probably my favorite RTS game when I was younger,  it's really sad to hear there wont be any more AOM or AOE games :(

#5 Posted by Weltal (2272 posts) -

You can confirm a story simply by linking to a site called "confirmed"? Crazy, good to know though.

#6 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

So what the fuck does Microsoft Games Studios have left now? They're hemorrhaging developers.

#7 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"

Age of Empires and Mythology were good back in the day, but what they are doing now just doesn't cut it compared to other RTS games or games in general. This is what happens when people fall back on the times.

"
I agree, while I liked Age of Empires when it first came out, the game mechanic didn't survive the long term and the current ages of whatever seemed like it was stuck in that phase.
#8 Posted by Player1 (3852 posts) -

Wow, surprising. 

#9 Posted by AegisOfDawn (70 posts) -

So the Age of Empires developers are being shitcanned, wow...

#10 Posted by ManMadeGod (1552 posts) -
Weltal said:
"You can confirm a story simply by linking to a site called "confirmed"? Crazy, good to know though."
It was a type-o, calm down.
#11 Posted by Weltal (2272 posts) -
ManMadeGod said:
"Weltal said:
"You can confirm a story simply by linking to a site called "confirmed"? Crazy, good to know though."
It was a type-o, calm down."
I'm not wound up. I was just busting your balls. Anyways, it's too bad ES is closing.
#12 Posted by Ma7moud (805 posts) -

That's sad. They were a pretty good devs. But did MS say a reason why did they closed the studio ?

#13 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

Supposedly, it was a "fiscally rooted" decision...although given that AoE is one of the biggest selling RTS franchises of all time, as well as highly critically acclaimed, it's a very odd maneuver as far as "fiscally rooted" decisions go...

...and especially while they are in the middle of making a high-profile game like Halo Wars.

I'm sure some pissed-off development dood that ain't stickin' around will fill the internet in on the story...and then wind up being found with cement shoes at the bottom of the Nile!
#14 Edited by Vandreren (33 posts) -

But didnt Age of Empires 3 bomb? I thought they lost a lot of money on that one.

#15 Edited by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

I think there's some master plan here with first FASA & now Ensemble.  It's probably something that will bite them in the ass later on.

Someone at a board meeting once said "Look at how much money we'll save if we scrap these studios & absorb the staff!"

2 years from now they'll say "Oh shit...uh...well, we've got Lionhead & Rare..."

#16 Posted by Xeros606 (545 posts) -

so no more halo wars?

#17 Posted by coakroach (2488 posts) -

wtf mate ^^ ?
no age of mythology two?

#18 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -

Wow that sucks.  They were pretty good devs and I liked Age of Empires.

#19 Posted by Thordain (959 posts) -

:(, AOE was the game that got me into RTS and the PC. I am really gonna miss these guys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.