Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jul 05, 2012

The 4th entry in the Etrian Odyssey RPG series, and the first for the 3DS.

Etrian Odyssey IV Demo out on the eShop now!

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

Looks like you have free reign with the classes (aside from unlockable/secret classes) and the level cap for the demo is 10. Progress carries over to the retail version.

At any rate, the game's 3D effects look great if that's the life you want to lead. Otherwise, this seems like an Etrian Odyssey-ass Etrian Odyssey game.

Anybody else stoked for this?

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Rave

Yeah the demo seemed fun, can't wait for the full game

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By BBAlpert

I've been looking for a grindy RPG to play on my 3DS, and an Etrian Odyssey-ass Etrian Odyssey game would certainly fit that description... Perhaps I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

@BBAlpert said:

I've been looking for a grindy RPG to play on my 3DS, and an Etrian Odyssey-ass Etrian Odyssey game would certainly fit that description... Perhaps I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

If you've played any of the earlier games and liked 'em, EO4 is probably worth a look. Really seems like they added a lot of polish to this one. Plus, the 2D menus mixed with the 3D effects make the game look really nice.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SuperWristBands

This is the first Etrian Odyssey game I've played and as I assumed, it's pretty badass. The only other games I've played of this type are Class of Heroes and Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls. I like that this game seems to remove a lot of the random-ness but at the same time I find myself missing it... Also not being able to save anywhere makes this game seem a lot more dangerous.   

Now since this is the first game of the series I've played, I have some questions:

Is it possible to have a character die for good, or can you get them back 100% of the time with the clinic?  
    What happens if the whole party gets wiped out on normal mode?

As for the demo: 

Does anyone know how many of the quests can be completed? I got my party to lvl 6 but I can't seem to do much else. Like find the communal chest (or whatever it was called) that is guarded by an angry baboon or the supply quest from the dude who gave you the first quest. For the supply quest, I went to the area it says to (A-2 on the world map) and all there is is a dungeon that won't let me in cause it's the demo. I assume that is where I need to go and so I can't complete it in the demo. In the end, I was able to complete only two quests not counting the first one where you get the ore. 

Also, here is a link that has a QR code you can enter to get... something. It's a map though I don't know how to use it.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Zeik

No perma-death. If you die on normal you get a gameover and have to load up your last save (Although you can save your map data if you choose.)

You can complete all the quests that are available in the demo. The baboon is in the second dungeon with the bears and the supply quest is a few squares to the right of the second dungeons entrance. It's a good idea to map out every inch of a dungeon so you don't miss out on anything.

I don't believe the Shinjuku Map does anything besides provide you 500en for selling it.

criacow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By criacow

Oh sweet, thanks! Going to go grab that right now.

Loved EO3, been looking forward to EO4.

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @Zeik: Alright, thanks duder. I'll take a look later. The second dungeon is with the bears where you make them smash through the tree walls? I swear I looked all over that one and didn't find it. I must have over looked it or wasn't paying attention to it's location as I didn't have the quest (and so I wasn't really looking for it) when I was going through it.
    Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zeik

@SuperWristBands: I'm pretty sure it's that dungeon anyway. If not it's the first one where you get the ore, but I don't think so.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gaff

FOE! FOE! FOE!

I really need to get back into this series.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By evanbower

I downloaded the demo and gave it a shot, but it seemed a lot like Ni No Kuni for me, in that it is a game I'll probably love that doesn't demo particularly well. Too much management of your party to justify, for me, when you know you'll only spend an hour or so with them.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zeik

@evanbower: I'm not really sure what you mean.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By evanbower

@Zeik said:

@evanbower: I'm not really sure what you mean.

Picking and naming all the classes and members of your party seems like it would be cool for a full game experience, but for a demo that I'll be spending a short amount of time with, it just seemed like a little too much work.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zeik

@evanbower: Well you can import your demo data directly into the full game, so that just means you can jump right in to the actual game when it's out.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By evanbower

@Zeik said:

@evanbower: Well you can import your demo data directly into the full game, so that just means you can jump right in to the actual game when it's out.

Oh, awesome. That's good to know. Time to obsess over it then!

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SuperWristBands
    Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

This is the first Etrian Odyssey game I've enjoyed since the first one. Second one was kind of crap, and the third one just bored me to death.

It's probably not true, but it really feels like they sped up how long it takes to level, and not just because of the rare breed monsters. It just feels like less of a grind which keeps my attention longer.

Amethus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Amethus

I just tried out the demo and really liked it. Never played an EO game before but this seems like a nice enough dungeon crawler.

Not a big fan of having to draw up walls on the map and whatnot but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DeathTrap

@Amethus said:

I just tried out the demo and really liked it. Never played an EO game before but this seems like a nice enough dungeon crawler.

Not a big fan of having to draw up walls on the map and whatnot but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Yeah, I just tried it last night - first EO game I've played. Not a fan of drawing the map (actually, I kind of hate it and wish there was an option to make it draw itself automatically), but the combat seems fun and I enjoy the art and music. How's the story in EO games? Is there one, or is it just a series of dungeons with throw away "quests" designed to just get you into the dungeon?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zeik

The map drawing is one of the core mechanics of the EO games. You could feasibly get by just with the automapped floors if it bothers you, but I actually find it rather rewarding to watch my hand drawn map fill out. Drawing it yourself also means that you can fill out a room without having to walk on each square individually, which is actually a huge boon in a game with tough random encounters and trap floors.

The story in EO games tend to be mostly throwaway, although they do have bits and pieces of interesting story moments here and there. 3 actually had a pretty decent main narrative, even if it was sparse until the end.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DeathTrap

@Zeik said:

The story in EO games tend to be mostly throwaway, although they do have bits and pieces of interesting story moments here and there. 3 actually had a pretty decent main narrative, even if it was sparse until the end.

Oh, that's unfortunate. Biggest reason I play RPGs is for the story. Maybe I'll pick it up anyways - gameplay seems fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.