Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVO Championship Series

Concept »

The World Fighting Game Championships in all but name. Since 2000, the Evolution Championship Series has been the most prominent fighting game tournament event. It features the best players from all over the world.

The Fall Classic 2014 Preview (October 10-12) live from Raleigh, North Carolina and a whole bunch of post-EVO news!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Edited By FLStyle

Welcome back to the world of fighting games!

It's been quite some time since EVO happened, we're at the half way point between EVO and the Capcom Cup so I figured it was time to showcase another major event on the fighting game tournament calendar, The Fall Classic!

As far as tournament organisers go, The Fall Classic has a 4 man all-star group of East Coast TOs running this event:

Streams and schedule

http://tfctournament.com/ for more details!

Click images for higher resolution
    Click images for higher resolution

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

http://www.twitch.tv/capcomfighters

http://www.twitch.tv/bifuteki

http://www.twitch.tv/kombatnetwork

http://www.twitch.tv/funkyp

No Caption Provided

http://www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments

I'm looking forward to this, I haven't sat down and enjoyed a good fighting game event since EVO, should be good!

News items! All the news items*!

*not guaranteed to feature all the news items

Is this the 1st 4K (2160p) fighting game video?

Iron Galaxy have been continuing to hype season 2 of Killer Instinct, and Maximilian in turn uploaded the new Maya trailer in 4K (the game itself doesn't run in 4K).

1st of all, Maya looks amazing. Her look, her gameplay, great job Iron Galaxy! What do you think of 4K quality?

Street Fighter V? Is it secretly on?

Ono-san tweeted at the beginning of September that a recruitment drive was taking place to join Capcom and Dimps to work on a fighting game. I doubt Street Fighter X Tekken will ever be revisited again, Capcom don't have the Marvel license anymore so Marvel vs. Capcom 4 isn't happening and Darkstalkers Resurrection worked on by Iron Galaxy sold like shit so a new Darkstalkers game isn't happening either.

It's got to be Street Fighter V right? What else could it be?

Mortal Kombat X dated and Goro confirmed

As covered on Giant Bomb, MKX has a release date of April 14th, 2015. This should theoretically slot it in nicely in time for EVO 2015. Keep in mind that the EVO line-up is normally announced every January, with late additions to be added as the main fighting game tournament season from January to July progresses.

No Caption Provided

NetherRealm fans might remember EVO 2013 in which MK9 was added officially for a 3rd and final time due to the unknown quantity that was Injustice: Gods Among Us. That game turned out to be just as good a competitively viable game as any and was added later on along side MK9, which finally bowed out officially this year.

The likely scenario again would be that Injustice gets a bonus year on the roster as a back-up to MKX not being viable. Though I could see the EVO gents putting their trust in Ed Boon and NetherRealm on the back of MK9 and Injustice's success at EVO and simply cut Injustice out and announce the unreleased MKX for EVO 2015 straight away (barring any delays to MKX).

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax sells well in Japan and Europe won't have to wait an extra year to play it

Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold sold nearly 90,000 copies in its 1st week in Japan, following the tradition of lesser sales to fighting game upgrades, despite still outselling Street Fighter IV. It's another solid entry into the ever expanding Persona brand.

Japan opening week sales

Persona gamesFighting games
    Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - 90,000Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - 90,000
    Persona Q (3DS) - 185,000Persona 4 Arena (PS3) - 128,000
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (PS2) - 193,000Street Fighter IV (PS3) – 86,075
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 (PS2) - 127,472Tekken 6 (PS3) – 103,105

Sega has confirmed as the publisher for P4AU in Europe and that will happen this November, avoiding the disaster of P4A's release, P4A still hadn't been released in Europe during its only official tournament at EVO.

Brand new characters unveiled for Tekken 7

No Caption Provided

The only trailers shown so far for Tekken 7 focus entirely on a final showdown between father and son, Kazuya and Heihachi Mishima, with flashbacks narrated by Heihachi's wife and Kazuya's mother, Kazumi Mishima. What will happen to characters outside of this equation has yet to be seen, maybe Tekken 7 takes the shape of another tournament.

No Caption Provided

Two characters who may be participating is Catalina and an unnamed Arab gent. Harada-san openly admitted he and his team know very little about Middle Eastern dresswear and culture, so they posted some concept art and asked for feedback. Whatever his final look turns out to be, I hope it looks a little less like a progonist from an Assassin's Creed game. I want to see something unique, something never seen before and the Tekken series certainly has a history with crazy, unique characters.

Catalina on the other hand looks like a typical Tekken female, had I not have known otherwise, I'd say that Catalina is merely a costume update for Christie Monteiro. Hopefully her French fighting style, Savate, is interesting to play as.

Breaking news (Oct 3rd)! Location testing details! Tekken has super combos!

No Caption Provided

The gent to your right is apparently called Claudio and is another new character set to debut in Tekken 7.

His strange arm can glow with some sort of blue aura? Also confirmed to be returning during the location testing is Lars, Asuka, Lili, Alisa, Paul, Law, Xiaoyu, King, Dragunov, Bryan, Leo, Feng, Steve, and Hwoarang.

Rage Art is the name for the super combo style (technically speaking they function more like ultra combos from the SFIV series), cinematic, high damaging moves that have been seen used when characters are enraged (the red glowing state that they enter when they only have 10% of their health remaining). They seem to be very powerful, doing huge damage, and add even more to Tekken's growing list of comeback mechanics. The bound system also returns.

Pokkén Tournament FAQ

Pokkén Tournament is the non-Smash Brothers Nintendo fighting game I've been waiting for, I can only hope it gets a console release and subsequently a console release outside of Japan. We join Harada-san once again as he drops some info and ideas:

Mega Evolutions?

“When you think about Mega Evolution, there are those [Pokémon] that do Mega Evolve and those that don’t, so you might wonder what happens to the ones that don’t,” says Harada. “We’ve already thought of plenty of things like that since the early planning stage, in order to make it more like a Pokémon game.

How many Pokémon will feature?

“Over the 700 total Pokémon… is what I’d like to say, but the development wouldn’t be done on time by the time we decided,” responds Harada with a laugh. “We expect it to be a little more limited.”

“That said, I believe that the general direction that current fighting games are trending towards having more characters,” adds Hoshino. “I also believe that getting a grasp of how to play as all the characters is a big part of the fun, and as far expanding that goes, we’re thinking of starting with Pokémon that are easy to understand, and with a nice range of movements and ways to play.”

I don't want fighting games with more characters, it's gotten nuts, just have 15-20!

---------

Thanks for tuning in! I hope to do a few more previews before the end of the year before the road to EVO 2015 begins! Follow me on the Twitter @FLStyle!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

After watching your embedded videos, unrelated FGC note I just want to make: I always appreciate when they find two commentators that fill the standard roles of "more serious guy, who either talks matter-of-factly or tries to be a little intellectual in explaining the history of players" paired with "the excitable colour commentator who is a little more crass, little more of a joker".

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Everyone who's interested in FGC stuff should watch this:

Loading Video...

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: "He is a grown man, he wants to hit someone!" haha! I 'm at 3-1, good match so far.

After watching your embedded videos, unrelated FGC note I just want to make: I always appreciate when they find two commentators that fill the standard roles of "more serious guy, who either talks matter-of-factly or tries to be a little intellectual in explaining the history of players" paired with "the excitable colour commentator who is a little more crass, little more of a joker".

Agreed, much more entertaining and less ESPN, Yipes is the king of this when he does Marvel commentary at EVO.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hassun

FUCK ARCANA HEART

But seriously, thanks for another great hype thread, FLStyle.

The first thing which came to mind when seeing the new Tekken character was pretty much the same as your reaction, some kind of alternate Christie Monteiro design. She looks horribly bland.

Not digging the new male character either. I'm expecting him to whip out a Hidden Blade at some point.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Analysis and play-by-play :D

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Updated the OP with new Tekken details from a location test!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

Tekken 7 looks rad as fuck. I think some of the new mechanics will help new players but Namco needs to find a way to teach the player more.

Also shoutouts to itwastuesday who went to NorCal Strongstyle. It was awesome to see you duder, we should play Tekken online for sure!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spooky speaks! Listen and you will learn!

Loading Video...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@flstyle: Thanks.

US KoF players might not be particularly great but it's fun to at least see some different characters.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fun match between Ludovic's Chun Li and Damdai's Evil Ryu, great to see Chun Li doing well again!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By StarvingGamer

Did anyone watch Nishikin win last night? There was some weird shit with Ninomae vs Hagejin then Bonchan vs Ninomae and I couldn't tell why they were playing so I went to sleep.

Sad I missed it.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I realy... REALLY wish they wouldn't have nerfed Gief's focus attack to not hit crouching opponents, whether it was on purpose or not. That cost him so hard in the one game that would've made it 9-8 Snake instead of 9-8 Pepeday.

Also I hope they give QBomb the headbutt treatment and have it bounce back less to make it easier to punish on block. It is sort of silly right now.

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's -17 on block. I hate Fuerte as much as the next guy, but it's already plenty punishable. People need to block more is the problem. Bison my main for example can ultra 1 on block all day. No ultra meter? Any scissor kick also punishes. Makoto can LP/Ex Hayate, Chun can Ultra 1 or 2, Juri can HK/Ex Pinwheel, the list goes on... The move is good no doubt but nerfing good moves will only give us more shitty characters with limited tourney viability. Nobody wants that.

Jesna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jesna
    @westernwizard said:

Also I hope they give QBomb the headbutt treatment and have it bounce back less to make it easier to punish on block. It is sort of silly right now.

I come bearing gifts! A handy how-to guide.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FLStyle
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DoA apparently suffers from the taking forever while not actually taking forever bug as well. Chat's not bad though.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EG PR "EG Killer" Balrog

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spooky's stream has gone down for the moment, someone in the Twitch chat said PICNIC instead of PANIC and it made me chuckle.

PS. Nova and Doom, new best friends, 155 hit combo!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@l1ghtn1n: Usually Trish gets blown up instantly but not this tournament it seems.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nefarious_Al

3 in a row for Flux #BigButtFlux

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I just wanted to say that I really like watching GreenAce's Trish. Shes one of my fav characters in it, and the things he does with that character are pretty hawt.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KBrad looking super tired.

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nefarious_Al

Tampa needed more Psycho Crushers against Pepeday. That match is not as bad as it looked there.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n said:

Also when did K-Brad start playing Chun-Li?

When Snake-Eyez

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@starvinggamer said:

@l1ghtn1n said:

Also when did K-Brad start playing Chun-Li?

When Snake-Eyez

Dragon Eyez*

K Brad has been trying to switch characters since Ultra got released, just hasn't felt "comfortable" or whatever, same with Balrog.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.