Announced on June 2, 2014, Mortal Kombat X is the tenth main entry in the long line of fighting games of the Mortal Kombat franchise.
Set for release on April 14th, 2015. It is developed by series co-creator Ed Boon and NetherRealm Studios, it is the first MK game for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. A different studio is handling the development of the PS3, Xbox 360, and PC versions.
Characters have three different variations to choose from before battle, each of which adds additional moves or perks. For example, this allows players to give Scorpion a fireball attack in one form or choose another that allows him to create and launch demonic clones of himself at his foes.
This is done to create different versions of a character that can serve different purposes, such as one version that's good for zoning and another that's focused more on rushdown tactics.
Powerful throws make grapplers able to turn the tide of a fight in an instant. Grapplers use the very existence of these unbreakable throws as a weapon to manoeuvre opponents with mind-games.
Constant, up-close attacks in an attempt to force an opponent to make a costly mistake and then punish with high-damage combos.
Using unpredictability to frustrate an opponent by not allowing him/her to play their desired style of play. A well-placed and well-time trap can stop an opponent's advances and set up big combos.
The natural opposite of Rushdown. Turtling focuses taking a defensive position in the fight while waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike.
Using projectiles to keep an opponent at a distance far enough away that can be advantageous to the player and simultaneously render the opponent inept.
The meter, located at the bottom of the screen, consists of three segments and operates the same way it did in Mortal Kombat (2011). As a player performs attacks and takes damage, the meter builds. At the cost of one bar, two bars, or a full meter, players can utilize several tactics.
- Enhanced Special
- Combo Breaker
- X-Ray Attack
The feature that Mortal Kombat is most famous for; Fatality. Each character has multiple options for finishing off his/her opponent at the end of the match.
Mortal Kombat X has a fully connected experience with persistent online that has all fighters contributing to a greater conflict of some kind.
As described during E3 2014 by Ed Boon, Mortal Kombat X's timeline will begin at the end of the previous entry and stretch for twenty-five years, allowing for older versions of returning characters, as well as the descendants and proteges of other characters (such as Cassie Cage). Boon also said the final boss is a familiar, returning character, but offered no hints to his or her identity.
Cassie is the daughter of series regulars and survivors of the events of Mortal Kombat (2011), Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade.
- Air Power Slam - ...
- Take Down - ...
- Air Akimbo - ...
- Nut Kracker - ...
- Air Assault - ...
- The American Way - ...
Half insect, half human female making her debut in MKX.
Brood Mother (Trap)
- Bug Blast - ...
- Krawler - Locks down opponents in a vulnerable state.
- Physical/Costume Change: D'vorah's hood is removed.
Swarm Queen (Zoning)
- Vortex Swarm - Lifts opponents into the air.
- Wasp Grenade - An explosive that knocks the opponent down.
- Physical/Costume Change: Insects are seen flying around D'vorah.
- Bug Burst - A poison DoT and attacks do more chip damage.
- Ovipositor - ...
- Physical/Costume Change: A green substance is protruding out of D'vorah's hands and legs.
A duo that functions as one unit; a lumbering monster and a diminutive fighter who rides and attacks from atop.
- Torr is empowered, but Ferra does not participate.
- The Boss Toss - ...
- Little Kutter - ...
- Increases any damage done by Ferra.
The Prince of Shokan and Outworld's champion of Mortal Kombat for 9 generations. Had it not been for Liu Kang, Goro's 10th victory would've resulted in Shao Kahn's successful conquest of EarthRealm.
Goro is a pre-order exclusive character for MKX.
The mortal enemy of Sonya Blade and leader of the Black Dragon crime syndicate, an honorless off-shoot of the Red Dragon clan. Kano has aged but his cybernetic enhancements make him all the more deadly.
- Physical/Costume Change: Kano's Cybernetic equipment emits a red glow, knifes removed.
- Physical/Costume Change: Kano's Cybernetic equipment emits a yellow glow.
- Physical/Costume Change: Kano's Cybernetic equipment emits a green glow.
After the death of Shao Kahn (no relation), Kotal Kahn captured control of Outworld and now reigns as Emperor. He wields a Macuahuitl, which is a sword-like weapon of ancient Aztec design.
- Totems - Blood, Crystal, and Obsidian.
- Physical/Costume Change: Kotal's Tribal tattoos and Inscriptions glow a diabolical shade of red.
- Soul Scorch - ...
- Sun God Choke - ...
- Physical/Costume Change: Kotal's Tribal Tattoos glow an eerie aqua shade of blue.
- Macuahuitl-based attacks.
- Physical/Costume Change: Kotal's Tribal Tattoos glow incandescent shade of yellow.
An evil sorcerer of the NetherRealm, Quan Chi's necromancer powers have allowed him to build an army of dead EarthRealm warriors from Mortal Kombat (2011).
God of Thunder and appointed Protector of EarthRealm. After successfully averting Armageddon, Raiden returns to fend off threats to humanity.
- Teleportation based.
- Physical/Costume Change: Lightning protruding from Raiden's hands.
Storm Lord (Trap)
- Lightning Traps.
- Physical/Costume Change: Lightning is seen pulsating around Raiden's body.
Thunder God (Rushdown)
- Electrocution combos.
- Physical/Costume Change: Raiden's Hat is altered to a steel variant with glowing symbols and lightning.
Formerly known as the human Hanzo Hasashi of Japan's Shirai Ryu ninja clan, Scorpion rose from the dead as a Netherrealm spectre to avenge the death of his family and clan.
- Demon Fire - ...
- Flame Aura - ...
- Hell Ball - ...
- Summons a demonic minion to assist.
A mysterious ice-wielding assassin whose true identity is unknown. Ties to the previous two Sub-Zeros (Bi Han and Kuai Liang) are unknown as well, but he does bear the Lin Kuei clan logo on his left breast.
- Summons ice weapons for increased combo potential and damage. These include hammers, swords and daggers.
- Physical/Costume Change: Sub-Zero's skin emits an icy blue aura, in conjunction to his abilities.
Grand Master (Trap)
- Ice Clone - Usable as both a instant freeze trap and a projectile to throw at opponents.
- Physical/Costume Change: Sub-Zero's mask is covered in a layer of ice.
- Barrier of Frost - Reduces chip damage.
- Frozen Aura - Freezes opponents in place.
- Physical/Costume Change: Adds a Lin Kuei medallion which is seen on Sub-Zero's upper right torso.
Rumors regarding a new Mortal Kombat were confirmed by series co-creator Ed Boon after a cryptic countdown via his Twitter account, leading to June 2, 2014. The game was officially unveiled that day along with a CG trailer by Digital Dimensions featuring an original track titled "Can't Be Stopped" by American rapper Wiz Khalifa. The trailer depicted Scorpion and Sub-Zero locked in combat and showed X-Ray attacks last seen in Mortal Kombat (2011).
The game runs on a vastly updated version of the same Unreal Engine 3-based technology, reformulated for use on the next generation of consoles.