Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Beginner help

desmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By desmond

Aloha,

I reinvested in Fallout when the GTOY edition came out, after having a terrible experience origianlly on the PS3. (I couldn't get into the game and found it too buggy to enjoy)

I'm enjoying the game on 360 a lot more now, and I've just arrived at Rivet City, but I could do with some general advice on areas in the Wasteland I could visit to get some XP. Im currently just into level 5, but I'm finding myself overpowered by most of the Super Mutant encounters, and I barely made it to Rivet City alive (although this probably had something to do with me going over the land instead of using the subway, i wasnt aware there was a station that lead to it until I arrived!) 

Also, at this early stage is it worth me going into any of the DLC? I've read that It's recommended you dont go into some of them until you've levelled up but is this applicable for all of them?

Any help from the more experienced players would be appreciated.

Cheers

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax
    @desmond: I would recommend doing a bunch of quests that you find are easy. If you're getting killed by Super Mutants, don't go too far into Washington DC. Just explore and kill Raiders while doing side quests. Megaton is full of opportunities to get some money and experience, so I would start there. Same with Rivet City.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

That's good advice. The way I play games like Fallout 3 is that I tend to complete as many of the quests in a given area as I can, sometimes picking up side quests and completing them along the way. I went through the entire game and never felt like I was way outgunned by any enemies I faced. The hardest part of the game for me was just after getting out of the Vault. Very little ammo and a baseball bat...that's not a good time.

I started out playing the 360 version, then a year later I bought the PC version and played it with a couple of cheats. I'd repair all of my own items with bottlecaps that I would give myself through the console, same with ammunition. That game was much more fun when ammunition was plentiful.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By danielkempster

A great means of picking up early experience is to take on the Wasteland Survival Guide quest from Moira Brown in Megaton. Not only does it net you some early experience, but it'll also fill up your coffers with a healthy helping of caps, weapons and ammo, and get you better acquainted with the geography of the Capital Wasteland. As for the DLC question, I think it's best left until you're at a slightly higher level (I started my DLC exploits at level 15).

desmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By desmond

Thanks for the advice chaps, I'll get back to Megaton.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By natetodamax
    @desmond: Also if it helps, I remember the first time I played. I was on my way to GNR to see Three Dog when I was probably a level 5. Big mistake. I had to fight off a ton of Super Mutants with only a pistol, no stimpaks, and the occasional assault rifle if I managed to find ammo. So not everyone is able to breeze through without a problem.

Later on you'll end up like me with 6000+ bottlecaps and over 2000 rounds of ammunition for every weapon, not to mention hundreds of stimpaks
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By CornontheCobbe
    @desmond: Ah great question Desmond.

I found myself in the same boat about 2 weeks ago, as i just purchased the GOTY edition then also. I'd say do some of the more easier quests at first. You can get a lot of experience from the Wasteland Survival Guide quests from Moira (As dankempster has mentioned above) and this will help you rack up XP at a fast rate. Stay away from the DC ruins until you level up a bit, as the Super Mutants will screw you over a couple times. 

Don't go into Metro's as there can be a lot of Feral Ghouls and some of them are so powerful, even my level 22 cannot defeat them easily with Alien Weaponry. (The Feral Ghoul Reavers especially)
    And try and stay away from the NE until you level up a bit. 
    Kind of a spoiler, but if you go NE you might walk into the area of the Mothership Zeta starting and will not be able to return to the Wasteland for a while until you complete it. And it is quite difficult. If your going to start off a DLC i'd reccomend Point Lookout first. It's got some great loot in it too.

Good Luck!
    fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By fynne

As previously mentioned pick up the Moria Survival Guide quest.  It will level you up a lot and give you loot.  As you go around completing it you'll be killing lots of raiders and ghouls (regulars) which give good XP at the lower levels.  You'll also be able to loot their weps/armor.  What you don't need you can sell.  Don't be afraid to repair stuff if you're getting weighed down.  Better quality stuff sells at higher prices at vendors so selling 2 crap rifles is roughly equal to selling one reparied rifle.  Also remember to save your stimpaks by sleeping instead.  If you kill all the baddies in an area you can sleep on any mattress/bed that you find.

Another really good quest is in the water processing plant near the entrance of Megaton.  Talk to the guy inside.  He'll ask you to fix 3 (?) leaks around Megaton.  Run around looking for spouts of water.  Fix them and talk to him again.  He'll then ask for scrap metal.  Pick these up whenever you  see them (they look like little piles of small metal parts - about the size of a helmet) and bring them back to this guy.  He'll pay you and give you XP.

My last hint is to use fast travel get around.  Once you've discovered an area, you can fast travel to there from the map screen (in the Pip Boy) anytime, as long as there are no baddies nearby.

desmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By desmond

Thanks chaps, good advice.

I went back to Megaton and carried on with Moira's quests. And I'm upto the part where you have to go under the Jefferson memorial to plant the device. Any advice on avoiding/fighting off those blighters? They seem pretty much bullet proof.

Avatar image for carolinafan3515
    CarolinaFan3515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By CarolinaFan3515
    @desmond: Easiest way to plant the camera is with a stealth-boy if you got one.  There should be a door right next to the river.  Run in, plant the device, and run out.
    Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Ubiquitous

Seek out and search every container in existence. (You will never need to buy ammo) Talk to everyone you see and do all thier quests. Use VATS like a madman, and last but not least, save very often.

desmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By desmond

Cheers!

desmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By desmond

Sorry to keep on, but wherre doI find a stealth boy? Moira told me she'd give me one if I did this, but it's not much use to me afterwards!

Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Siris
    @desmond: Finding your own way through this game is the best part about it. I wouldn't worry about the specifics of everything until you've at least beaten it...when you feel you've had enough time to explore the game on your own, I'd recommend the Fallout 3 wiki as the go-to place for help with this game. 

Here's the link: 
    http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3
    desmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By desmond
    @Siris said:
    " @desmond: Finding your own way through this game is the best part about it. I wouldn't worry about the specifics of everything until you've at least beaten it...when you feel you've had enough time to explore the game on your own, I'd recommend the Fallout 3 wiki as the go-to place for help with this game.   Here's the link:  http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3 "
    Very true, I shall continue!
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By natetodamax
    @desmond: OH WAIT. Don't forget to check this out. Created by Lies, Jayge, Systech, and me, although I came in a little later.
    hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By hakunin
    @desmond said:
    " Thanks chaps, good advice.  I went back to Megaton and carried on with Moira's quests. And I'm upto the part where you have to go under the Jefferson memorial to plant the device. Any advice on avoiding/fighting off those blighters? They seem pretty much bullet proof. "
    You mean the Anchorage Memorial right? There is a backdoor you can use that leads to the lowest part of the memorial with two Mirelurks guarding some eggsacks. With a Stealth-Boy it's easy as cake, but even without one you could probably just run past them, plant the device and run out again. Don't kill any of them! In the long run doing the optional objectives for Moira's quests pays off.

Also I'm pretty sure you can find a Stealth-Boy somewhere in the Super-Duper Mart.
    fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fynne

You might be able to buy a stealth boy in rivet city.  Go to the weapon shop in the market there.

KING_CANVAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KING_CANVAS

Goto Big Town,theres a quest called ''Big Trouble In Big Town'' which is a pretty simple quest,and gets you caps,and XP.

And theres also a Infinite XP Glitch in Big Town.

Walkthrough (Infinite XP Big town) Basicly,the best XP Town. 

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Adamantium

My advice: go hunting for Bobbleheads to get free boosts to all your stats and skills. Early in the game I like to grab the Small Guns Bobble at the National Guard Depot. I'd also recommend grabbing the Speech Bobble at Paradise Falls, as speech challenges can help you get free exp and avoid dangerous situation in many cases. 

Other easy ones to grab are the Strength, Perception, Intelligence, Agility, and Explosives ones. You can find a nice article on them here. After grabbing a few of these you'll definitely have gained a level or two, and will have a nice bump in a variety of skills... should make things easier on you. Good luck!

desmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By desmond

OK, made a lot of progress in the game this weekend. In the main quest I'm just upto the point where I've gotten my dad out of Tranquility Lane, butI left this point to go and complete some sidequests:

-Power of the Atom (diffused the bomb) 
    -Wasteland Survival Guide
    -Those!
    -Blood Ties
    -Operation Anchorage

Now up to level 13, and I've bagged some decent stuff from the armory after Anchorage, so I think I'll be fine with it now. Cheers for all the help folks.

desmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By desmond

I've made more progress over the last week or so, completed the Pitt last night (thought it was pretty terrible) and I've started Broken Steel.

Quick question: Can I level up beyond 20 (I've just reached it) before I've finished BS? Or do I need to complete this DLC for the level cap to raise?

Bald3rdash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bald3rdash

You need only to start Broken Steel to get access to level 21+.  I started BS, then started Point Lookout so I could take advantage of the exp I would be earning in Lookout - I was level 20 before I beat the original game, so I wanted to get the most bang for my  buck.  

Sorry if this post is a bit whacked, I'm still a bit drunk.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.