Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Buying Fallout 3 is kind of hard

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Deathawk

So I've kind of been in the mood for a post apocalyptic open world RPG as of late and I've come to the conclusion that buying Fallout 3 nowadays is kind of hard. First of all no retailers seem to stock a new GOTY copy, they're all used. Normally I have no qualms about buying used games, especially when the game is years old like Fallout is, but I don't know, something about purchasing used expansion pack seems a little bit shady to me. So my next option would be to buy a used copy and purchase new DLC from the marketplace, which would put me out around $17 (since I only really want Broken Steel) but that's also the price for a used GOTY collection. I probably don't have the time to play through more than BS so then the whole thing comes down to if I just want the GOTY to say I got a better value. I don't know....buying games nowadays is kind of difficult.

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Deathawk

So I've kind of been in the mood for a post apocalyptic open world RPG as of late and I've come to the conclusion that buying Fallout 3 nowadays is kind of hard. First of all no retailers seem to stock a new GOTY copy, they're all used. Normally I have no qualms about buying used games, especially when the game is years old like Fallout is, but I don't know, something about purchasing used expansion pack seems a little bit shady to me. So my next option would be to buy a used copy and purchase new DLC from the marketplace, which would put me out around $17 (since I only really want Broken Steel) but that's also the price for a used GOTY collection. I probably don't have the time to play through more than BS so then the whole thing comes down to if I just want the GOTY to say I got a better value. I don't know....buying games nowadays is kind of difficult.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SlasherMan

If playing on PC is an option at all for you, then you can get it off Steam.

Also, I don't see why you should feel weird about buying a used game that you cannot find new copies of. Nothing wrong with it in this case.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Buying it used shouldnt be a problem, since the DLC is on a seperate disc and installs to your console. It doesn't require serials or anything.

Thats all your choice if you want a brand new sealed Fallout 3 edition though.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NakAttack

get the goty edition.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By WickedCobra03

I am in total agreement with you. I bought the original version of Fallout 3 for like $15 bucks like 6-8 months after it came out and I got a good 50-60 hours out of that game which was more than worth it, but now for Fallout: New Vegas, I just waited for that "GotY" edition to come out and drop in price to $20 or so bucks, and will hopefully get to play through that by summer. I dunno, I am not much for DLC as it is meant to be... dropping $60 on a game is enough, but then to have extra content piece-mealed out to you, I would just rather buy a game with the complete works of that game on a disc/package and be done with it rather than having to rely on XBL or PSN or whatever hokey PC storefront they have for that content.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Also, to add, Point Lookout is also pretty good and worth it.

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Deathawk

Point lookout is the Alaskan one right? Yeah that looks pretty fun.

I guess the whole point to this blog was not so much a question of used games, but the crazy amount of research I had to do prior to actually buying it. For a while I was thinking that it would be a code, so when I saw best buy had used copies of Broken Steele I was understandably confused. By comparison, ten years ago if I wanted Halo, I went and bought Halo. I'm not saying that that's necessarily better or worst, it just seemed like one of those "living in the future" moments

To steer the conversation in a different way, I was also considering Boarderlands. Would that be worth it for the single player alone or does it lose most of its essence without co-op?

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Get the GOTY edition.

Also, Point Lookout is the best DLC, and no it's not the one in Alaska, that's Operation Anchorage. Point Lookout is in a swamp.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By evanbower

@Deathawk: You could always get a new GOTY Edition on Amazon?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By McGhee

What, you actually walk into brick and mortar stores? What is this 1999?

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By GoofyGoober

Damn you, I just bought Fallout 3 GOTY because of this post. Oh well, now I won't have to buy another game for awhile.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By spazmaster666

@Deathawk said:

Why not just order it from Amazon? The GOTY edition is available right now for $20.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By GoofyGoober

@spazmaster666: Exactly what I just did lol.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Justin258

@Deathawk said:

Point lookout is the Alaskan one right? Yeah that looks pretty fun.

I guess the whole point to this blog was not so much a question of used games, but the crazy amount of research I had to do prior to actually buying it. For a while I was thinking that it would be a code, so when I saw best buy had used copies of Broken Steele I was understandably confused. By comparison, ten years ago if I wanted Halo, I went and bought Halo. I'm not saying that that's necessarily better or worst, it just seemed like one of those "living in the future" moments

To steer the conversation in a different way, I was also considering Boarderlands. Would that be worth it for the single player alone or does it lose most of its essence without co-op?

If you are a single player gamer then Fallout 3. No question.

Borderlands is still fun in single player. That's how I played it the first time. However, the game is most obviously meant to be played with friends. If you've got buddies that you want to play with and are willing to play with you, then Borderlands is at its best.

Destroyeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Destroyeron

@McGhee said:

What, you actually walk into brick and mortar stores? What is this 1999?

QFT.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Twiggy199

If you live in the UK try this site, it's out of stock at the minute but it's due in and for £14.86 you cant go wrong. The good thing about the site is it's automated which makes deliveries ridiculously fast, items are usually on the doorstep next day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.