Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Fallout 3, Not So Great Return

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By Kyreo

So I had the hankering to return to Fallout 3 and just... dick around in the wastes.  Y'know, killing raiders, ambushing Enclave camps and looting abandoned locale.  Since my character was so ripped and little in the game posed a threat, I went on a "Walk About."  No clothes, no items, no aid; just a combat knife (Occams Razor to be exact.)  So I fast travelled to the temple of the Union and christened that my base of operations once I purged the nearby enclave threat when all of the sudden... I'm hit with that infamous UI bug where the foreground and background mesh and it totally fucks up my view, then it froze my Xbox.   
    I restarted my Xbox and kept at it, regardless of the glitch.  After about 3 hours of dealing with glitches, bugs and lockups I reluctantly turned off the console for the last time that evening.   
    Which leads me to the point of this blog.  Why is it that Fallout 3 is fucking great and fucking broken at the same time?   

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Kyreo

So I had the hankering to return to Fallout 3 and just... dick around in the wastes.  Y'know, killing raiders, ambushing Enclave camps and looting abandoned locale.  Since my character was so ripped and little in the game posed a threat, I went on a "Walk About."  No clothes, no items, no aid; just a combat knife (Occams Razor to be exact.)  So I fast travelled to the temple of the Union and christened that my base of operations once I purged the nearby enclave threat when all of the sudden... I'm hit with that infamous UI bug where the foreground and background mesh and it totally fucks up my view, then it froze my Xbox.   
    I restarted my Xbox and kept at it, regardless of the glitch.  After about 3 hours of dealing with glitches, bugs and lockups I reluctantly turned off the console for the last time that evening.   
    Which leads me to the point of this blog.  Why is it that Fallout 3 is fucking great and fucking broken at the same time?   

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By angelkanarias

never encountered a bug in fallout, great game anyways. 

ps. Lost fan?

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By RedSox8933

Why is this in the Bug Reporting forum?

This forum is for bugs on the site.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kyreo
    @angelkanarias said:
    "  ps. Lost fan? "
    Absolutely not!!  I love that game, despite the technical shit storm that it can be.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kyreo
    @RedSox8933: My bad...
    Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Inf225

Broken stuff is the magic of Bethesda games... their whole draw for me is to see how I can totally break the system and get away with some crazy stuff...

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By hatking

It is weird.  I just put Fallout 3 back in a few days ago and stumbled on a quest I missed.  So I started doing it and about half way through the game froze.  I turned it off and thought that is probably the last time I'll ever play the game.  However I haven't been able to get it out of my mind since.  I keep thinking about playing the game and fighting the urge, just throwing something else in (Borderlands) to play instead.  It's strange how a game is so technically broken (I can't even remember how many lock-ups, glitches, and bugs I've ran into) but so fun to play.  I totally am able to ignore those problems.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gabriel

It's never glitched that bad for me, though it is glitchy.

Though I have been itching to go try and replay Oblivion and can't remember how glitchy it is.

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

I heard/read it is alot more glitchy on the Xbox?  Is there still quite a few glitches for the PS3 version?

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @angelkanarias said:
    " never encountered a bug in fallout, great game anyways.  ps. Lost fan? "
    The original Fallout or Fallout 3?
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By natetodamax
    @angelkanarias said:
    Surely you aren't talking about Fallout 3.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hatking

I ended up going back anyway and beating the last few missions I had missed.  Now I am pretty sure I've seen all there is to see in the game. :/
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By sopranosfan

Haven't met any major bugs to the extent you did in such a short period of time.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kyreo
    @HatKing said:
    " I ended up going back anyway and beating the last few missions I had missed.  Now I am pretty sure I've seen all there is to see in the game. :/ "
    HAHA... There is so much that can happen in the Wastes of Fallout 3  that no one can ever REALLY finish that game.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hatking
    @Kyreo said:
    " @HatKing said:
    " I ended up going back anyway and beating the last few missions I had missed.  Now I am pretty sure I've seen all there is to see in the game. :/ "
    HAHA... There is so much that can happen in the Wastes of Fallout 3  that no one can ever REALLY finish that game. "

You know what?  You're right.  So much random crap can happen in the game that you really never finish the game.  Also I don't think I've killed all the Super Mutant Behemoths... so maybe I'll hunt the last of them down.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DystopiaX

Surprisingly, I've only encountered a bug twice. My game just froze up. Restarted my console, no other problems. 500+ hours played too.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hatking

... And due to your response I am currently playing this game hunting the last of the Behemoths.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kyreo
    @HatKing: Takoma Park.  It took me days to figure out where exactly that last Behemoth was.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hatking
    @Kyreo:
    That's so funny I spent so long last night finding my way there.  I had to use a guide to find the right metro station to go through to get there.  Without a guide there is no way somebody would find that place unless they just stumbled on it. 

Also I have to say I have been playing this game a lot this week and I just found more stuff to do.  It isn't a quest exactly but I found some people who will pay me for random junk I bring them, so I've been just scavenging for that stuff. 

I am totally ready for New Vegas... I really hope it is as crazy deep as this game is.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Try clearing your system cache, it may help. It helped remove a glitch from one of my games. Still, I feel your pain, dude. I don't quite remember how to do it. It's somewhere in the system settings. I found out by doing a search in the answered questions section of GameFAQs. So if you don't know how, try looking there. If you can't find it, just send me a PM or something and I'll try to help you out.

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By JeevesPleez

Damn it. now I really do have to play Broken Steel, don't I? I bought it when it came out but have never actually played any of it.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kyreo
    @TheGreatGuero: Wait... there's hope?  Oh SHIT,  THERE'S HOPE!!! 

... but seriously thanks for the info.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Skytylz

the games messed up, i even had to reload once because the quest messed up.  I can't wait for new vegas hopefully it is more polished.

cokecan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cokecan

Never had it freeze up on me. I've seen some creatures half stuck in the ground though and have been immobile in a few places that I shouldn't have been.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By angelkanarias
    @Alphiehyr said:
    " @angelkanarias said:
    The original Fallout or Fallout 3? "
    @natetodamax said:
    " @angelkanarias said:
    Surely you aren't talking about Fallout 3. "
    Fallout 3, pc version.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.