Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Fallout 3 PS3 GOTY worth a purchase?

Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cadmus

Backstory.  I played vanilla FO3 way back last year in November (I think) when it first came out.  Enjoyed it and sunk at least a 50 hours into it.  Eventually sold it because (a) the bugs were really getting to me, (b) I didn't feel Bethesda was supporting the PS3 version and I felt ripped off and taken advantage of (c) I was upset that PS3 wasn't getting DLC, but then I found out a GOTY version was coming later. 

Well that GOTY version is now out, and I dunno if I should buy it.  So I'm asking for your opinions.   

I did some research and apparently it's bearable if you turn off auto-save and don't reload your game, always drop items back into bodies and don't use energy weapons that turn dudes into goo/piles of particles or w/e.  So the game already seems pretty much broken to me, but this doesn't even take into account the DLC.  The worst of the expansion seem to be coming from Point Lookout, with players reporting freezes every couple minutes which they claim has nothing to do with reloads or auto-saves. 

Normally I wouldn't support a developer like this and you know Bethesda isn't going to do anything about these problems.  But I'm also really itching for some FO3.  So what do you think I should do? (I received a gift card from best-buy and the game is tailored for 60 dollars)
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

If you were getting pissed about the bugs from the vanilla game, the GOTY is worse. I got it myself after being in the same situation as you (I used to have it for 360 though) and I had wish I had gotten another version. The glitches in the DLC are just so, so terrible and the game is always freezing. I really think this could have used a bit more polish, or something... I mean I know that Fallout 3 as a game is glitchy but the PS3 GOTY is just horrendous. Do you have a PC or 360 you could get it for? Preferably the PC, but the 360 version is good too.

Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Cadmus
    @xyzygy: 
    Well I do have a 360 now that my brother doesn't use his, but honestly I think it's going to RROD anytime.  It could barely handle oblivion if I remember correctly.

I don't have a pc.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xyzygy
    @Cadmus: If I were you I would rather wait two weeks to get the RROD repaired and then play the better version instead of getting a version that always freezes, but that's just me. Install the game to the HDD too, so there won't be any overheating. Actually you should always install to HDD.
    Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cadmus
    @xyzygy: 
    I don't think I have a warranty.  I don't even know where it would be.  Man, so the way I see it is I lose from just getting a PS3 version and all I receive is a FO experience that will be to some varying degree sure to be crummy.  Sucks because FO is the only game that I really want to play this holiday and I've waited a year lol.  Anyway thanks, I'll restrain myself and not get the crappy version for just a FO anything but just wait for New Vegas. 
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Burns098356GX

I got the GOTY for 360 for Christmas, and I love it. I've played them all except for Point Lookout. Its added about 15 hours to gameplay. Bugwise, i dont know of the ps3 and 360 versions are different, but the only thing I've come across is the occasional lockup. IMO, get it. One of the best games that have came out recently, the DLC packs just add so much content.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xyzygy
    @Cadmus: Dont worry about finding anything for the warranty, all you need to do is go on the website, put in the serial number and boom, that's it. There is a huge chance that you're in warranty. 
    Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cadmus
    @xyzygy:
     Really?  Awesome.  Then I'll check if I qualify, and if I do I'll get the game and then when the console RRODs eventually I'll be able to replace it.  Thanks a bunch!  Hope I qualify (thumbs crossed =P)

@Burns098356GX:
    Yah!  I'm really looking forward to the DLC.  Especially Point Lookout.  PS3 problems I remember temporary freeze ups during vats and eventually I remember receiving a freeze up every hour or two where I'd have to restart the whole console.  Also Liberty Prime would mess up when he's supposed to storm the bad guys and when you take the G.O.A.T in the beginning the teacher wouldn't hand you the test.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iam3green

if u liked the game, it doesn't seem like u like it. if u liked the game and plan on playing it again then u should get it.

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CounterShock

i've bought the PS3 version of GOTY and it is just fine. I didn't have to do any of this "
    if you turn off auto-save and don't reload your game, always drop items back into bodies and don't use energy weapons that turn dudes into goo/piles of particles or w/e". This just sounds insane.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pause422

PS3 version is the worst one technically from what Ive heard, but I dont think its anything gamebreaking.

Astiaks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Astiaks

I wanted to buy the ps3 version of the game and after all those bad reviews i read at amazon i decided to wait and buy it for the pc sometime later.  
    It's funny how bethesda has released a completly broken game and doesn't even care about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.