Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Fallout 3: The Pitt’s story and Bethesda’s take on the continuity

4thPersonJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By 4thPersonJohn

Dropping $10 to head into the Pitt gives you the experience of a lengthy Fallout 3 questline, with the emphasis clearly on story and exploration. The story concerns a matter that could change the whole Wasteland, which prompted the following thought: As the new directors of it all, how exactly does Bethesda intend on handling the future of Fallout lore?

The Fallout continuity suffered through a period of stagnancy until Bethesda came to its rescue, with Fallout 3 officially continuing the Fallout universe. And it also seems, despite Bethesda’s Elder Scrolls series’s lack of emphasis on plot, Bethesda doesn’t seem afraid to make waves in the universe they inherited. At least, it seems that way considering aspects of Fallout 3’s main story and the Pitt’s story, both of which address two different matters with the potential to make life in the Wasteland a whole lot better.

Fallout 3’s main questline in itself was a departure from what Bethesda had gotten used to. In addition to the expansive, explorable world that was largely the selling point, Fallout 3 could arguably be Bethesda’s first dip in a long, deep plot primarily featured in the game. And by extension, it might be their first attempt at putting their setting at the whim of a powerful storyline that stretches across games. War never changes, but the status of the world in the Fallout series may very well change, and it could be due to the actions the player takes in the games.

I imagine we may be seeing the signs of this as soon as Broken Steel’s release, if not sooner. I know I’m expecting Bethesda to handle the Fallout universe much different from the way they handle the Elder Scrolls universe, and also different from how the Fallout universe was formerly handled.

Oh, and by the way, I'm just one of a few active contributors to 4thPerson.com, where you can find more blog posts like this in addition to other content. And a podcast on the way. Check it out

4thPersonJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 4thPersonJohn

Dropping $10 to head into the Pitt gives you the experience of a lengthy Fallout 3 questline, with the emphasis clearly on story and exploration. The story concerns a matter that could change the whole Wasteland, which prompted the following thought: As the new directors of it all, how exactly does Bethesda intend on handling the future of Fallout lore?

The Fallout continuity suffered through a period of stagnancy until Bethesda came to its rescue, with Fallout 3 officially continuing the Fallout universe. And it also seems, despite Bethesda’s Elder Scrolls series’s lack of emphasis on plot, Bethesda doesn’t seem afraid to make waves in the universe they inherited. At least, it seems that way considering aspects of Fallout 3’s main story and the Pitt’s story, both of which address two different matters with the potential to make life in the Wasteland a whole lot better.

Fallout 3’s main questline in itself was a departure from what Bethesda had gotten used to. In addition to the expansive, explorable world that was largely the selling point, Fallout 3 could arguably be Bethesda’s first dip in a long, deep plot primarily featured in the game. And by extension, it might be their first attempt at putting their setting at the whim of a powerful storyline that stretches across games. War never changes, but the status of the world in the Fallout series may very well change, and it could be due to the actions the player takes in the games.

I imagine we may be seeing the signs of this as soon as Broken Steel’s release, if not sooner. I know I’m expecting Bethesda to handle the Fallout universe much different from the way they handle the Elder Scrolls universe, and also different from how the Fallout universe was formerly handled.

Oh, and by the way, I'm just one of a few active contributors to 4thPerson.com, where you can find more blog posts like this in addition to other content. And a podcast on the way. Check it out

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

The Elder Scrolls games may lack plot, but never make the mistake of assuming that the universe that the games are set in is in any way lacking emphasis or depth. That said, I'm glad they're pursuing their excellent world-crafting skills to Fallout. Bethsoft has never been stellar with actual storylines, but their worlds are phenomenal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.