Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

The Game of the Year that should have been?

• 60 results
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By pweidman

I'm now over 60 hrs(main quest started, but left undone in order to chase all the side stuff)in and I feel even stronger about this game.  It tops FO3 in every area, except it's super annoying bugs and glitches.  Better writing, far more funny moments, many, many more moral choices(god they happen soo frequently)that add to loyalty consequence and karma.  There's at least as much to do as FO3, all the while having so many more factional choices and their inherent back stories to discover.  Customization/crafting options are engaging, and the companion mechanic is awesome, and adds a lot to gameplay imo.  Anyway, overall, my 2 cents is that this game is GOTY material, if not for the bugs, glitches, corruptions, redic load times as cache clogs etc.  Post patch it's definitely very playable though...just save a lot!:)
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By raiz265

....not Fallout.

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By MadeinFinland

It's like giving Miss America to someone with Herpes. 
    Wait a minute, hasn't that happened before? Shouldn't Fallout:NV get GOTY?

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By septim
    @ryanwho said:
    " Nah. Glitches aside, I found the endgame really underwhelming after realizing its basically the exact same mission no matter who you align with. Take the bugs out and its a solid game, sure. Best game Obsidian's made since they started calling themselves Obsidian, probably. Best Fallout game probably. "
    Yeah the game has an awesome peak, unfortunately it's midway through the game. The actual climax of the game is not the highpoint by any stretch. 

I didn't have much trouble with bugs (none game-breaking at least) but even I would say that it's not a strong GOTY contender. The vision of the game is hamstrung by the limits of the engine. There are so many potentially awesome setpiece scenes that unfortunately wind up looking like someone playing with action figures.

I would argue that it has the best story / writing of the year though.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By OmegaPirate

Apples to oranges - Game of the year discussions still continue to baffle me, 

That said, bugs aside Fallout NV was a very entertaining game to play thorough just for the interesting characters and situations alone, felt a lot more like classic fallout universe than 3 did (though i loved 3) 
    Was it game of the year? Mechanically? not a chance. 
    Everything else? down to taste

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By BraveToaster
    @kingcopper said:
    " @Axxol: I find that a bit harsh. What about the guys who wrote the story, the guys who did the art, etc? They deserve recognition. It's not like it's the fault of the whole company that the game was a glitchy mess at launch. "
     I'm well aware that it's not the whole company's fault, you don't have to point that out. Sure the story might be good, but Game of the Year is rated as a whole; not parts. If the game is released with so many issues then I don't think it should deserve positive recognition. They should know better not to release such a buggy product. 
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By MrKlorox

If Fallout 3 was New Vegas when it came out, I would agree. But Fallout 3 ruined the awesomeness of New Vegas (and older Fallouts to be honest). No amount of fiddling or polishing New Vegas could have made it GOTY after Fallout 3.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By SonicFire

Well, even though the engine is kind of a mess, I think Obsidian lacked the skill to make sure that the cracks didn't show. I didn't mind the bugs until near the end of my game 4 saves simultanously corrupted, causing me to lose a solid 12 hours of play. Still the writing was damn near the best I saw all year, and the quest design was excellent as well.  

Developers have deadlines, regardless. It's how business works. Only a few publishers and developers have the luxury to put out games "when they're done."
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By kingzetta

if it worked it would have been awesome 

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Aus_azn
    @HandsomeDevil said:
    " I really didn't like it and don't think it's worthy of any GOTY attention. "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.