Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 21, 2008

The sequel to the original Far Cry dispenses with Jack Carver, and moves the action to a war-consumed Africa complete with an open-ended storyline involving civil war, several hours of missions, heated gunplay, and a slew of dynamic elements powered by a new engine.

I don't know who has seen this, but DUDE!

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By BiggerBomb

I've been keeping a lazy eye on FC2 until I saw this video: http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14226061/far-cry-2-/videos/farcry2livewire_072308.html

This may be old news but I was absolutely blown away by the footage shown and the surprisingly informative Q&A Jason was having with the spokespersons. One of the most interesting revelations was that this was actually 360 footage, as made rather obvious by the Xbox 360 controller being used to play the game.

Anyway, I should shut up now. But seriously, watch this. Dude......

Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Homer

I want this game so bad...

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Endogene

wasnt jason o campo from gamespot?..???

Avatar image for blacksuitandtie9
    BlackSuitAndTie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BlackSuitAndTie9

Holy shit this looks amazing!

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By kush

I am really looking forward to this game...everything about it seems so well thought out. They are taking a lot of great aspects from other games and making an uber awesome game :P

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Vlademir
    Wow, if that's the 360 version, I cant imagine what the PC version looks like! Props Ubisoft for their awesome optimization work to make it run so well.

Endogene said:
    "wasnt jason o campo from gamespot?..???"
    Yeah he was... I guess he left.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Vlademir said:
    "Wow, if that's the 360 version, I cant imagine what the PC version looks like! Props Ubisoft for their awesome optimization work to make it run so well.

Endogene said:
    Yeah he was... I guess he left."

I normally do not buy into the whole "equal across all platforms" crap, but I wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be true with this game.
    Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Jothel
    Endogene said:
    yeah he left a while ago to become IGN PC Editor-in-Chief
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By xruntime

O'Campo was one of my favorite Gamespot reviewers

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
    vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By vibratingdonkey
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Vlademir said:
    "Wow, if that's the 360 version, I cant imagine what the PC version looks like! Props Ubisoft for their awesome optimization work to make it run so well.

Endogene said:

I normally do not buy into the whole "equal across all platforms" crap, but I wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be true with this game."
    It's not. Has been reported that the PC version looks quite a bit better.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pause422

It doesn't need to be reported of that in the first place lol, everyone who isn't ignorant should know a PC version of the game, if you can run it well will of course look better. Regardless it still looks amazing on consoles.... thats the difference though, Ubisoft taking over the license in the best thing to happen to Farcry, all crytek ever want to do is make a pretty tech demo in their games, Ubisoft can make a great looking game , get it great looking on all platforms, and make it play awesome.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb
    VibratingDonkey said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Vlademir said:

Endogene said:

I normally do not buy into the whole "equal across all platforms" crap, but I wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be true with this game."
    It's not. Has been reported that the PC version looks quite a bit better."

lul wutevar stil lukz pwn
    kingmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kingmasters

I can't wait to hang guide and start tons of fires lol

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BiggerBomb

I might be dreaming this up, but I think I heard somewhere that you could actually drop molotov cocktails like bombs while you are hang gliding. That would be bad-fuckin'-ass.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pause422

Yeah I love the fire propagation it has... and the full day/night cycles aren't just gimmicks, they add plenty to how you can go about your choice of playing... they'll have normal times when patrols outside will go in to eat, change shift with others, and sleep too, not like other games where they stand in one spot or walk forward and back and nothing else.Just asking for a stealth attack when some are caught sleeping :P

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BiggerBomb

I'm going to switch it up between sneaking around at night with a trusty sniper rifle and AK'in foolz in the face.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pause422

I've seen how fun sniping is in this game man, its awesome with the way the AI behaves combined with the constantly changing day/night.... also the machete makes a return... I can't wait to sneak up on some dude and lay him out with it .

On top of the fact that we have yet to see a single bit of how the multiplayer will be..only  hint on that so far has  been the quote that there will be a "map editor for all versions, that will be better than any map editor you've ever used" or something along that line... can't wait to finally see how it turns out, wondering if it will be parts of the place in an open world setting, or just individual maps(assuming maps) and just how in depth this map editor is..and how people can get their maps around the game,  something people have only been able to do on PC's as far as shooters go for the longest time.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xruntime
    pause422 said:
    "It doesn't need to be reported of that in the first place lol, everyone who isn't ignorant should know a PC version of the game, if you can run it well will of course look better. Regardless it still looks amazing on consoles.... thats the difference though, Ubisoft taking over the license in the best thing to happen to Farcry, all crytek ever want to do is make a pretty tech demo in their games, Ubisoft can make a great looking game , get it great looking on all platforms, and make it play awesome."
    Crysis is far from a tech demo.

Ubisoft taking over the license has been the root of the destruction of many formerly respectable franchises (Rainbow Six, rest in peace). I hope the same isn't done to Far Cry.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BiggerBomb
    pause422 said:
    "I've seen how fun sniping is in this game man, its awesome with the way the AI behaves combined with the constantly changing day/night.... also the machete makes a return... I can't wait to sneak up on some dude and lay him out with it ."

Stop! It's Rambo time.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pause422

everyone has their opinions, although I never liked R6 to begin with until vegas.. it appears they've done a great job with FarCry though.. I've seen plenty of it and it appears to be looking great.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pause422
    BiggerBomb said:
    "pause422 said:
    "I've seen how fun sniping is in this game man, its awesome with the way the AI behaves combined with the constantly changing day/night.... also the machete makes a return... I can't wait to sneak up on some dude and lay him out with it ."

Stop! It's Rambo time."
    lol dude, I was actually gonna mention that scene where he decapitates that dude with the machete, didn't know who would get the reference though :P
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BiggerBomb
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xruntime
    pause422 said:
    "everyone has their opinions, although I never liked R6 to begin with until vegas.. it appears they've done a great job with FarCry though.. I've seen plenty of it and it appears to be looking great."
    Yeah, let me rephrase what I said - Vegas + Vegas 2 are good games. But it's kind of obvious they are using the reputation of these franchises just to make money off of them (Far Cry 2 has very little to do with the original Far Cry, its just for marketing, like Vegas has nothing to do with the original series, its just for marketing). I'd respect Ubisoft more if they stayed true to the franchise.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BiggerBomb
    xruntime said:
    "pause422 said:
    "everyone has their opinions, although I never liked R6 to begin with until vegas.. it appears they've done a great job with FarCry though.. I've seen plenty of it and it appears to be looking great."
    Yeah, let me rephrase what I said - Vegas + Vegas 2 are good games. But it's kind of obvious they are using the reputation of these franchises just to make money off of them (Far Cry 2 has very little to do with the original Far Cry, its just for marketing, like Vegas has nothing to do with the original series, its just for marketing). I'd respect Ubisoft more if they stayed true to the franchise."

No. Far Cry is supposedly (never played it) acclaimed for its open ended nature; however, it eventually devolved into a corrider shooter with a hackneyed omg aliens plot. Far Cry 2 is improving on its predecessor many times over and I feel bad for those who don't realize this.

Why do so many people hate change?
    HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Im excited to get this and gears 2 their my games of this fall

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By banksrob
    xruntime said:
    "pause422 said:
    Yeah, let me rephrase what I said - Vegas + Vegas 2 are good games. But it's kind of obvious they are using the reputation of these franchises just to make money off of them (Far Cry 2 has very little to do with the original Far Cry, its just for marketing, like Vegas has nothing to do with the original series, its just for marketing). I'd respect Ubisoft more if they stayed true to the franchise."
    so your saying they should basically make another game like crysis with aliens and crap, or just change the name which would loose them money 0.o
    DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By DARKIDO07

I'm downloading the original Far Cry demo now, if I like that then screw GOW2 I'm getting this.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pause422

Its not really a similar comparison DARK, I mean..they are similar in a way, but the new Farcry is leaps and bounds better looking, even from a simple 5 minute video than the original farcry ever was. Farcry 1 was like Crysis was, a 'open ended game' supposedly, but truthfully very linear, leading you downa path you had no choice of taking but that one, Farcry 2 is completely open and you play it how you want to.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Endogene said:
    I was just thinking the same thing.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pause422

He left to go to IGN at the beginning of 08 I believe, its been a while now. Good choice on his part.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By DARKIDO07
    pause422 said:
    "Its not really a similar comparison DARK, I mean..they are similar in a way, but the new Farcry is leaps and bounds better looking, even from a simple 5 minute video than the original farcry ever was. Farcry 1 was like Crysis was, a 'open ended game' supposedly, but truthfully very linear, leading you downa path you had no choice of taking but that one, Farcry 2 is completely open and you play it how you want to."
    Very true but it will get my feet wet, and yes I did like it. I'm probably going to this up and get Gears of War 2 latter, becuase I like to try new things first. For some reason I end up liking them more. I.E. Orange Box, Shadowrun, F.E.A.R.
    Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Otacon

Embedded for the lazy who haven't watched it yet

I'm definatly liking the look of this game.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pause422
    DARKIDO07 said:
    "pause422 said:
    "Its not really a similar comparison DARK, I mean..they are similar in a way, but the new Farcry is leaps and bounds better looking, even from a simple 5 minute video than the original farcry ever was. Farcry 1 was like Crysis was, a 'open ended game' supposedly, but truthfully very linear, leading you downa path you had no choice of taking but that one, Farcry 2 is completely open and you play it how you want to."
    Very true but it will get my feet wet, and yes I did like it. I'm probably going to this up and get Gears of War 2 latter, becuase I like to try new things first. For some reason I end up liking them more. I.E. Orange Box, Shadowrun, F.E.A.R."
    I definitely agree with that, even if I was the biggest die hard gears fan ever(heres a clue- I 'm not) I would still as far as just looking at both games(you can find plenty of gameplay footage on youtube by now if you wanna look of FC2) Farcry 2 to me looks a thousand times better than gears 2 does, it feels like more of the same with a few execution moves added, Farcry 2 even being a sequel also just feels so new and original still. So many things contribute to it, obviously the map editor being amazing and accessible to anyone, and just the way you can really customize your own playstyle. Its like the Oblivion of pure FPS's(not saying fallout cuz its more RPG than shooter)
    samoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By samoon

can' freggin wait!

snake6phw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By snake6phw

I can't wait, my most anticipated PC game of the year!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.