Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 4

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Far Cry 4 puts the player in the role of Ajay Ghale and pits him against a deadly antagonist and an even deadlier environment. Caught in the middle of a brutal Civil War while fulfilling his mother's dying wish, Ghale must fight back against the oppression of Kyrat's leader, Pagan Min, while also battling the ruthlessness of the jungle.

Far Cry 4 Thread: What changes should be made?

• 52 results
    ShortStacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Far Cry 3 is an incredible game. What more can ubisoft do to make Far Cry 4 better?

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

If I click abandon mission when I have accidentally entered the yellow mission circle-zone then just let me keep heading to the place I wanted to get to rather than reloading all the way back to a safe-house.
    So annoying!

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will never happen, but if they wanted to take Far Cry to another level they should look into randomly generated islands. Instead of focusing on campaign for once, take the opportunity to make the mother of all Ubisoft open-world games. I could see myself spending hundreds of hours going from island to island, clearing out generated outposts, climbing generated towers and looking for 10 more tiger skins. Then just take it to yet another level with rare spawns, secrets, long-term unlocks/goals etc etc. But hey, it's probably just my love of open-world stuff talking =) It would take a lot of effort to do it right (which I'm not convinced they would be able to pull off), but if they did they would have an instant classic in their hands.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Better framerate on consoles... Though that should almost assuredly be the case on current gen I would think.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weapon malfunctions!

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looting mobs was troublesome. That's one thing that irritated me.

Other than that? I don't really know. I loved Far Cry 3. My main gripes would be some story related stuff, but even that was not too bad.

DragonNinja789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I think better performance on consoles would be my biggest concern. I don't have a gaming PC and Far Cry 3 ran like GARAGE on the 360, so I'm hoping the PS4 version will run well. Other than that, I hope the story doesn't get super dumb like it did in Far Cry 3. I really didn't enjoy the last 2-3 hours of that game.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
    TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Take out those dumbass boss fights.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

Story, characters, side stuff, a slightly better soundtrack, and voice work for the wandering A.I. which not only said the same stuff, but also had a low quality sound to it. I would say visuals, but I played it on the 360, which looked OK, though had a pretty mediocre frame rate which took some getting used to. Visuals should be fine now though, since I can play it on new-gen consoles. I liked Far Cry 3 from a gameplay perspective, with upgrades making it feel somewhat fresh as you go along. I disliked the characters aside from Vaas, and he was killed off extremely early.

The story felt as if it was initially trying to be one thing, predictable, but interesting nonetheless, then stopped doing what it seemed to be trying to do, which was surprising, but disappointing, though I think if it had been what I had guessed it was going to be, then that would probably have been almost as disappointing since it seemed predictable. After all was done, I also felt it lacked replay value, so, since I did everything before the credits went down, I was plopped back in the world, sat there for a few minutes and said "Well, that's that!" and moved on, which I would have hoped for more; perhaps a new game plus or something.

The weapons were fun to use and upgrade, but after you upgraded the best weapons, there wasn't much reason to go beyond it and experiment with other ones, so you basically took the best you had at the time, so in that front got kind of tedious. Like I said, I enjoyed FC3 from a gameplay perspective, and the upgrades really made it great fun, but for me, I enjoyed Blood Dragon far more.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Corevi

More dubstep, I took this matter into my own hands with Far Cry 3 and I don't want to have to do that again. I play on PC so I don't really care about the console versions. An ending that doesn't suck would be nice.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope whatever minor changes they implement to improve on Far Cry 3 would be overshadowed by the new stuff they introduce by having it set in the Himalayas.

We're talking mountain ranges, snow and high altitudes. I want to see stuff like cold weather survival, ice climbing, wing suits (from the get-go), snowmobiles, weapon malfunctions, etc.

Story, missions and performance is all stuff that will obviously be worked on or be different.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Less douche bag characters, tedious fetch quests, horrible voice actors, dumb boss fights, pointless driving, and dubstep.

More stealth mechanics, weapon customization, specialty weapons, and interesting characters that actually live up to the hype.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitestripes09: I hope they keep the douchebaggy-ness of the main characters, it was just self aware enough to be really good.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Make sure the last half of the campaign doesn't suck.

Also hopefully they get multiplayer right this time. Far Cry 3's online was terrible.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Stealthmaster86

Weapon malfunctions!

YES! I love Far Cry 3, but Weapon Malfunctions was solely missed in that game. Nothing like having your gun break while in an intense battle in Far Cry 2.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Work on the storyline harder, don't be afraid to go completely stone cold with the characters, with the past two games you can really see them pushing to have dark or twisted things go on in the storyline but they never really commit, either go all out or don't go at all.
    In Far Cry 2 they kind of push the blood diamond stuff and war torn Africa and the effect it has on civilians, but besides one single choice you can make, none of it has any real consequence and even then the choice hardly counts.
    And in Far Cry 3 they set up a bad guy who is supposed to be this complete lunatic and the worst thing he does is kill a guy or two, big fuckin' whoop.
    Just go for it, shock us, stun us, make us fucking really truly hate the enemy. Make them deplorable or make us deplorable, but don't go halfway there and them wimp out once more.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Compelling side content would be nice. Neither FC 2 or 3 excelled in this area at all, and I have a feeling that this game will still follow the Ubisoft formula of having all of the side stuff be tedious busywork rather than interesting and varied missions that really added anything to the experience. Yeah, hunting and crafting was mildly fun, but that's literally almost all there was to FC3's side missions. All the missions you got from people were the most basic of fetch quests imaginable. If half the amount of thought that was put into the story missions was applied to the side missions, the game would've been way better off.

Also, if the game is going to have a villain as good as Vaas, try not getting rid of him half way through the story. That character was FC3's trump card and killing him off so early was a massive mistake, especially since it made way for a far less interesting main villain.

Lastly, strike a good balance of populating the world with enemies. FC2 obviously suffered from constantly respawning enemies every few minutes, where FC3's trouble was that once an area was cleared, no one ever came back, and enemies were already pretty sparse to begin with. That greatly detracted from the feeling of random encounters and battles throughout the world, and after awhile most of the islands felt lifeless and boring to explore.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GREATER. TOLERANCE. FOR. FALL. DAMAGE.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If they manage another villain as cool as Vaas, they should avoid throwing him away half-way through the story.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared: YES. It's ridiculous that he couldn't jump from 5 feet without losing 2 bars of health. My brother was replaying it recently and the amount of times he died from falling infuriated him to the point where he stopped playing. I was extremely happy when you got the "no fall damage" upgrade in Blood Dragon. I jumped off cliffs like nobody's business.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

My first thought is to have a more mature story like Far Cry 2, but the first details of Far Cry 4 make it seem like it is much more similar to Far Cry 3, which was (most of the time) a little too offensive, childish, and far-fetched for me. I want something more gritty that says something "real" about the world we live in - like they did with 2. Also, weapon malfunctions and malaria concerns made that experience more real. I don't want a disease throughout the entire game, again, but temporary illnesses that don't go away immediately with a health pack could be nice. For example, maybe there are only a few doctors at certain parts in the game. Otherwise, you just have to treat your illness, similar to the second game, until you get to the doctor and get fully healed.

Saying all that, I loved 3, and I'm really excited for 4!

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

GREATER. TOLERANCE. FOR. FALL. DAMAGE.

They fixed this with a patch. I've had no problems with this recently. Sliding down a hill leaves all of my health bars intact!

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dinosaurs.

Also, don't give me a guard uniform that trivializes the open world combat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
    deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The entire soundtrack should be Make It Bun Dem by Skrillex and Damian Marley.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Add vehicles to multiplayer.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GLIDE SUIT FROM THE START.

Jumping off cliffs in the Himalayas and fucking up the glide suit so badly that I crash is going to be so much fun.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Better back 1/3 of the story, more camps where I can kill people with my bow.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thunder-shotgun.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as its at least as good as FC3 I'll still enjoy the shit out of this game, but I do hope its not nearly a carbon copy in every way possible with just a different area still. That's the one thing that has me worried I guess, since it hasn't been all that long since their last game. Still looking forward to it.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'd like to see them go back and take more influence from Far Cry 2. With all that Far Cry 3 cut away to make a less tedious adventure, it lost a lot of the atmosphere. Between the tacky interface and the annoying main character, I found it much harder to feel like I was a part of that world. In Far Cry 2, it felt like I was traveling around an African environment. Albeit the respawning bandits and malaria got old very quickly.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I finished Far Cry 3 I really wanted to spend more time just messing around on the island, so with that in mind I'd really like the OPTION to repopulate guard posts after the game has been completed so I can tackle them again in different ways.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@zolroyce said:

In Far Cry 2 they kind of push the blood diamond stuff and war torn Africa and the effect it has on civilians, but besides one single choice you can make, none of it has any real consequence and even then the choice hardly counts.

I'm not gonna defend Far Cry 2's story too much because it was overly ambitious and "fell" short but I do feel like nothing having real consequences was maybe intentional. You do all this stuff but at the end of the day you are getting played and you as an individual can't change what has happened there

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Thanks for the spoiler. I haven't got up to that part yet. :(

Ubi need to tone down how much crap there is to do in their games. If you cane through the main story missions the map just ends up being cluttered with crap, the most of which I'll never do.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just give the protagonist a JC2 grapple. That might become my favorite game ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Get rid of the QUICKTIME EVENTS, please. Also I'd rather not have it, but you can keep it if you must Ubisoft; the teenage-boy power fantasy of taking over a native tribe and screwing their leader in front of them.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should get rid of any story missions

They should get rid of any intro and literally drop you into the world in a hand glider

They should make each outpost have random elements to them, IE the same outpost may or may not always have sniper towers, guard dogs, etc etc

They should give you Crackdown like powers the more you progress

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spoonman671 said:

Weapon malfunctions!

YES! I love Far Cry 3, but Weapon Malfunctions was solely missed in that game. Nothing like having your gun break while in an intense battle in Far Cry 2.

This must be a love it or hate it kind of thing. I HATED the weapon malfunctions in FC2.

With the type of game FC3 was, weapon malfunctions would have been just annoying.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Man, I get why people seem to want to see survival elements and breaking guns and all that FC2-ish stuff in 4, but I personally don't. I loved that Far Cry 3 was a game you could just have fucking fun with, once you unlocked enough ridiculous bullshit. Glide, bail, and wingsuit into a camp wielding a rocket launcher and molotovs? YUP. So, actually, I would almost be in favor of upping the crazy, but then we start to get in to some dangerously Saints Row-ish territory.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@onekillwonder_ said:

Compelling side content would be nice. Neither FC 2 or 3 excelled in this area at all, and I have a feeling that this game will still follow the Ubisoft formula of having all of the side stuff be tedious busywork rather than interesting and varied missions that really added anything to the experience. Yeah, hunting and crafting was mildly fun, but that's literally almost all there was to FC3's side missions. All the missions you got from people were the most basic of fetch quests imaginable. If half the amount of thought that was put into the story missions was applied to the side missions, the game would've been way better off.

Also, if the game is going to have a villain as good as Vaas, try not getting rid of him half way through the story. That character was FC3's trump card and killing him off so early was a massive mistake, especially since it made way for a far less interesting main villain.

Lastly, strike a good balance of populating the world with enemies. FC2 obviously suffered from constantly respawning enemies every few minutes, where FC3's trouble was that once an area was cleared, no one ever came back, and enemies were already pretty sparse to begin with. That greatly detracted from the feeling of random encounters and battles throughout the world, and after awhile most of the islands felt lifeless and boring to explore.

Great post man!

I agree on all three points. The last part of Far Cry 3 was really terrible. All the black out scenes? They made no sense, especially the last one.

And on the last part I have thought it's been an issue in multiple open world games as of late. FC2's system was god awful, but a toned down version should apply in just about any game. I love engaging in territory control and capture type gameplay but when it changes the moment to moment gameplay bland? It's a weird thing to realize as you are going through a game. Capturing the bases was the best part of the game but it was boring me with the content as I went along.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Slaegar

@yummylee said:

Better framerate on consoles... Though that should almost assuredly be the case on current gen I would think.

I dunno. The super framey leaked videos of Wa_Tchdogs don't paint a great picture for open world games this gen.

I would like a bit more gun porn like in STALKER and some better audio. Far Cry 3 also did not run super duper well on computers and I'm not sure how much of that could have been optimized out. You can get it to run nicely on a modest computer, but if you want to crank up all the goodies you need a R9 290x/780 ti to get a solid 60. Far Cry 3 looked real purdy, but I'm not sure if it looked that purdy.

No Caption Provided

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#42  Edited By DinosaurCanada

Maybe a New Game Plus, or some variation? Possibly a "hardcore mode"? Maybe, I don't know about either of those, but modders did it. It would sate the people who want a more Far Cry 2-ish game. I remember hearing that they added the ability to reset outposts. That would be cool to do first playthrough.

ALSO:

-Replace the throwing knives with the neon shurikens from Blood Dragon.

-Replace the bow with the neon bow from Blood Dragon

-Replace Vaas with a Blood Dragon

-Replace the fact that there are no Blood Dragons with Blood Dragons

-Let me equip Blood Dragons

-Bring grenade arrows back (serious about that one)

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should get rid of any story missions

They should get rid of any intro and literally drop you into the world in a hand glider

They should make each outpost have random elements to them, IE the same outpost may or may not always have sniper towers, guard dogs, etc etc

They should give you Crackdown like powers the more you progress

So basically you want a completely different game. Awesome....

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@clonedzero: Don't give me that "Im a cool guy Imma single out a post and be all snarky about it" shit. You enjoyed the main story missions? Really? The best part about the game was the outposts, making them random for other playthroughs would give it longevity. Giving the player stupid powers as a end game can be a cool reward (like Blood Dragon's movement speed, no fall damage, etc etc) Focusing on making the best part about the game have more variables between playthroughs would make the game better.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero: Don't give me that "Im a cool guy Imma single out a post and be all snarky about it" shit. You enjoyed the main story missions? Really? The best part about the game was the outposts, making them random for other playthroughs would give it longevity. Giving the player stupid powers as a end game can be a cool reward (like Blood Dragon's movement speed, no fall damage, etc etc) Focusing on making the best part about the game have more variables between playthroughs would make the game better.

Woah, bit hostile there champ. Relax.

And yes i did enjoy the story and the missions. And I actually didn't like blood dragon all that much honestly. Giving people super powers and hyper movement speed, and no fall damage, would kinda completely ruin it. FarCry 3 was great because it felt tense (i played on the highest difficulty) I had to use my surroundings or i died, i had to be smart about it.

A big dumb sandbox with powers and no consequences and being over powered would make me play LESS creatively. Same reason saints row 3 is much better than saints row 4, they gave you too much. I lured tigers into bases because i had to. I wouldnt have even thought of it if i had super powers.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By NTM

@rebel_scum: I kind of just assumed people that are on here played it and were okay with spoilers by now, so I wasn't going to mention that I'm spoiling something. I'm pretty good with spoilers, but I also think there's a time and place for holding off mentioning it, and this isn't it. Sorry though. If I were you, I wouldn't look at Far Cry threads until you're done playing the game... This is about what should change, and I took that as anything goes.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pie said:

@zolroyce said:

I'm not gonna defend Far Cry 2's story too much because it was overly ambitious and "fell" short but I do feel like nothing having real consequences was maybe intentional. You do all this stuff but at the end of the day you are getting played and you as an individual can't change what has happened there

I wrote a reply to this and hit post but I don't see it in the comments so if I double post my bad, anyways.

I'll admit that sounds like a really good interpretation of the story/general themes to that game. If it was intentional I'd have to give more props to the Ubisoft writing staff. And I'll also say I don't think the story stuff in either 2 or 3 were garbage or anything, I just think they could have been better. I will say FC2 had fantastic atmosphere at times, that helped towards the story.

I'm sure whatever they come up with for 4 though I'll enjoy it, I had a lot of fun with 2 and 3 and unless they go completely bananas I don't think they could mess up 4.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: It wasn't a spoiler thread nor should you have needed to finish the game in order to have an opinion on this topic. I accept your apology, no hard feelings. It's not like anyone really plays Far Cry games for the story anyways but it ain't hard to use spoiler tags either.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebel_scum: I don't think spoiler tags are always required. I think if you're super sensitive about it, just stay away from anything that has to do with the series until you finish the game you're playing... Especially any with a thread that mentions the game you're playing in the first post. Most people do that. Plus, since this is about what they could do better, from your experience with Far Cry 3, seeing as you hadn't even finish it, it seems you don't really have a valid opinion just yet in that matter.

Obviously, it wasn't a spoiler thread, but it also didn't say anything like "please, no spoilers for Far Cry 3". He mentioned Far Cry 3, and what the player would want it to do better since he thought Far Cry 3 was amazing, not quite as simple as "What do you want in this game?" I also disagree, the story in Far Cry (two the least though) is fine enough to warrant people putting spoiler tags down, this is an example, since you brought it up, though not here or now. Alright though, for future reference, I'll hold back spoilers for every single game...

Sorry to sound like an ass, but I disagree with you and don't think you should be getting on my ass about it, when you could have instead, been playing through the game and not going into sensitive areas that may or may not have spoilers in it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.