Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

FarmVille

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jun 19, 2009

Played by millions, FarmVille is a farm simulation game that takes advantage of the Facebook social network and your time.

How will the social aspect affect Betting the Farmville?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Nubster

I could see this going terribly awry. it isn't Farmville without social aspects, of course, and it makes sense that they would let the guys be a part of that. However, I'm a little worried that the other players will begin to betray the tactics of one farmer to the other. There's plenty of room for sabotage, so there should be some rules, such as not allowing people to post on Kessler's or Steve's wall, and not being allowed to read the in-game notes that you're allowed to leave. 

The social aspect is awesome, but I don't want it to ruin the competitive nature of the game.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By crusader8463

As they said in the video, it's now just going to be a popularity contest.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By gkhan

As for sharing strategies, I don't really think that will be too much of a problem . Even if Steve finds out that Kessler is making mad bank with his cotton growing, it wouldn't really make sense for him to try and catch up. Kessler has "committed" to the cotton path, and he'll reach mastery (or whatever it's called) pretty soon. If Steve were to try and copy his strategy, he'd always be a week behind. It would be much smarter for him to try and figure out his own way of pulling ahead. 

The one thing I'm slightly worried about is that users are just going to start sending them FarmBucks or whatever, and then it's just going to be a matter of who gets sent more. But they could easily make some policy about that, like that they aren't allowed to accept monetary help, only help with things like fertilization and stuff that requires cooperation.  

And I haven't played FarmVille, but can't you only have like six neighbors? I'll bet that both of them will end up with that, easily. And even if that's not the case (again, I have no idea), probably they'll get about just about the same number of people helping out.  

Really, I don't think it will ruin the competition at all. In fact, I'm looking forward to them doing stuff that isn't "plow, plant and harvest a billion tiny fields". There's going to be a bunch of stuff they can do now which seems more interesting. 

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By AndrewB

All I know is that Kessler would have won without it. Still wish I had placed my own wager.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By The_Nubster
    @gkhan: Alright, that eases my worries. It all makes sense. 

And you can have as many neighbours as you want, they just group into six in that bottom bar and you can scroll along it. It's crowded and poorly designed, takes up too much of the screen and doesn't communicate effectively what it does (but that's all of Farmville).
    drmadhatten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By drmadhatten

Even though I signed up just to give stuff to both of them, I do wish it was not socially open. Now I guess it's good that we can get involved with it, but I feel terrible.

MackSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MackSterling

If the social part of the game (adding neighbors, visiting other farms, item trading) wasn't so bugged up the cuss it would probably be affect the game quite a bit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.