Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

I disagree with those who want a Final Fantasy 7 remake

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 1

Edited By RJay_64

Hello again!  Well I am sitting here in geography class at my university and thought I'd make a second blog.  I picked a random topic, and that topic is...Final Fantasy 7.

A Final Fantasy 7 remake for the PS3 would be a bad idea.  I mean, there are boatloads of remakes out there already, not just in Final Fantasy but in other franchises as well.  Out must wonder, if there is a team that Square-Enix could put together to make a PS3 remake, could not they make a new game with new ideas instead?

I like the way Final Fantasy 7 already is, even with the graphics.  The blocky graphics give the title its own unique personality.  For example, whenever I think of the Midgar train scenes with Barret or anyone else holding his head in hands and shaking it, all I could think of is how absurd his frustration looks in his block form.  But I start smiling and listening to the music accompanying the scene, and the blocks make sense.  I do not need to be listening to incredible voice acting for Final Fantasy 7, because the music helps tell the story.  Plus, without voice acting, the script has to be much stronger in order to hold the attention of the gamer, and the script does rock.  

With realistic graphics, those simple scenes would come out much darker and wouldn't fit the music in some areas.  

Plus, I just believe remakes set a bad precedent overall.  If a company can make millions of dollars focusing on remakes, then why would they put out new games faster when they could just cash in on remakes?   These are companies after all, not our friends.  

What MIGHT interest me is an HD release of FF7 on the PS3, but with absolutely everything else in the game remaining the same.  Maybe that would not require too much effort either, so they could work on newer games.   I understand having a clear picture is important.  But again, I like the blocky graphics.  They are an art form to Final Fantasy 7, just as much as the 8-bit graphics are important to Mega Man 9. 

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#1  Edited By RJay_64

Hello again!  Well I am sitting here in geography class at my university and thought I'd make a second blog.  I picked a random topic, and that topic is...Final Fantasy 7.

A Final Fantasy 7 remake for the PS3 would be a bad idea.  I mean, there are boatloads of remakes out there already, not just in Final Fantasy but in other franchises as well.  Out must wonder, if there is a team that Square-Enix could put together to make a PS3 remake, could not they make a new game with new ideas instead?

I like the way Final Fantasy 7 already is, even with the graphics.  The blocky graphics give the title its own unique personality.  For example, whenever I think of the Midgar train scenes with Barret or anyone else holding his head in hands and shaking it, all I could think of is how absurd his frustration looks in his block form.  But I start smiling and listening to the music accompanying the scene, and the blocks make sense.  I do not need to be listening to incredible voice acting for Final Fantasy 7, because the music helps tell the story.  Plus, without voice acting, the script has to be much stronger in order to hold the attention of the gamer, and the script does rock.  

With realistic graphics, those simple scenes would come out much darker and wouldn't fit the music in some areas.  

Plus, I just believe remakes set a bad precedent overall.  If a company can make millions of dollars focusing on remakes, then why would they put out new games faster when they could just cash in on remakes?   These are companies after all, not our friends.  

What MIGHT interest me is an HD release of FF7 on the PS3, but with absolutely everything else in the game remaining the same.  Maybe that would not require too much effort either, so they could work on newer games.   I understand having a clear picture is important.  But again, I like the blocky graphics.  They are an art form to Final Fantasy 7, just as much as the 8-bit graphics are important to Mega Man 9. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

Everyone in that game had Popeye arms. One of the characters talked like Mr. T. There was a talking cat. There was a silly giant sword, two giant swords and a pissing contest between the owners. And people look at all this shit and want a remake that takes this stuff seriously.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @ryanwho: Out of context that sounds like an amazing game
    Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Chyro
    @ryanwho: 

I agree.  Nothing against the people who like FF7 but I thought the characters were terrible.
    nyuckelhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By nyuckelhead

I agree all the way. Remaking the game that really got me into gaming would be either really really cool or most likely be completely disappointing.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I just don't think Final Fantasy VII was that good to begin with. Go back and play that game, and it's certainly not bad by any means, but it is not the best RPG of all time or whatever, by a long way. That said, if they updated the whole thing, messed around with the game etc, modernized some things, it could be good. A straight port/graphical upgrade would not be good.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm not going to play that game unless they make a remake. Not everyone has played the game before. I can't go back to that sort of graphics anymore, it's too lousy. I'll just play my ps2 and ps3 final fantasy games instead.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By danielkempster

I agree with you on almost every point, bar your statement that the script rocks. Final Fantasy VII had a very shoddy translation and as a result of that I think the script is one of the game's weakest assets, even more so than the antiquated graphics. What the game did manage to achieve was create an interesting world, populate it with entertaining characters, and tied those two things together with a pretty great epic plot. It's those things that rock for me, and really contribute towards making the translation tolerable. 

But yeah, no remake. Final Fantasy VII is just fine as it is, and a remake with modern (Western) production values would harm it more than help it.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

I'm not going to play that game unless they make a remake. Not everyone has played the game before. I can't go back to that sort of graphics anymore, it's too lousy. I'll just play my ps2 and ps3 final fantasy games instead.

"
    This. I'm not exaggerating when I say it has the flat out worst graphics I've ever seen in a game. And before you say "graphics don't matter" the fact of the matter is that they do make an impact on your experience- especially if they're that bad. I've honestly seen Net Yaroze games that look better than VII.
    Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Teddie

I feel there are too many things that just... wouldn't work in an HD remake. Like that CPR mini-game, or jumping 50 feet into the air on a magic dolphin to reach a beam, among other things.
    I'm sure they'd also feel the need to take away all the classic charm from the game by re-writing the script into an overly-serious version, like they seem to do in their more recent games.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Gabriel

I agree the Sprites and Blocky characters add a personality you don't see in things such as the Advent Children Remake (P.S. Barret is Awesome)

soccerkid82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By soccerkid82

It's not a matter of taking that EXACT same game and giving it a facelift.  A re-make would give SquareEnix the opportunity to take an internal team's project and modernize it.  The dolphin scene may not consist of Cloud jumping 50 ft. in the air--the button prompt could be like that of God of War and he would run and jump off the dock onto the dolphin and continue with the game.  The same also goes for the part when you're climbing the Wall Market mess of wires to get to Shinra HQ after you insert the batteries into the propellers.  It's a blocky mini-game, but it could be remade in a way that would give fans a whole new appreciation for a spectacular game lost in a see of mediocre RPG titles.

I'm a fanboy for Final Fantasy VII--I'll admit it.  But a remake would satiate the palettes of fans because those true fans of the game want to see it.  They would cling to their PS1 copies of the games and pop them in for nostalgia's sake, but a modernized HD re-make is just what the doctor ordered.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Romination
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

"
    This. I'm not exaggerating when I say it has the flat out worst graphics I've ever seen in a game. And before you say "graphics don't matter" the fact of the matter is that they do make an impact on your experience- especially if they're that bad. I've honestly seen Net Yaroze games that look better than VII. "
    These. Also, I think a remake for the ps3 would be a bad idea. A DS remake, however, now you've got me right where you want me!
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By sagesebas

Okay the graphics for the characters arn't great, but many of the backgrounds and cut scenes look amazing, still pretty good. The game is a classic and my personal favorite.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.