Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VIII

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Feb 11, 1999

In the eighth numbered Final Fantasy title, Squall and his band of mercenaries fight to save their world from conquest and destruction. It introduced several new concepts to the franchise, including a subplot with an alternate main character, level-scaling enemies, and the Junction system.

Deep Look: Final Fantasy 8- Speed Run Tips: Killing Ultimecia

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

Hey Duders,

Here is the latest Deep Look! Deep Looks are largely gameplay and commentary like a Giantbomb quicklook; however, I try to cover games that have been out for a while and I intend to use the videos to highlight moments and mechanics that I found particularly worthy of highlighting and exploring. Also I aim to keep the videos under 20 minutes.

In this Deep Look I continue my FF8 speed run content in conjunction with with Giantbomb.com's Community Endurance Run by showing off how to beat Ultimecia. I explain how to deal with Ultimecia's multiple forms and explain what attacks she will use in each form. I also make good on a promise I made during the Community Endurance Run by killing Ultimecia using the GF Quetzalcoatl. If you want to support the Endurance Run then head to Explosiveruns.com and hit the donate button in the top right corner!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Fredchuckdave

For how bad/lame the villain switch was the Ultimecia boss fight is pretty fun and the final area is still extremely well regarded; maybe the best in the series outside of FFIV's crystal spaceland.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thatpinguino  Staff

@fredchuckdave: Yeah Ultimecia's Castle has a really unique aesthetic that is both deeply historical and ancient while also entirely out of time. I love the crazy rooms, especially the art gallery, the treasure vault, and the bell tower. Everything is both rundown and ornate in a way that is really cool.

I don't love the final fight because it is so easy, but that is really just a result of the battle system being easily exploitable.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#3 ZombiePie  Staff

Did you try casting "Life?"

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

@zombiepie: There are bosses in ff8 and ff9 that are insta-killed by life spells, but, alas, Ultimecia is not one. The End works on her though.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZombiePie  Staff

@zombiepie: There are bosses in ff8 and ff9 that are insta-killed by life spells, but, alas, Ultimecia is not one. The End works on her though.

I would like to mention that I have NEVER played a Final Fantasy game, but was able to make that reference.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thatpinguino  Staff

@thatpinguino said:

I would like to mention that I have NEVER played a Final Fantasy game, but was able to make that reference.

Sure you haven't... Look its ok to admit you secretly love FF games and know all of the series minutia. There is no judgement here.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ZombiePie  Staff

@zombiepie said:

@thatpinguino said:

Sure you haven't... Look its ok to admit you secretly love FF games and know all of the series minutia. There is no judgement here.

Let's be real...I have never played a game developed by Square Enix.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thatpinguino  Staff

@zombiepie: Well it look like you need to rectify that problem then. May I suggest FF8? It takes like 12 hours if you play it right. That is so short for an FF game!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Corevi
    @thatpinguino said:

@zombiepie: Well it look like you need to rectify that problem then. May I suggest FF8? It takes like 12 hours if you play it right. That is so short for an FF game!

FF8 is not a good game, we've been over this Pinguino.

@zombiepie You should play The World Ends With You. It's super interesting and the combat system is incredible, being half character action game half Dance Dance Revolution. The story is pretty good too and all the characters are well written if a bit too fixed to a gimmick.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thatpinguino  Staff

@corevi: I mean sure if you want a great Square game, play The World Ends With You. If you want the most Square game then play FFVIII. It has all kinds of cliches, plot hols, and improbable shit yet somehow it is endearing and fun despite itself. Also the world is pretty darned impressive. Also 12 hours is so short for an FF game. You may have to play the game a very specific way to beat it that fast, but come on! Think of the value!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, if you're after an entrance into the series I can't see past IX. Its throwbacks to the classic SNES games coupled with it being the most accomplished of the Playstation lot gives it a fair bit of scope.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thatpinguino  Staff

@shindig: Well yeah IX is clearly the right answer as far as which one to play. But having the mess of a story that is VIII makes IX all the sweeter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.