Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XII

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 16, 2006

The last Final Fantasy game released on the PS2, Final Fantasy XII is distinguished by its condition-driven "gambit" battle system, its Monster Hunter-like open environments and side quests, and its setting in the existing fictional universe of Ivalice.

Is this game worth playing?

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Simplexity

Before you yell at me, yes I know that is a stupid question, but having recently replayed Final Fantasy 9 and 10 and discovering I still love those damn games (partially because of nostalgia).

I guess before you can answer my question I will tell ya'll what attracts me to Final Fantasy these days, which is some good old fashioned JRPG combat, cheesy but epic plot some interesting characters and awkward dialogue, and I wonder is FF12 that type of game?

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By BulletproofMonk

The combat is different from the older Final Fantasy games. It's real-time and quite a bit faster. You should watch some videos of it, and if it looks interesting, buy it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

I personally hated how it played.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

If you want old school combat FF12 may not be your best bet. The story has a different feel to it as well. So does the world and the music. I feel that 12 is the least Final Fantasy-esque Final Fantasy game.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Simplexity

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

If you want old school combat FF12 may not be your best bet. The story has a different feel to it as well. So does the world and the music. I feel that 12 is the least Final Fantasy-esque Final Fantasy game.

This is exactly what I didn't want to hear (or read, I guess) as I was just looking for more Final Fantasy in the same vein as 7,8,9 and 10.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By CaptainTightPants

Yeah as mentioned it isn't good old fashioned JRPG combat, I personally hated everything about that game but that is just my opinion. ( I did enjoy FF10, and some of the older entries)

If you have a DS  they did remake some of the older FF games on there, and if you are looking for JRPG's and wouldn't mind a different franchise you could always try the Dragon Quest games.

halibut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By halibut

I personally loved FF XII, but I'm not sure that you will, based on your criteria for an "attactive" FF game.

For starters, the combat is not your traditional turn-based (or pseudo-realtime) battle system. It's more akin to a MMORPG, in that you run around the map, wait for a meter to fill up, and then attack the enemy. There is never a moment where you don't have full movement control of your main character. Another big part of the combat is the gambit system, which kind of allows you to program what your team will do ability-wise in any given situation.

Second, the plot is not nearly as cheesy, nor nearly as epic as in other FFs. Which is to say that it's really good, but you might feel like there's not enough "story". It also lacks most of the nonsensical trappings found in other FF games.

Third, the dialog and voice acting is fucking phenomenal. It's one of the best-translated and voice-acted games I've ever played, and it immediately sucks you into the world.

Fourth, the characters are all interesting, with fleshed out back stories (with a couple notable exceptions), but you'll wish the game spent a little more time with each of them.

I would say give it a shot if you can find it cheap or used, but don't force yourself to slog through it if the combat turns you off. Maybe read some old reviews or watch a few videos before making your purchase.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By BoG
    @Prodstep said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

This is exactly what I didn't want to hear (or read, I guess) as I was just looking for more Final Fantasy in the same vein as 7,8,9 and 10.

Sorry, that isn't to be found in XII. They really altered the formula. To be quite honest with you, XII has less in common with the rest of the main series FF games than it does with the tactics games and Vagrant Story.
    Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Simplexity

@BoG said:

@Prodstep said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Sorry, that isn't to be found in XII. They really altered the formula. To be quite honest with you, XII has less in common with the rest of the main series FF games than it does with the tactics games and Vagrant Story.

Bah shame, I guess i'll pass on FF12 then, thanks for the replies everyone.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By DG991

12 was the one i remember enjoying the most. But not because it was like the others.

rasko9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rasko9
    @Prodstep

you should buy it a couple buks wont hurt.  if you like ff you should enjoy playing this game. i have every ff since vii and i enjoyed 12. but honestly in my opinion the best ones were 7 8 and 10 lol.
    Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Giantstalker

Compared to XIII (13), I thought this game was marvelous. Although if you aren't into MMO's it may... irk you at first.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By DAFTPUNK

Go for it I loved that game, and final fantasy 10 was brilliant

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy XII is one my favorites from the series, but it's definitely not an old-school JRPG. It plays more like Dragon Age or Kotor than a JRPG really. 

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SlasherMan

FFXII is one of my favorite FF games, not necessarily for the story and characters, but rather for everything else. The combat was probably the most fun and engaging in any FF game ever.
    This is coming from a guy whose favorite is still, and will forever be, IX.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AuthenticM

@Prodstep: Try it before you pass on it. It's a great game. In my opinion, you shouldn't listen to the haters. The story and characters are not the cookie-cutter clichés found in every other entry in the series. This game was made by the Tactics guys; the story is very political. Whereas other Final Fantasies can be labelled as soap operas, XII is actually a good piece of drama.

Gameplay wise, Dragon Age is very similar to this game, albeit less customizable. When I first played DA, I felt as if Bioware had directly lifted the Gambit system straight from XII. You party members are very maleable and customizable. You can personalize pretty much everything about their attacks.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By beforet

FFXII always fascinated me .Everytime I tried to play it I was put off by the combat, but I would still love to try it again.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By BoG
    @Soapy86 said:
    Final Fantasy XII is one my favorites from the series, but it's definitely not an old-school JRPG. It plays more like Dragon Age or Kotor than a JRPG really. 

It doesn't play like any single-player RPG. It plays like World of Warcraft.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel

@BoG said:

@Soapy86 said:
    It doesn't play like any single-player RPG. It plays like World of Warcraft.

Final Fantasy XII takes some ideas from MMOs, but it's most definitely plays like a single-player RPG at heart. And some of its mechanics were lifted almost wholesale by Bioware for use in Dragon Age.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SlasherMan
    @AuthenticM said:

Gameplay wise, Dragon Age is very similar to this game, albeit less customizable. When I first played DA, I felt as if Bioware had directly lifted the Gambit system straight from XII. You party members are very maleable and customizable. You can personalize pretty much everything about their attacks.

Didn't NWN (or at least one of the NWNs) have that system? I vaguely recall them having the same tactics system, which would probably be what DA's system is based on.
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Aronman789

Holy shit, this game came out in 2006? I feel...old.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yes.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Hailinel

@SlasherMan said:

@AuthenticM said:

Didn't NWN (or at least one of the NWNs) have that system? I vaguely recall them having the same tactics system, which would probably be what DA's system is based on.

The AI customization in Dragon Age is really just Final Fantasy XII's gambits.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iDarktread

Yeah dude.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CL60 said:
    I personally hated how it played.
    Shadow71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Shadow71

I think you'll find this ends up being a very good experience, as its still one of the highest quality PS2 games you can find. There are some negative points, I don't think you'll find the characters develop quite as much as you'd like and the game definitely forces you to sink time into it to keep your level where it needs to be (in order to successfully defeat bosses).

But the combat, voice acting, graphics, and music are all very very good.

JudahJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JudahJones

FFXII is very much its own beast, and not like any of the FF series entries before it. I got it in 2006 when it first came out, played it for a few hours, couldnt'  get into it and  put it back on the shelf. But I dusted it off and threw it back in  a week ago and surprisingly can't stop playing it. I think its just so jarringly different from previous installments, and you have to wrap your head around the gambit system otherwise you WILLget quickly slaughtered. It doesnt help that the story is slow going and  the liscense board system means any character can be be anything, (so pigtailed diminutive Penelo can be wielding a 2 handed Greatsword with the big boys).  However it does offer an incredibly large and  detailed world with tons of towns to explore, people to meet, marks to hunt, etc. And once you get you gambits set up its very satifying to watch your party tear through enemies LIKE A BOSS while you direct the battle from afar. 

Also it ages well and looks decent on an HDTV unlike many  PS2 games.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By emem

I pretty much stumbled over this game for 2 Euros a week ago and decided to look into it by emulating it with pcsx2 yesterday. Apart from there being almost no lighting and a kinda ugly looking hud + text I am really impressed with the visuals so far. The gameplay feels a bit weird, but I imagine that I eventually could get into it after a while (if I decide to keep playing that is).

@Prodstep: So did you get it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.