Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XII

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 16, 2006

The last Final Fantasy game released on the PS2, Final Fantasy XII is distinguished by its condition-driven "gambit" battle system, its Monster Hunter-like open environments and side quests, and its setting in the existing fictional universe of Ivalice.

Something bout FFXII was announced. Probably bout the music.

• 66 results
    jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By jay_ray

The best Final Fantasy

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By TwoLines

Great, my least favorite Final Fantasy game. Super. So, 1-6 are everywhere, on phones, tablets PCs and whatnot (maybe not 1, I don't care), 7 and 8 get a PC HD releases, X, X-2 and XII get a remaster and XIII has a PC release along with all the 2 and 3 crap.

Figures that they skipped the best one. I know why, but that blows.

EDIT: Well there ya go. Sucks for the fans.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

it was bound to happen. Although even on release, on component cables it looked really beautiful. I think that painter style look better then the pre rendered cinematics.

bearfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By bearfield

Having nearly finished the IZJS edition on PCSX2 fairly recently (I stopped at Ridoran; planning to continue soon) I can say with some authority that a proper remaster of this game (namely HD textures) is probably going to blow a lot of people away with its visuals. It's a fantastic-looking game upscaled to 1920x1080 and AA'd to with an inch of its life via PCSX2 even with the textures being really bad. Hopefully we'll get 60fps too. There is a lot of really good animation work in this game that is slightly undercut by the 30fps limit.

Here it is running at 1080p/30fps and captured at 720p with something like 4x MSAA. And hot OBS + YouTube compression. There is a summon in that video so click at your own peril. Hopefully you can get an idea of just how clean it's going to look at 1080p.

I think the IZJS edition only choice for the remaster. It's superior in almost every way. More weapons and marks, many quality of life improvements, and an un-missable Zodiac Spear. The one area that I feel vanilla is better is that the player can see all the cool weapon animations just by unlocking that weapon for any character on the giant license board. Remember they had to animate every playable character (Ashe, Vaan, Penelo, Basch, Fran, and Balthier) using every weapon type (spear, staff, rod, pole, unarmed, dagger, ninja sword, katana, hand-bombs, gun, crossbow, bow, great sword, mace, et al). It's simply not possible to view all those animations in IZJS edition as the license boards are restricted to a few weapon types at most. Fran has an awesome great sword animation but you'll likely never see it in IZJS unless you designate her as a White or Red Mage (which you should most certainly do) or a Knight (which you probably shouldn't do). And if she's a White/Red Mage you have to burn a Esper slot to do it. And you don't get it until super late in the game. Additionally many weapon pickups are completely worthless in IZJS because no one in your party can use them. These are minor quibbles but they made me long for vanilla FFXII all the same.

Unfortunately this game is really long and there is a lot of annoying grinding to be done if you want to get the best weapons and armor, especially early on. The way the treasure chests have a chance to yield rare items and respawn means a lot of shuffling back and forth between screens to get that early Diamond Armlet or Gladius. It's a baffling design choice IMO and unnecessarily adds time (hours?) to an already lengthy game.

The good news is that the rest of the game is great once you get maybe 10-15 hours in and the battle system opens up to the point where you're not just spamming Attack and a few spells. The restricted license boards force you to consider your party more deeply and make normal and boss encounters more interesting (or at least a little more challenging) than in vanilla FFXII. The character growth stats are more important as a result but you also get pushed into making more conventional job choices based on those stats. You can't assign Penelo to be an Uhlan (spear user) and expect good results since she has such poor strength gain. It's a little too restrictive for my tastes but the tradeoff is that the combat and party construction is better so I guess it evens out.

All of that to say that this should be a really good remaster and hopefully it exposes more people to one of the better entries in the series.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dear friends,

In response to comments posted by fans, I want to rectify a statement made from the stage Saturday night at our Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY concert in Pittsburgh.

Following conversations with composer Hitoshi Sakimoto regarding new concert arrangements of music from FINAL FANTASY XII, regrettably, the term ‘remake’ was used in error during one of the announcements that took place from the stage during the concert.

We sincerely regret any confusion this has caused.

Arnie Roth

Producer and Music Director

Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY

Source from facebook

Sounds to me like there won't be a remake/remaster after all? That sucks if that's the case.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

FXII is a fine game but I had no idea why on earth it would need a remaster or remake. I hope SquareEnix spends its money on better, original projects instead.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By kasaioni

Alright, pack your bags everyone, time to go home.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Well, that is a disappointment (the remaster not happening). Oh well...back to waiting for KHIII, Final Fantasy XV, and the eventual Final Fantasy VII remake...

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm okay with that since FF XII is the only core FF game (including sequels to X and XIII) that I never finished. Maybe it'll grab me more this time around.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never played this one. If it comes to PC I will buy it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: The game is around 130 hours to 100% or so, which is a good deal longer than the others. Main story is roughly 40-50 hours which isn't much different.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#62  Edited By Jeust

@confusedowl said:

Dear friends,

In response to comments posted by fans, I want to rectify a statement made from the stage Saturday night at our Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY concert in Pittsburgh.

Following conversations with composer Hitoshi Sakimoto regarding new concert arrangements of music from FINAL FANTASY XII, regrettably, the term ‘remake’ was used in error during one of the announcements that took place from the stage during the concert.

We sincerely regret any confusion this has caused.

Arnie Roth

Producer and Music Director

Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY

Source from facebook

Sounds to me like there won't be a remake/remaster after all? That sucks if that's the case.

He said the term 'remake' was used in error, not remaster. But it would very hardly be a remake, as the game is gorgeous at it is already, and wouldn't benefit much from a remake, appart from story.

Although, I feel I jumped the gun a bit, on the original post, but I believe that, even as it wasn't denied, that the remaster is probably happening.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was there live, and was a really weird "huh?" moment before applause.

Still a great show though.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeust: But they also mention new concert arrangements for Final Fantasy XII so he could have meant a remake of the music possibly? The statement made in that post is super vague to be fair.

Even if they didn't mean a remaster of the game, after all the fan fair if they didn't end up making one eventually it would indeed be surprising.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

@jeust: But they also mention new concert arrangements for Final Fantasy XII so he could have meant a remake of the music possibly? The statement made in that post is super vague to be fair.

Even if they didn't mean a remaster of the game, after all the fan fair if they didn't end up making one eventually it would indeed be surprising.

Yeah, but they didn't deny it... It's something. :p

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#66  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I kinda think XII has the best realized world since 6. I'm definitely interested.

Edit: oh well, I guess it had an alright soundtrack too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.