Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Dec 15, 2011

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a direct sequel to Final Fantasy XIII released by Square Enix in early 2012.

What did you expect?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Phatmac

This is a sequel to FF13, so it'll probably be like the previous game. So for anyone still holding out hope for a brand new take on the franchise will be obviously disappointed. My point and constant complaint with people that outright hate what Final Fantasy has become is what do you expect? They've been going down this path for years now. And you know what? They still sell pretty well. So your complaints about how stale the franchise has become or how you don't like the art style is fine, but to expect them to make a game for your tastes is outright bananas. Also, I'm not a big FF at all, I honestly have no attachment to the franchise so don't label me as a butthurt fanboy. My point is that I'm confused as to what people expect of this game. You should know that this game and franchise probably isn't for you anymore, and you know what, that's fine. Your tastes have evolved or at least changed after the last "proper" FF game. You don't have to like the franchise or make excuse for yourself. Square has obviously moved on from what made the games great to you. They don't seem to be stopping anytime soon. This is mostly a post to people that want something different from FF13-2 that is inherently impossible to ask for. You can complain and groan as much as you want, but that won't solve anything. Yet, you still keep buying their latest releases of old games that probably don't hold up anymore. I don't want to sound unreasonable, but the reaction to this game seems off to me. It seems that people want more of this game that isn't fair to ask of. If you didn't like FF13, than what reason is their for you to have any expectations for this game. Like Brad said, "If you haven't played FF13 or hated it, than don't play FF13-2." It's really that simple you guys. Remember that this is for anyone that generally hates this game because of the hatred of what Square has become. You probably helped the process by buying their games time and time again. You're part of the problem. If not then great, your smarter than most Final Fantasy fans.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mandude

"Final Fantasy VI was the last good one. "
    "Final Fantasy VII was the last good one."
    "Final Fantasy IX was the last good one."
    "Final Fantasy X was the last good one."

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By white

@mandude said:

"Final Fantasy VI was the last good one. ""Final Fantasy VII was the last good one." "Final Fantasy IX was the last good one." "Final Fantasy X was the last good one."

I like how it ended at X. Very appropriate.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShadyPingu

I don't agree with you at all.

Square has been actively trying to court FFXIII's detractors for this game's entire development cycle. It's been the crux of their PR message. It's not unreasonable at all for someone who disliked FFXIII to expect something radically different in the sequel.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By zyn

You think the last one will be titled: "FINAL" Fantasy?

Macabros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Macabros

I admit it, I liked FF13. After watching the first trailers, I expected more story with an awesome Lightning, a faster beginning, less linearity. Unfortunatley you can only swap in Lightning into the monster slot, and that only if you buy the DLC. You are forced to play with Serah and Noel.

I read in a review : "but I think fans may be disappointed about the story in Final Fantasy XIII-2. Serah is the exact opposite of Lightning and acts as a stereotypical insecure lead."

And that is exactly why I am dissapointed.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By swoxx

I was expecting it to be shit

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By veektarius

They actually fucked with the Final Fantasy formula pretty hard with the low party size and that's a big reason I'm not on board for this one. Not when the party they give you looks this shitty.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CaLe

I'm pretty sure that the people complaining aren't actually buying the game. What would be the point in that? You can tell by seeing videos of it that it's not worth the time.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FritzDude

I still think the franchise is good enough for me. I fairly enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII, and I am sure I will enjoy this if I purchase it. But it's not high on my priority list and not something I will buy at full price.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

The problem isn't that Square is making games I don't like, the problem is Square is raping Final Fantasy. If Final Fantasy was doing well this sequel wouldn't have been so reactionary, which it is. Incredibly so.

And let's not forgot how hard XIV bombed.

Also Final Fantasy XIV came out, I wouldn't be surprised if you missed it.

The problem isn't that Final Fantasy is stale, it's actually the exact opposite. It's incredible fresh, the gameplay has some quite brilliant bits and I'd like to see where they are going after this. The problem is that everything around it is fucking garbage because the core creative team that gave the series its identity and comprised its heart and soul of the series has long dissolved and what's left of the team hasn't been able to grasp onto that core or established a new identity for the series. It's just a complete cluster fuck, millions of moving parts flopping against each other just barely managing to push a new title through the door every couple of years. Nothing is cohesive, it's a gloried landfill of half-baked ideas with no direction and no unifying vision.

Basically the people in charge and tremendous fuck ups and Square needs a changing of the guard.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Canteu

I like 13 a lot. I am really enjoying 13-2...a lot. I've only played for a couple hours now, but it has a very strong opening, and i really like a lot of the changes and additions.

The gameplay in 13 and 13-2 is probably one my favourite active turn based RPG combat systems. It's better than a lot of the old FF's where there are 100 skills per character but only 5 are useful, and pretty much mandated to finish the harder side stuff. 13 makes use of all of its classes and systems to great effect in my opinion.

Yes the story is somewhat lacking but still has epic moments.

Honestly i like what they have done. The combat was basically the same in all FF's up to 9, with a few different gimmicks thrown in here and there and changes to character progression, but they all still lead to exactly the same combat.

The mmo's are shit.

12 is shit.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#13  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@mandude said:

"Final Fantasy VI was the last good one. ""Final Fantasy VII was the last good one." "Final Fantasy IX was the last good one." "Final Fantasy X was the last good one."

You forgot XII, which many, including me, thought was pretty good. But in all honesty, Final Fantasy Legends III was the only good one.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mandude

@fisk0: I'm just picking the most popular ones that people cite as being the last good one. I actually think they're all pretty neat, even if some were kinda weak. Although XII is the only one I haven't played, and now lacking a PlayStation 2, I really regret not getting it...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.