Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

I've always said that there can't be too much story in a game

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By foggel

Boy was I wrong.

I just started Final Fantasy 13 for the first time today, and I never thought I'd say this about a game, but there are too damn many cutscenes. I figured the hour long intro was Square Enix being ambitious about its game. I accepted it, and got excited when I finally could start interracting with this video game. "Let's get it ON!" I thought to myself, ready to embark on another epic Final Fantasy journey, only to take five steps, and to encounter yet another cutscene. "Allright" I thought, disappointed and somewhat confused.

30 minutes later I could yet again interact. I fought off a couple of mobs, and was rewarded with one more episode of season one. Although, I started to feel more punished than anything else. History repeated itself as I fought off mobs, and was forced to watch more cutscenes. At this point my roommate asked "can't you just skip it" on which I replied "I wish I could *sigh*, but I have to understand the story." After a while I finally got into an area with lots of mobs to kill, and with that the chance to explore the combat system. I also remembered from previous FF games that it could be a good idea to grind XP for future fights. I could take a left to continue the story, but I turned right to take a detour through the mob infested path. So I grinded for a good while only to find out I am not far enough into the game yet to get experience points.

I've been playing for three hours.

Jesus.
    Mary.
    And Joseph.

In all fairness, I guess it should be mentioned that I have not really been playing for three hours... take away all the cutscenes, and I guess I've only been in game... wow, this is a perfect opportunity to make my point and say something like five minutes, but I'm gonna be realistic and say 30 minutes, because that fact makes an even bigger impact. So much wasted time! All the time that could have been used to study! ... ah. Who am I kidding... IT'S BORING!

I will play through it though. *Sigh* .... wish me luck.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By foggel

Boy was I wrong.

I just started Final Fantasy 13 for the first time today, and I never thought I'd say this about a game, but there are too damn many cutscenes. I figured the hour long intro was Square Enix being ambitious about its game. I accepted it, and got excited when I finally could start interracting with this video game. "Let's get it ON!" I thought to myself, ready to embark on another epic Final Fantasy journey, only to take five steps, and to encounter yet another cutscene. "Allright" I thought, disappointed and somewhat confused.

30 minutes later I could yet again interact. I fought off a couple of mobs, and was rewarded with one more episode of season one. Although, I started to feel more punished than anything else. History repeated itself as I fought off mobs, and was forced to watch more cutscenes. At this point my roommate asked "can't you just skip it" on which I replied "I wish I could *sigh*, but I have to understand the story." After a while I finally got into an area with lots of mobs to kill, and with that the chance to explore the combat system. I also remembered from previous FF games that it could be a good idea to grind XP for future fights. I could take a left to continue the story, but I turned right to take a detour through the mob infested path. So I grinded for a good while only to find out I am not far enough into the game yet to get experience points.

I've been playing for three hours.

Jesus.
    Mary.
    And Joseph.

In all fairness, I guess it should be mentioned that I have not really been playing for three hours... take away all the cutscenes, and I guess I've only been in game... wow, this is a perfect opportunity to make my point and say something like five minutes, but I'm gonna be realistic and say 30 minutes, because that fact makes an even bigger impact. So much wasted time! All the time that could have been used to study! ... ah. Who am I kidding... IT'S BORING!

I will play through it though. *Sigh* .... wish me luck.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

I gave up halfway through, and by that point the battle music was pretty much the only thing which kept me going.

Godspeed, sir.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Brace yourself for chapter 5 and 10,those are the worst.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Persona 4 does basically the same thing, although with even less actual gameplay.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By FourWude

It's not the fact that there's too much story. It's the fact that there's too little actual game.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lemoncookie01
    @MattyFTM said:
    " Persona 4 does basically the same thing, although with even less actual gameplay. "
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sooty
    @MattyFTM said:
    " Persona 4 does basically the same thing, although with even less actual gameplay. "
    At least Persona is kind enough to only do it in the early stages of the game and without terrible, annoying voice acting!
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @Lemoncookie01: I wasn't saying it was a bad thing, just that it does that. The first 2-3 hours of the game is all story, with only a couple of minutes of gameplay.
    foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By foggel

Sigh, I was hoping this was just during the beginning of the game. Through disc one maybe, but by the looks of it... -_-

And I guess I'm never touching Persona 4.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By haggis

There can never be too much good story in a game. The reason I haven't gone back to finish Final Fantasy 13 (which I was actually enjoying on some level) is because I've forgotten what the hell is going on. I remember the highlights, but the details ... no. Mostly because they just weren't that interesting. I told myself I'd watch all the cutscenes my first time through the game and after fifteen hours or so I started skipping, partly because they were boring, and partly because one character's voice in particular was so annoying I could barely deal with it. I did like Lightning, though, and wanted to see how her story wound up. But I can get that by looking at a wiki rather than suffering through another 30 hours of that "game." 

@FourWude said:

" It's not the fact that there's too much story. It's the fact that there's too little actual game. "
    This, most definitely. It could have been a much better game. FF13 is the best example of the failure of JRPGs to evolve for the better. I expect the story to be overblown, melodramatic, silly and nonsensical. That's how all Final Fantasy games are. But I expect some actual game in there.
    Grelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Grelik

FfXIII is much like MGS4 takes its self much to seriously and tries to force a cartoonishly dramatic story down your throat and hopes you're simple enough to care for it.

JoMate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JoMate

I actually had the opposite happening :p, I loved all the cut scenes and was playing (read watching) this game like shit until I got near the ends and without all too much backstory and directions you are dropped on huge plains with stupid side quests and a whole lot of enemies, and those appeared to be there for one reason and one reason only: grinding. cause try to advance without #@! grinding and you will be brutally slaughtered, at that point I threw this game out of the window and never popped it in again

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EuanDewar

The difference with persona is that all its cutscenes have a large amount of charm or in some cases plain weirdness. They are always fun to watch.
    dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dungbootle

I don't think there can be too much story in games. Tolerance for long cutscenes really depends on how interesting the story itself is. Though I will say that modern storytelling in games is at its worst when it tries to escape its own medium.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.