Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

Terrain copy paste syndrome

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Diamond

It's a 'feature' of FF14 I've spoken of in previous threads...  Well some Japanese site took the time to point this out beautifully and Kotaku linked it off.

Here's the source.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

The site's in Japanese and I'm having a hard time understanding the translation, could you briefly summarize the issue? 

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Geno said:
    " The site's in Japanese and I'm having a hard time understanding the translation, could you briefly summarize the issue?  "
    Yea, its in the picture.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Diamond
    @Geno:  Well to make it simple, Square Enix took many terrain assets and copy pasted them all over the maps.  The problem is it's extremely obvious when even playing the game.  I'll tell you these maps don't even show the sheer amount of copy pasting of terrain geometry that goes on during the game.  The game is mostly made of prefab blocks.

The effect on gameplay is that without using your map it's very easy to get lost.  Also the sheer boredom of seeing the exact same terrain multiple times as you travel in a single direction.

What some guy has done is created those colored bubbles or boxes around the areas that copy geometry.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5  Edited By Geno
    @Diamond: Ouch, looks pretty prevalent. Just another reason for me not to get this game I guess, though I've long decided that it's pretty much not worth getting anyway due to its other issues. 
    BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By BionicMonster

Why do you guys think that Square Enix doesn't even try when making an MMO? My theory is that they tried to use XI as a cash cow to finance their normal games,but now that that game is dying they're making a replacement.

Poost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Poost

Almost every game uses copy-pasted elements to create its environments. Go play Oblivion and Halo, and in 10 min you see prefab blocks everywhere. It's the way things are done. Crecente has been finding anything he can to bash FFXIV on Kotaku, so go there too if you want to troll fans of the game more.

bunnypot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By bunnypot

I'm in two minds about this hey, at the same time WoW has a lot of copied environments too, so it's a common trap for developers trying to push release. I feel the people who have already decided to get the game are going to have fun with it around the copied shrubs and the people who aren't going to get the game aren't going to consider this to be the straw that broke the camels back... there are much worse issues.  

I guess I'm going to get it and have fun with a bad game, you only get out what you put in. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Diamond
    @Poost:  There's a difference between prefab assets and prefab terrain & assets.  Halo and Oblivion don't do what FF14 is doing.

The game is an absolute train wreck, people don't have to look hard to find anything wrong with it.
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By m1k3

and yet im still getting it... weird.

Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Siris

all of life is copy, paste..

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NekuSakuraba

No Caption Provided
    Not finished, however as you can see - 

Red = Straight lines.
    Blue = Squiggly lines.
    Kilnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kilnik

Yeah; I was constantly having to use my map to get around... was wondering why. I do acknowledge that a lot of games copy attributes and spread them around, but not to this degree.   

I like recognizable landmarks in a video game; those places you return to over and over again. When you finally wander around without looking at your map, and those places become "familiar" to you, there's a sense of connectedness that turns to nostalgia in later years, giving a game longevity.  

I'm still buying this, but I hope I don't become annoyed by repetitive terrain.

bunnypot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bunnypot

It doesn't seem too bad to get from place to place, in Uldar I could always see the capitol city (and flying ships) to the south so it's not like you can't tell which direction you're heading, Just the reletive distance between two tree stumps. (which the aether stone and map directions sort of make up for)

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By scarace360

Why? Thats my only question why?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Diamond
    @scarace360:  They did it to save workload, surely.  It's a lot easier to copy paste terrain than to design new terrain.  You don't even save memory footprint in doing something like this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.