Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XV

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 29, 2016

The fifteenth entry in Square Enix's flagship RPG franchise, set in a world that mixes elements of modern technology with magic, a fantasy based on reality.

What are our reactions to this change?

• 112 results
    JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By JazGalaxy

I'm someone who hates what Final Fantasy has become post-VII, and the words crystal, kingdom, overworld map got me back in a tiny bit.

They need to show more to make me truly interested.

The main problem with these modern games, and this demo, is that cool stuff happening AROUND the central character is not gameplay. IF the world is coming apart, and it looks really awesome, and I'm just pressing up on the Dpad... I'm not having fun. THat's not playing a game. That's pressing up. It's as much fun to me if the visuals weren't there at all. That's what I'm afraid of about this game.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As someone who was really excited for the breakout PS3 game of the modern generation, then to find out it was going to ps4/xbox one, I'm fucking insulted.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm still calling it "Versus"

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104  Edited By Axersia
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sad it's not JRPGish, but they haven't really made a traditional kind of JRPG since 2006 and even that's a point of contention. I just hope whatever game FFXV turns out to be, is good.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By JazGalaxy

@axersia said:

@nezza said:

Is it action game movement though, or is it Valkyria Chronicles action movement. The one thing that wan't shown was any form of UI, so it could well be that the jumps and cover are determined by movement/action points rather then total freedom of control.

I've never actually played a FF game. Never really been interested to be honest. But this trailer has at least piqued my interest and I look forward to seeing how it develops.

It's an action game by the developers of Kingdom Hearts I & II. This has been known for 7 years now. Did we really watch the same trailer? Because I don't see how anyone could mistake this for a strategy game. Also, the UI was shown as well.

Well, to be fair, the idea that the game hasn't changed any in 7 years isn't reasonable. I think it's still hard to tell what kind of game it's going to be.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By JazGalaxy

@d_bones said:

Yeah i'm not mad about it or anything not at this late ass time but when the XIII series was announced I thought Versus XIII was going to be sort of a bonus action RPG PS3 exclusive. As a result now that it has been delayed so long it is getting changed into XV and seems like it is keeping its action RPG ness. So while i'm not surprised I feel like we are sort of missing a more traditional XV game since Versus XIII is getting transformed into the spotlight. Sorry if i'm being confusing. I know XIII itself didn't go over well with fans (myself included) but it retained a more classic battle system instead of being full on action. Had Versus come out on time we probably would have gotten XIII, Versus XIII, the two other Lightning games and now would have XV to look forward to. Oh well no use imagining possibilities. Anyway Versus XIII (XV now) always looked like da bomb and it continues to.

The trailer they showed at the last E3 and then this change from Vs. To 15 is square saying out loud:

"We don't know what to do with Final Fantasy anymore."

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

It says Final Fantasy on the box so i'm immediately interested. I hate FF XIII but liked to varying degrees every other before it so one bad game doesn't change my mind about the franchise as a whole.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't you played KH2 or crisis core? Looks something like both of those.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By JazGalaxy

@marokai said:

I'm sad it's not JRPGish, but they haven't really made a traditional kind of JRPG since 2006 and even that's a point of contention. I just hope whatever game FFXV turns out to be, is good.

SInce they were bought by Enix... yeah.

I wish someone would do some kind of expose'. I would love to read about what happened behind the scenes and how Square could come off of riding high and dominating the industry in the late nineties and suddenly being able to do nothing right for the past few years.

If they're struggling, why not just poop out another Crono Trigger? I'm not saying they should, but it would be what a company who knows they're struggling would do. So do they not know they're struggling?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By xyzygy

Wow. It sounds like Nomura kind of wants this game to go on PC as well. He kept talking on and on and on about how they will consider putting the game on any platform that is Direct 11 compatible. We all know it's coming t PS4 and Xbox One so the only other obvious one is PC...

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a name change. I don't care.

This is the only Final Fantasy game which has looked remotely appealing to me in a decade or so, doesn't matter what they call it.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't care what it is called. I just want to play more Final Fantasy. And I will give anything a try, no matter what they do with this game. Remember people, during the announcement of it being on both Xbox One and PS4 this morning, they said that just because this one is an action game doesn't mean the next one is (or isn't).

With this, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII and (the release I am most excited about) Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD I can safely say that I'm pumped for more Final Fantasy.

@marokai said:

If you like the older style final fantasy games, then check out Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light. I thought that was a fantastic modern-ish version of the 1-5 era final fantasy games. (Also, this morning the during Square Enix's morning event, they were asked about whether turn-based Final Fantasy games would be made and Hashimoto said "I believe there is a future for both action RPG and command-based RPG,"

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@benny said:

Haven't you played KH2 or crisis core? Looks something like both of those.

If it plays similarly to Crisis Core, I'm all aboard the hype train.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

New trailer. A LOT more gameplay shown. Looks fucking bonkers.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They said in the livestream that they have been debating calling it FFXV for going 4 years (and finally decided to do it over a year ago).

joetom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Is it just me, or does the art style actually look a lot different than previous Final Fantasy games? It's still anime-like, but there seems to be way less garish colours and buckles.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joetom said:

Is it just me, or does the art style actually look a lot different than previous Final Fantasy games? It's still anime-like, but there seems to be way less garish colours and buckles.

I think it's because of it's futuristic, modern setting. Like the trailers say, a good way to describe it is a fantasy based in reality. It looks almost science fiction and I'm loving it.

joetom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@xyzygy: Yeah, it looks pretty good. I really hated that look of XIII, so I'm really glad to see something a lot different.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#121  Edited By Nezza

@axersia said:

@nezza said:

Is it action game movement though, or is it Valkyria Chronicles action movement. The one thing that wan't shown was any form of UI, so it could well be that the jumps and cover are determined by movement/action points rather then total freedom of control.

I've never actually played a FF game. Never really been interested to be honest. But this trailer has at least piqued my interest and I look forward to seeing how it develops.

It's an action game by the developers of Kingdom Hearts I & II. This has been known for 7 years now. Did we really watch the same trailer? Because I don't see how anyone could mistake this for a strategy game. Also, the UI was shown as well.

Well, to be fair, the idea that the game hasn't changed any in 7 years isn't reasonable. I think it's still hard to tell what kind of game it's going to be.

I've already said that I have had no interest in any of the FF's, so it would not then be unreasonable to presume that I've not kept up with the story of this particular titles development. My own knowledge of FF combat has been the the traditional fare of characters standing in a line patiently awaiting their turn - something this trailer obviously did not show, interspersed with pre-rendered cut-scenes, and something which the OP stated that they originally wanted to see a straight up JRPG.

Now based on my own experience if you were to edit out the UI of, say, Persona 4 for a trailer and just show the battle animations it would also look like a fluid action game in comparison to the turn based game that it is. If you also were rendering conversations in engine, rather then the traditional 2D portrait and text combo as this game does when you wouldn't even have the transition in styles to change that perception. Without further context or knowledge of the game itself you can make a trailer look like anything. You could make a trailer that made P4 look like it was an animated series with selective editing.

My use of VC was not to say that this is a strategy game, but to show that it is still possible to have action elements in a turn based (ie more traditional JRPG) environment. Another example would be the running animation in XCOM. Taken without context, editing can make a game look like totally different to how it actually plays.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.