Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy

Franchise »

Final Fantasy is Square Enix's most famous and successful franchise and has been going for more than 35 years. With the impending release of Final Fantasy XVI, there are sixteen numbered mainline games, with dozens of spin-offs.

When's ten and twelve coming in HD?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I want both! I wouldn't mind if it were separate on PSN for $20, or $40 for both either on PSN or in retail. I'd hope they'd be 60 frames per second, all put in HD, and they use Dolby Digital. I know the reason why some don't like Final Fantasy XII and even Final Fantasy XIII, but I don't share the same feelings, I really like both those games. I won't lie though, I haven't beat any of the Final Fantasy games; have all of them, but haven't beaten any, and it looks as if Final Fantasy XIII is going to be the first since I just started playing that again for no apparent reason, and it's almost finished.

While I don't know the details of all of them, I do like all of them to a certain extent, though I do believe FFX is my favorite (even if I wouldn't argue over which is the best). As I play thirteen, I just keep thinking about Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy XII in HD form, especially twelve, 'cause that (albeit not only this), to me is one of the greatest looking PS2 games, and I'm sure if it went to HD, it'd look fine. I only got about fifteen hours into it, but every minute was fun, and I got a little less than half, or half way through ten. Six and four have great intro's. Eh, this is becoming tangential. I just want ten and twelve in HD now. One last thing, I'm really excited for the next-gen Final Fantasy game that'll be using that new engine shown in the demo a while back.

Just imagining standing in third person on the cliff sides of the mountain and looking over the city-like area at 3:25 is exciting to me, and I want to experience that. There's a lot of pessimism over this series now I believe, but I myself haven't fallen into this and I'm still pretty optimistic over what Square can bring.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

I really, really want both of these games in HD. I would buy them day one because I haven't played much of 12 and I never got to finish 10 to completion, though I LOVED it.

I loved 13 as well!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

@xyzygy: That's good to know. My brother buys all of the JRPG's, and so I'm lucky enough to play them when and if I want to, and if I have time after I beat the first before Dead Space 3 comes out, I'll go right into XIII-2. Did you play XIII-2, and how was it if you did?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By TobbRobb

Still got the Ps2 plugged in with both those games within arm's reach. So meh. Speaking of, I should probably finish FFXII at some point. It's the only one that I didn't play to completion. :/

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By lego_my_eggo

They did announce that 10 is getting an HD remake, but since it is Square they are taking there sweet time and not saying a word on when it will be out.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

@Lego_My_Eggo: Yeah, I didn't mention that. One of my friends had also told me that he was excited for that. I remember hearing about rumors of the game coming, but still, I hope twelve comes at some point as well.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By McGhee

I think FFXII was the best looking game on the PS2. It would look really awesome in HD.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

@McGhee: Yep. I thought artistically it was exceptional, and even the physics in some ways were impressive, like the way clothes moved as the characters did. I remember Vaan's lower half of the shirt moving depending on his movements. That seems small, but it was impressive to me at the time.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy

@NTM said:

@xyzygy: That's good to know. My brother buys all of the RPG's, and so I'm lucky enough to play them when and if I want to, and if I have time after I beat the first before Dead Space 3 comes out, I'll go right into XIII-2. Did you play XIII-2, and how was it if you did?

XIII-2 was great. The monster collecting aspect is really cool, but the story was contrived at times and sometimes I just miss having party members who are all capable of learning all the roles. What I mean by that is that the monsters are locked into specific roles: for instance, a Flanitor is a Medic and only a Medic. So if you wanted a paradigm with another role you will need to find a specific monster. Some may like this concept but I liked having party members who were flexible and could switch. Serah and Noel are great characters though and you only really have to worry about maintaining a few really useful monsters at one time since they will be occupying only one spot in your party (Serah + Noel + Monster).

Another thing I didn't like is that they re-used a lot of areas from XIII and even then they re-used them multiple times - it makes sense, since you're visiting the same areas in different time periods, but to me it came off as a little lazy.

But the combat picks up MUCH faster in XIII-2 because they assume you've played the first game. But knowing this, I feel like the combat never does get as intense as the fights on Pulse in XIII.

Although I have to say, the XIII saga has some of the best villains in the entire franchise with Barthandelus and Caius Ballad. Caius especially. So basically both games are really good!

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By dagas

FFX was the last FF game I really liked but I would not buy an HD version. As far as I know FF12 did get some kind of new and improved release lately but I think only in Japan. They talked about it in a podcast not that long ago, might have been the RPG Fan podcast called Random Encounter or maybe 8-4.

EDIT: I cannot find any recent releases of FFXII, they might have been talking of the Zodiac Job System version released in late 2007 in Japan. Seems that make quite a few changes to the game.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

@xyzygy: What do you mean by monster? Are you referring to the eidolon's? If so, I'm not sure how much you have to use them in two, but I never use them, and never really needed to in thirteen. Thanks for the info and opinion though.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy

@NTM: Oh man you don't know!? In XIII-2 you can capture monsters like Pokemon. Each monster is a specific role and has their own set of moves and you can level them up and battle with them once you capture them. It's really awesome! There aren't any Eidolons anymore. So your party will end up being Serah, a guy named Noel, and a monster of your choice that you can choose in the paradigm customization! So basically, when you want a Paradigm with three medics, you'll set Serah and Noel to Medic and put a monster like Cait Sith in, because she's a Medic monster. If you want a Relentless Assault paradigm, you'll need to have two Ravagers and a Commando. So you can possibly put Serah as RAV, Noel as COM, and get a RAV monster. When you switch paradigms mid-battle, the monster will switch as well!

And by monster I actually mean ANY enemy you fight! Minus bosses of course. My party currently has three different type of Chocobos as the three main monsters to use in Paradigms, I'm pretty far into post-game. Chocobos are crazy awesome if you can get them.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Download the PS2 emulator for your PC and put the DVDs into your computer. Bam, HD version. Looks great!

More importantly, when are they remaking FF6? It was my favorite of the series, bar none.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IBurningStar

If I could buy X, X-2, and XII all in HD and on one disc I would pay full retail price. It would be even better if the version of XII was the International version, so I could finally try out the Zodiac Job System.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TruthTellah

I would quite enjoy FFIX in HD. Get rid of the jaggies that are 1/4 of the visuals in the game. heh.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NTM

@xyzygy: No, actually you just reminded me of that. My mistake. I remember my brother telling me about some of that when he was going through it whenever it came out, but since my mind was on other stuff, that little bit was easy to forget. I also do happen to remember watching him, and yeah, there were these little monsters on his side, like the ones you typically fight.

I remember there were no eidolon's as well other than Lightning's at the beginning. Thanks for reminding me. I actually saw him play the game a bit, but not all that much. I saw the beginning and the ending, his ending, and other smaller stuff. The majority of the things you fight in FF13 isn't all that intense, not even the enemies on Pulse, they were just hard at first, which made me stay in one area for over ten hours upgrading! Ha ha.

I only remember what the cutscenes looked like and the setting you were in early on, but since it's been a long time since I've played it, I don't remember some of the characters' names, and one I'm trying to remember was a boss you fight in a... like it was a sewer-like place or something, and he killed me twice before I beat him, but he was one of the rare things I fought in the game that kept me at the edge of my seat.

And thanks for the advice, ha ha. I think I can handle it all pretty well, but I don't understand how so many people know how to do all this side stuff, like get the ultima weapon and crap like that, as my brother does. I mean, I know it has to do with taking certain components and putting them together, but that's not something I can figure out without going on the internet, and since I rarely go on the internet or any other source to get help, I just don't do it. If I don't do it for other games, I don't want to do it for this.

I'm just hoping Bartenderous is easy enough to beat, and yes, I know I spelled his name wrong. Is it 'spelled' or 'spelt'. It says spelt is wrong, but I was going to say that. Eh whatever.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Morrow

Oh don't get me started with FF HD remakes...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

@IBurningStar: Oh yeah, I forgot about X-2. Huh.

@Sticky_Pennies: Ha ha, my laptop wouldn't even be able to handle that. And I guess I'll have to read what this other version is, 'cause I've never heard of it until now as mentioned above.

@TruthTellah: While I can play that, that's the Final Fantasy I think least about, and probably know the least about. That's not to say I dislike it in any way, I just forget about that game when I think about Final Fantasy. I think it's a lot of people's favorite FF right? I always hear that it's either seven, six, four, nine and even sometimes eight, though that's at times the argument; that or seven. What's Final Fantasy V? I have that as well, but I don't know which one that is.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM

@Morrow: OK, I won't :).

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TruthTellah

@NTM: Final Fantasy V is FF5. It got an odd release overseas; so, that may be why you aren't as familiar with it. A lot of people really like its job system.

I don't know if I'd say FF9 is my favorite, but it's definitely a classic that I enjoy more as time goes on. The whole thing is just very creative and fun. I'm not sure I've liked a FF as much since then. I still played the heck out of FFX and became a Blitzball pro, but those earlier games just feel a bit more timeless to me.

The only drawback I can really see now for FF9 is that it just looks super jagged on HD tvs now. It was great on SD, but now it just looks really rough. On an emulator, it can be made to look quite nice again with just basic AA. So, I'd quite like if they had an official HD rerelease. I think it would look nice and remind people of what FF games can be like.

I actually watched a speedrun of it yesterday, too. Other than the jaggies, the game itself really holds up.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SlashDance

The european version of FFX was atrocious, so that's a game that would definitely benefit from a re-release.

A Final Fantasy collection with the 3 PS2 games would probably sell like gangbusters.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

@TruthTellah: I like how you started out with 'Final Fantasy V is FF5', ha ha. That's not really what I meant. My brother recently has been saying that he needs to go back and beat that 'cause it's the only one he hasn't beaten yet, that's the only reason I know we have it, and maybe if I saw it I'd be reminded of what it was, but as of right now, I don't have any clue of what it looks like. As for the remake of nine, I think by now, if they were ever planning on doing that again, it'd probably just be an entire remake, kind of like what they did with the games on DS, or the remake a lot of people want or had wanted of seven.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TruthTellah

@NTM: haha. You'd be surprised what some people get confused by when it comes to the titles of the FF games.

FF5:

As far as 9 goes, I don't think a hd version is too far-fetched, especially considering them saying they were working on some kind of hd rerelease of FFX. Just depends on what they think of the demand.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NTM

@TruthTellah: No, that's actually very true, to both things you said.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NTM

@xyzygy: I just beat 13. It was really good. I may go back and do side stuff on Pulse before I go into XIII-2. Just thought I'd post on here because of it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By toowalrus

I've never played either, but I'll probably play FFX when it comes to Vita.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Hunter5024

That FFX HD remake has been announced for over a year now I think, and I'm pretty sure that it's not even out in Japan yet. Honestly I have no idea what's taking them so long, but most HD collections manage to do 3 games in half this time. In fact, the Kingdom Hearts one has already been dated for Japan and that was announced only a couple of months ago, and includes two full games and a bunch of cutscenes. So what the hell Square?

Also if they made an HD version of the Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac edition I would be willing to give that game a third shot, because that version sounds like it fixed a lot of the problems I had with the original (except like, the most important one.)

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RE_Player1

@Hunter5024: They made some comment recently about having news on FFX HD soon. Like you I have no idea what took them so long.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SuperWristBands

I've played FFXII on an emulator and it looks really good in HD. Unfortunately my PC couldn't handle it when I got into some of the larger areas and had I to give up. Sadly if they were to re-release them on the current gen they wouldn't look quite as good as they do on the emulator I was using (which wasn't even at max cause my PC is not so good).

I'd also like to see FFIX get a re-release. I assume that one would probably be able to look it's best on current consoles.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By pr1mus

Making this would allow Square to make an announcement. And they LOVE making announcements. It'd also be pretty great if they follow said announcement with an actual release of the games.

I'd buy FF XII again. That game is brilliant but unfortunately looks atrocious on an HD TV despite looking so great in its time.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Canteu

I would love the hell out of 10 in HD, but only if they made it so experience was party wide, so i don't have to swap everyone out every fight.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RazielCuts

@SlashDance said:

The european version of FFX was atrocious, so that's a game that would definitely benefit from a re-release.

Explain.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hunter5024

@msavo: That's good to know, I was starting to worry maybe there was some sort of weird problem they ran into and they were going to let the project quietly die.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#34  Edited By alistercat

Right now, on PCSX2.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Hunter5024 said:

That's good to know, I was starting to worry maybe there was some sort of weird problem they ran into and they were going to let the project quietly die.

The "weird problem" they ran into would be Final Fantasy XIV launching to near universal derision, and then tons of people being reassigned to try to fix it. The Kingdom Hearts HD remix was apparently left with just two people working on it, so I would imagine they have a similar skeleton crew working on FFX HD.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Animasta

12 never because square doesn't like their good games D:

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hunter5024

@BlackLagoon said:

@Hunter5024 said:

That's good to know, I was starting to worry maybe there was some sort of weird problem they ran into and they were going to let the project quietly die.

The "weird problem" they ran into would be Final Fantasy XIV launching to near universal derision, and then tons of people being reassigned to try to fix it. The Kingdom Hearts HD remix was apparently left with just two people working on it, so I would imagine they have a similar skeleton crew working on FFX HD.

Final Fantasy 14 launched about a year before FFX HD was announced, the dates don't really line up.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Hunter5024 said:

Final Fantasy 14 launched about a year before FFX HD was announced, the dates don't really line up.

How so? They're still working on the FF 14 relaunch ("A Realm Reborn"), and Square-Enix said straight out in some shareholder thing that it had been a huge drain on their in-house development resources, reducing their ability to put out current gen games. And as I said, Kingdom Hearts HD had only two people, and it started development before FF X HD was announced, so I think it's pretty likely that the latter just suffered the same fate.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SlashDance

@RazielCuts said:

@SlashDance said:

Explain.

Mainly crushed image and slower animation.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hunter5024

@BlackLagoon said:

@Hunter5024 said:

How so? They're still working on the FF 14 relaunch ("A Realm Reborn"), and Square-Enix said straight out in some shareholder thing that it had been a huge drain on their in-house development resources, reducing their ability to put out current gen games. And as I said, Kingdom Hearts HD had only two people, and it started development before FF X HD was announced, so I think it's pretty likely that the latter just suffered the same fate.

Well by the time they announced FFX, they should've already known that they wouldn't be able to get behind the remaster in force, because plans for fixing FF14 were already underway. Which would make announcing it that early kind of dumb. Then again, you're probably right, because they've done that same dumb thing a couple of times already.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Hunter5024: The timing of the announcement was probably because Sony wanted something big attached to the Vita. Hopefully this works out better than the BioShock and Zone of the Enders annonucements.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NTM

@Hunter5024: What's so bad about Vaan? Hm, I liked him enough.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hunter5024

@NTM said:

@Hunter5024: What's so bad about Vaan? Hm, I liked him enough.

My main issue with him is that he barely has anything to do with the plot (in fact the director originally envisioned Basch as the main character, but Square felt that a younger character would resonate better, so he was kind of shoe horned in), aside from that I think his androgynous face, and "please look at my chest" character design is kind of eye roll worthy, and overall I just thought he lacked personality and development. Making a character like that the lead protagonist hurt the narrative in my opinion, and I think the game would have had a much stronger story if he hadn't existed.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#44  Edited By Slag

bah, this thread got my hopes up a 12 remake was actually in the works.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.