Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Flower

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 12, 2009

A highly-acclaimed game that allows players to control the wind and collect flower petals while exploring a lush, colorful environment. Its innovative gameplay often seeks to create a soothing and relaxing experience through a combination of visuals and audio to complement the narrative.

Flower Review

• 51 results
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

Edited By Icemael

Flower is what happens when a bunch of no-good hippies learn how to utilize the Playstation 3's power.

☆ (out of five)

For years, indie developers have tried to convince themselves -- and, by extension, others -- that conventions are a bad thing; that challenge and complexity -- the cornerstones of any mechanically outstanding video game -- are harmful; that the "experience" -- whatever that's supposed to mean -- is what's important (as if conventions, challenge and complexity aren't what have provided the very best video game experiences, and continue to do so!) Flower is, as I see it, the culmination of this process: a game almost completely free of all those things, and that everyone seems to love. So without further ado, let's take a look.

In Flower, you are the wind. You accelerate by pressing any button except START, which pauses, and control your direction by tilting the Playstation 3 controller. You have one objective: collecting petals. You do this by flying onto flowers, making them bloom. Flowers come in different colours. Activate enough flowers of one colour, and either 1) new flowers of another colour appear, or 2) a new path opens up. The flowers aren't hidden (there are "secret" flowers, but you make them appear simply by collecting enough non-secret petals), and aside from a couple of stationary, easily avoidable obstacles -- that, even if you do bump into them, cannot kill you; they simply destroy the petals you've collected (which really doesn't matter, because they still count; you don't have to go back and re-collect them) -- that only appear on one of the game's six levels, there are no hazards. If Peggle and flOw are casual, Flower is ultra-casual (which is relaxing and pleasant in theory, but dull and tedious in practice) -- there is literally no way of losing, and the only thing required to succeed is a pair of eyes.

Actually, that's not entirely true: you also need a whole lot of patience. The tilt controls are a tad imprecise, so you'll frequently find yourself missing a flower or three, and the rate at which the wind turns makes Leon of Resident Evil 4 seem like the most agile man in the world, making returning to pick them up a huge pain. It's especially annoying in one level, where there's a long path in which the wind -- not your wind, but another -- blows; going against the direction of said wind is practically impossible, so what you have to do if you miss a flower is fly up to a point at which the wind, which moves along the ground, no longer affects you, fly backwards, and then fly back down into the wind to try and collect the missed flower -- and pray to God that the shoddy controls don't let you down again. It's hard to see why the developers couldn't at least have included an option for analogue stick control -- the Sixaxis' imprecision in not exactly a secret, and they must have known that the problems I'm talking about would occur -- or, if they felt that the tilt controls were that integral, that vital a part of the experience, have left out that goddamned wind. It's not like it actually does something -- aside from pissing you off and wasting your time, that is.

For all its failures, there is one area in which Flower undeniably succeeds: it's a beautiful, beautiful game. The lighting is superb, the use of colour better, and the way the grass sways in the wind almost uncannily lifelike. It's possibly the best-looking game the Playstation 3 has ever seen -- were I reviewing it as a technical showpiece, I would have given it a glowing five stars; 10/10; A+. Unfortunately, I'm not. I'm reviewing it as a game, and as a game, Flower is awful. The controls are horrible, the objectives boring (collectathon missions are bad enough when acting as filler in otherwise good games; how anyone could think an entire game based on the concept would work is beyond me) and the level design abysmal. But I guess that's all you can expect when a bunch of no-good hippies who blurt out brain-dead nonsense like "our video game version of a poem" (And keep in mind that they aren't talking about a specific poem. Imagine a comic book artist saying "this is my comic version of a book", or a painter saying "this is my painting version of a movie". They would be laughed at -- and so should these idiots!) learn how to utilize the Playstation 3's power.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Icemael

Flower is what happens when a bunch of no-good hippies learn how to utilize the Playstation 3's power.

☆ (out of five)

For years, indie developers have tried to convince themselves -- and, by extension, others -- that conventions are a bad thing; that challenge and complexity -- the cornerstones of any mechanically outstanding video game -- are harmful; that the "experience" -- whatever that's supposed to mean -- is what's important (as if conventions, challenge and complexity aren't what have provided the very best video game experiences, and continue to do so!) Flower is, as I see it, the culmination of this process: a game almost completely free of all those things, and that everyone seems to love. So without further ado, let's take a look.

In Flower, you are the wind. You accelerate by pressing any button except START, which pauses, and control your direction by tilting the Playstation 3 controller. You have one objective: collecting petals. You do this by flying onto flowers, making them bloom. Flowers come in different colours. Activate enough flowers of one colour, and either 1) new flowers of another colour appear, or 2) a new path opens up. The flowers aren't hidden (there are "secret" flowers, but you make them appear simply by collecting enough non-secret petals), and aside from a couple of stationary, easily avoidable obstacles -- that, even if you do bump into them, cannot kill you; they simply destroy the petals you've collected (which really doesn't matter, because they still count; you don't have to go back and re-collect them) -- that only appear on one of the game's six levels, there are no hazards. If Peggle and flOw are casual, Flower is ultra-casual (which is relaxing and pleasant in theory, but dull and tedious in practice) -- there is literally no way of losing, and the only thing required to succeed is a pair of eyes.

Actually, that's not entirely true: you also need a whole lot of patience. The tilt controls are a tad imprecise, so you'll frequently find yourself missing a flower or three, and the rate at which the wind turns makes Leon of Resident Evil 4 seem like the most agile man in the world, making returning to pick them up a huge pain. It's especially annoying in one level, where there's a long path in which the wind -- not your wind, but another -- blows; going against the direction of said wind is practically impossible, so what you have to do if you miss a flower is fly up to a point at which the wind, which moves along the ground, no longer affects you, fly backwards, and then fly back down into the wind to try and collect the missed flower -- and pray to God that the shoddy controls don't let you down again. It's hard to see why the developers couldn't at least have included an option for analogue stick control -- the Sixaxis' imprecision in not exactly a secret, and they must have known that the problems I'm talking about would occur -- or, if they felt that the tilt controls were that integral, that vital a part of the experience, have left out that goddamned wind. It's not like it actually does something -- aside from pissing you off and wasting your time, that is.

For all its failures, there is one area in which Flower undeniably succeeds: it's a beautiful, beautiful game. The lighting is superb, the use of colour better, and the way the grass sways in the wind almost uncannily lifelike. It's possibly the best-looking game the Playstation 3 has ever seen -- were I reviewing it as a technical showpiece, I would have given it a glowing five stars; 10/10; A+. Unfortunately, I'm not. I'm reviewing it as a game, and as a game, Flower is awful. The controls are horrible, the objectives boring (collectathon missions are bad enough when acting as filler in otherwise good games; how anyone could think an entire game based on the concept would work is beyond me) and the level design abysmal. But I guess that's all you can expect when a bunch of no-good hippies who blurt out brain-dead nonsense like "our video game version of a poem" (And keep in mind that they aren't talking about a specific poem. Imagine a comic book artist saying "this is my comic version of a book", or a painter saying "this is my painting version of a movie". They would be laughed at -- and so should these idiots!) learn how to utilize the Playstation 3's power.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Is that 1 star? Also is this review coming up now? A year after the release of flower?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Icemael

That is indeed one star. And yes, this review is coming up now. A year after the release of Flower. Which I bought and played today.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By WickedCestus

Shouldn't this be a user-review instead of a blog post?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Icemael
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Azteck
    @Icemael said:
    " @supermike6: It is a user review. It is also a blog post. "
    Why post it twice?
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ch13696

Is this the new fad? Where people bash on indie games now? C'mon guys, games like Flower, Linger in Shadows, and... can't think of other ones, aren't really games. It's more like art. So give them a break.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Icemael
    @Azteck said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @supermike6: It is a user review. It is also a blog post. "
    Why post it twice? "
    Because if I've spent my valuable time writing a review, I want people to read it. I also want people to discuss it. 

What's great about the user review function it that it works long-term; if you post something there, it doesn't get buried like a blog post. However, it's not really great for discussion, and not many visit the user review page (at least no in comparison to the people who visit the forum). So that's why I post my reviews both as user reviews and blogs.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

I can't comment on the game (I haven't played it, and I don't want to spout your opinion in case I do), so I'll just ask what happened to the Silent Hill 2 thingy :P.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Icemael
    @Video_Game_King: I got tired of the game. I know, I know, I said I had committed to finishing it even if it was boring, but... dude, it was so boring. And I had other games I wanted to play, like Klonoa and Bayonetta.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By dbz1995

What would you consider a game to be, duder?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Icemael: 

Yes, it was boring in that nothing happened ever, but still,  you gotta finish it. As for Klonoa, which Klonoa? There are a ton of those games, and the first one was remade for the Wii.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Icemael
    @dbz1995: Uh... what? 

@Video_Game_King: The one that's simply called Klonoa. The Wii remake, that is. 

If I find myself with no games to play, no work to do and nothing to watch on the TV, I might go back and finish up Silent Hill 2. I might.
    snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By snakeitachi

wow flower is not a game its  an experince you idiot  thats what they set out to do maybe its just that your bouring ( Silent hill 2 is one of the best games on the ps2) your probly guy who dosent apperciate games like flower and silent hill 2 go find smething better to do buddy..
    Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fontan

Don't tell Brad about this review.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bones8677

Flower is not mean to be your standard game. It is supposed to be an experience, an experiment. Saying that you have to judge it as any other games shows that you didn't even attempt to understand what it set out to do.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By dbz1995
    @Icemael:  I liked Flower a lot, because I think a game is something enjoyable in which you are in control of something. Whilst I agree that the controls weren't extremely responsive, I loved the graphics and the music-so much so that I enjoyed the game itself. However, it isn't everybody's cup of tea.
        I asked you what you thought a 'game' was because you obviously have a different point of view as to what a game is than what I do.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Icemael
    @snakeitachi: lol 

@Bones8677: All games are experiences, and it being an experiment doesn't make it immune to criticism. And frankly, I don't care what it set out to do. What I do care about is what it does do. A chef could serve me a turd and say something terrible what was he was aiming for. Guess what? It's still a turd and should be rated as such, even if he succeeded at what he set out to do.

@dbz1995: A game is something you play. Our difference lies in what we think a good game should be like.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bones8677
    @Icemael: okay, now you're just trolling.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Icemael
    @Bones8677: How so? I don't see anything wrong about my explanation.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bones8677
    @Icemael: You are deliberately being hard on the game because it does not conform to your understanding of what a game is supposed to be.
    Avatar image for nikoalexander57
    NikoAlexander57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By NikoAlexander57

I wasn't the biggest fan of flower. It was something different though. It's just not the kind of game you're supposed to play for a long time. I don't know, maybe it's not designed to be a game you play for a long time and I just don't see it. But I digress.

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By SumDeus
    @Icemael:  I'm not gonna be nasty about you posting your review in a blog, because that's just stupid. But what I wanted to say is..one star..really? I mean I'm not in love with the game, but it brings SOME entertainment.
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
    @Icemael:
    If you have to, make someone else play through SH2 and then take over when you get to the hotel.  That place makes the rest of the game worth it, and made me wonder why they didn't use all the awesome things they showed off there in the rest of the game.
    Also, what do you think of Bayonetta?  I always love to hear people's opinions on that game.
    EDIT: I should try to be more on topic, so... Flower.  I completely understand where you're coming from on this one, but I have to disagree with a line near the end of your review, about the 'Comic  version of a book' or the 'painting version of a movie' thing.  I think those could work, provided there actually was an original book or movie for it to be based on.  Game version of a poem, though, I totally have to agree that it's bullshit, at least as far as Flower is concerned.  It's less poetry and more "We made something while we were stoned out of our minds, now you guys should play it and tell everyone how artistic it is".
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Icemael
    @Bones8677: I am deliberately hard on a game because it does not conform to my opinion of what a good game should be. And so is every negative review ever written. 

@SumDeus: It looked good, which was nice, but I found every single second of actually playing it to be either boring, frustrating, or both. To me, that's a one-star game.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bones8677
    @Icemael: Okay mate, what's your definition of a good game?
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FunExplosions

Jesus, chill out people. This smug passive-aggressive crap is giving me a headache.

Nice review, by the way. I like how you pretty much have the same opinion as most rational people, except that you just graded the experience on the aspects that you think games should excel in. It would take a really out-of-touch person (or, yeah... a complete wannabe (they don't exist anymore unless they're 80) hippie) to disagree with this and say that the game was truly astonishing.

I would give it 3 stars, personally. It's fun, but even with its short run-time, I could never force myself to get back into it for the trophies. Oh, yeah, and the controls really suck.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lilbigsupermario

I haven't played Flower, I just played the demo and I found it quite good in my opinion.  The controls aren't perfect but I think it did well to utilize the motion control capability of the dualshock 3.  A lot of people like the game coz it's a different experience.  Instead of having a game that involves violence or whatever, they are presented with a game that is unique and relaxing.  But then again, it's still like an acquired taste, not all people can enjoy a nature-loving, relaxing and colorful game hehe!  When I tried the demo of the game, I just like how relaxing the game is.  Then I went back to playing Bad Company 2 and asked some of my friends also playing if they tried Flower, and a girl teammate of mine just told me, "Yeah, and it's a gay game!" lol!  Well, all games are not for everyone.  I don't think I have heard a single game in history that everyone actually loved, but that's because we have different perspectives of our own experiences. :)

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bones8677
    @FunExplosions said:
    " Jesus, chill out people. This smug passive-aggressive crap is giving me a headache.Nice review, by the way. I like how you pretty much have the same opinion as most rational people, except that you just graded the experience on the aspects that you think games should excel in. It would take a really out-of-touch person (or, yeah... a complete wannabe (they don't exist anymore unless they're 80) hippie) to disagree with this and say that the game was truly astonishing.  I would give it 3 stars, personally. It's fun, but even with its short run-time, I could never force myself to get back into it for the trophies. Oh, yeah, and the controls really suck. "

No Caption Provided
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By WickedCestus
    @FunExplosions said:
    " Jesus, chill out people. This smug passive-aggressive crap is giving me a headache.
    Welcome to the internet.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mcfart

Brad's gonna have a coronary if he sees this.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Icemael
    @Bones8677 said:
    " @Icemael: Okay mate, what's your definition of a good game? "
    Countless things determine whether I think a game is good, and I don't even know what all of them are (well, my subconscious does, but I don't have the perceptive skills to consciously discern exactly what they are). I do know that they include tight controls and a certain degree of challenge, if that helps.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bones8677
    @Icemael: 
    Tight controls? You're controlling the wind, mate. If there was one word I would not describe the wind as, I think "tight" would have to be it. 

And you know what? I'm playing Flower right now, and the controls are fine. Sure, there's times where I'm swerving around, but I'm the freakin' wind. What else would I be doing? I'm not a laser, I don't have pin point accuracy. 

And yeah, Flower isn't really challenging, but so what? Why is that such a negative?
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By animateria

I had fun playing the game. Actually playing the last level a couple times in separate occasions.

It's a simple narrative but an effective one in my opinion. I was pretty stricken when the whole thing burned down in flames all of a sudden. And enjoyed bringing the world back to life, especially in the last city level.    

I got used to the controls at some point too. It feels a bit 'windy' but once I got the flow right it's pretty easy to move it around to my liking. The fact that not all flowers need to be bloomed helps push the game forward as well (You don't need to force yourself to get them all since there aren't any rewards anyways).

Honestly it's not really a game that most people would enjoy. It lacks the satisfaction that comes from challenge, competition, or effort. All it gives you is visual stimuli. The flower pedals floating and shifting around, or the grass that sways according to your movements, the lively colors that blossom from the environment.  

The neat thing is that my interactions with the environment caused all of this. Flower's game mechanics boils down to Pacman without the threat of ghosts. While the challenge might be gone, it allows you to enjoy and appreciate the environment at your own pace. You can rush through the experience with refreshing gusto, or just slowly float around and admire the scenery. 

Anyways, this is getting too long for comfort so I'll just end by saying what the game offered was simple in gaming standards but was enough to put a big smile on my face.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Icemael
    @Bones8677: I don't care if I'm controlling the wind. The controls are pants. They're annoying and, when they cause me to mess up, waste my time. 

And if there's no challenge, there's no satisfaction -- that's why lack of challenge is a bad thing. 

@animateria said:
    " Flower's game mechanics boils down to Pacman without the threat of ghosts. "
    That's a damn good way to describe the game. Pac-Man without the ghosts, and with terrible controls.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EVO
    @Icemael said:
    " And if there's no challenge, there's no satisfaction -- that's why lack of challenge is a bad thing. "
    That's like saying there's no satisfaction in watching a film, or listening to music.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Icemael
    @EVO said:

" @Icemael said:

" And if there's no challenge, there's no satisfaction -- that's why lack of challenge is a bad thing. "

That's like saying there's no satisfaction in watching a film, or listening to music. "
    I'm specifically talking about the satisfaction of overcoming a challenge, which is different from, say, the satisfaction of having a large meal when you're hungry or finding entertainment when you're bored. Of course, films and music can give you the earlier -- if they provide challenge, or depict a character overcoming a challenge (in which case you, thanks to empathy, can feel at least a fraction of said character's satisfaction). Flower does neither.
    Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By BulletproofMonk

I liked it.

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lawrens

The controls were fine to me, I did like the later levels where you're reviving the environments and had a bit more "on rail" sections, you will miss a few petals so the challenge supposedly comes from being able to control and collect them all without flaws (and not getting shocked, etc, I think there's a trophy on that).

I thought they did pretty good at what they're trying to accomplish, but I also had no expectations at all (I played it on my friend's account, he bought it but hated it after beating like 1 level, I played through the entire thing, and replayed half of it for a bit). 

However the game did absolutely nothing for me at the same time, while I still think it's a great relaxing visual experience, it brought absolutely no emotions or excitement, it's a really "Zen" kind of state, I see people hating it like my friend, I don't care because I didn't expect anything great out of the game, and it provided me with an hour of relaxation with Zen kind of music, and that was probably the point, a getaway from all the stress and pressure, but yea, it's not the kind of game I expect myself to pay for.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By 9cupsoftea

your review is ridiculous, unless you're being satirical

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Icemael
    @Make_Me_Mad said:

" Also, what do you think of Bayonetta?  I always love to hear people's opinions on that game. "

I absolutely love it. It's easily the best action game of its kind in terms of both quality and quantity.

@Make_Me_Mad said:

" I should try to be more on topic, so... Flower.  I completely understand where you're coming from on this one, but I have to disagree with a line near the end of your review, about the 'Comic  version of a book' or the 'painting version of a movie' thing.  I think those could work, provided there actually was an original book or movie for it to be based on. "

Ah, but that was my point: the game isn't based on a a specific poem. If it was based on, say, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, saying it's a video game version of a poem would be accurate, just as saying that a comic based on Frankenstein would be a comic version of a book or that a painting based on Pulp Fiction would be a painting version of a movie would be accurate. However, when you say "it's an X version of Y" without citing a specific Y, you're just full of shit.
    9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By 9cupsoftea
    @Icemael said: 

@Make_Me_Mad said:

" I should try to be more on topic, so... Flower.  I completely understand where you're coming from on this one, but I have to disagree with a line near the end of your review, about the 'Comic  version of a book' or the 'painting version of a movie' thing.  I think those could work, provided there actually was an original book or movie for it to be based on. "

Ah, but that was my point: the game isn't based on a a specific poem. If it was based on, say, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, saying it's a video game version of a poem would be accurate, just as saying that a comic based on Frankenstein would be a comic version of a book or that a painting based on Pulp Fiction would be a painting version of a movie would be accurate. However, when you say "it's an X version of Y" without citing a specific Y, you're just full of shit. "
    It's not full of shit. When people say it's a game poem they mean it tries to capture a sense of something abstract, based on momentary qualities, without narratives and structures, like poetry does (mostly). I wouldn't say you're full of shit, but you do seem to have missed the point by quite a big margin.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Icemael
    @9cupsoftea: Flower in by no means abstract or free of narrative or structure (poetry does have structure, by the way; in fact, it is governed by structure). There is nothing poem-like about it.
    9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By 9cupsoftea
    @Icemael: Flower is abstract, the sensation it tries to capture is abstract, your review if anything clarified why it was abstract - as if you thought it's loose sense of anything was a flaw rather than its purpose. 

Personally I don't like flower, but I can see it for what it is. I don't like classical music either, but I wouldn't write a review about how it sucks because there are no electric guitars or synths in it - which is pretty much what you did with flower. Took a game ABOUT the lack of challenge and complexity, and criticised it for lacking them. Flower is exactly the game the developers wanted to make, and a lot of people connected with it in a very deep way. Would you write a review about a game genre you fundamentally dislike in the first place?
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Icemael
    @9cupsoftea: Flower isn't abstract. It's a game about a concrete petal collecting other concrete petals from concrete flowers, making new concrete flowers appear and opening up concrete paths.

And as I said: 
    @Icemael said: 

" A chef could serve me a turd and say something terrible what was he was aiming for. Guess what? It's still a turd and should be rated as such, even if he succeeded at what he set out to do. "

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gaff

"That challenge and complexity -- the cornerstones of any mechanically outstanding video game --" [...] 

"As if conventions, challenge and complexity aren't what have provided the very best video game experiences, and continue to do so!"
    "Conventions, challenge and complexity provide the very best video game experiences!" 

Oh, and simplicity. Examples such as Wii Play / Sports / Sports Resort, or such perennial favourites such as say Mario (a guy! He jumps!*), Space Invaders (shoot! Dodge! Rinse! Repeat!). 

"Conventions, challenge, complexity and simplicity provide the very best video game experiences!"  
    Oh, and design. Laying out the levels in a way that the difficulty curve is just right, ensuring that the player never gets too frustrated, or is challenged just right. Not to be confused with graph-  
     "Conventions, challenge, complexity, design and simplicity provide the very best video game experiences!"  
    Graphics. "Convent-" Or sound. "Conven-" Innovation? 

For every property of "very best video game experiences" you define, there's an example of a "very best video game experience" that doesn't actually have that property (and me not being a dick by reading it as Convention AND Challenge AND Complexity, in the Boolean sense). 

Of course, reviews are always from the perspective of the reviewer. It's what he / she thinks of a certain game, whether it is a good game, or, at its most basic and boring, whether it has a good value proposition. The only problem is that opinions that like to invoke, and base themselves on, "facts" (as quoted above) tend to come tumbling down when the "facts" are wrong, or, lets use the proper word, the "beliefs" / "opinions" are proven faulty. 

You're free to think that Flower is a terrible game. Also, for all its obvious and oft-repeated perceived faults (lack of challenge, "non-gamey-ness", length) you spend an awful long time bashing on the "terrible" controls, a complaint that I've never seen before. 

*Yes, and Mario apparently is a medical doctor, pro-athlete, and much more.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Icemael
    @Gaff: I never said that conventions, challenge or complexity alone provide the very best video game experiences. However, no game without them has ever provided a better experience than one with them (done right, of course; something challenging and complex, but poorly balanced and convoluted, will not provide a good experience) -- at least not mechanically speaking, which is what I was talking about. 

So there's no fault in my statement unless you consider it alone, out of context.
    9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By 9cupsoftea
    @Icemael: You're wrong on both a semantic and logical level. Abstract doesn't mean simply a lack of physical presence, it means a lack of physical coherency. A game in which you play as a breeze isn't abstract to you? And I wasn't referring to the game like that anyway, I meant the sensation of playing the game is abstract. You're not going for scores, or challenge, or a sense of achievement, playing flower is an end unto itself. The people who love it I'm sure could articulate it better than me, but I would guess it's the sense of atmosphere, naturalness, and fluidity of motion - all fairly abstract thigns to try and make a game about.  

Also, that turd you got served was just a black pudding you jumped to a conclusion about.
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Gaff
    @Icemael said:
    "@Gaff: I never said that conventions, challenge or complexity alone provide the very best video game experiences. However, no game without them has ever provided a better experience than one with them (done right, of course; something challenging and complex, but poorly balanced and convoluted, will not provide a good experience) -- at least not mechanically speaking, which is what I was talking about.  So there's no fault in my statement unless you consider it alone, out of context."
    I'm wondering if I should throw out ropes to save people on that slippery slope. 
    • Assuming Conventions, Challenge, or Complexity are non-binary qualities, ie a scale, in other words, X can have more complexity than Y;
    • Assuming that we are speaking mechanically and therefor can sidestep such pitfalls as genre, era, etc.
    Ergo, The Legend of Zelda is a worse experience than Halo. Mechanically speaking. 

@9cupsoftea: I can probably think of a good 1 sentence review for Flower: "The ease and fluidity of control and graphical fidelity of Flower are only marred by the constraints of having to be a game".
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Icemael
    @9cupsoftea: No, there's nothing abstract about playing as the breeze. No more than there is about playing as a wolf, or a robot, or a genetically engineered super-soldier. And in every game, playing is an end unto itself. What you're trying to say it that Flower looks, sounds and feels good enough that you're content simply moving around. 

@Gaff: I have played neither The Legend of Zelda nor Halo, but if Halo makes good use of great conventions, consistently challenges the player and is complex without being convoluted or unbalanced, and The Legend of Zelda doesn't and isn't, then Halo is the mechanically superior game -- there is no question about that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.