New Unofficial Roku Channel Released (Bombermin)

milkmichigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By milkmichigan

Been working the past week on building a new Roku app for Giant Bomb as the official one lacks a couple of features. Just released an initial version and thought I would post here in case anyone else is interested!

Right now it is pretty bare bones but includes modes for browsing shows + a basic search function. The two major things it has over the official app now are search (yay!) and pagination for shows (even though the latter is pretty janky it just about works :)). It also should save your position in a video across platforms (tested switching between videos on the main website and Roku for instance).

Fair warning: I have only tested on my device ('4k streaming stick') and also never developed a Roku channel before so it might be pretty buggy. I have submitted it to Roku for publishing but I believe anyone can install it with this link: https://my.roku.com/add/JTMHRXP.

The code for the project is hosted here https://github.com/bananaoomarang/bombermin so if you discover a bug or have a feature request etc I would appreciate if you open an 'issue' on the repo (or even better a pull request with code :P)

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Rorie officially pointed to this thread on twitter so ill be the first to say this app is awesome, and some aspects are better than the official app, (I can find some of the much older content like Random PC game, Thursday night throwdown, Whiskey media happy hour for example, and it actually lets me restart a video right after it finished, which is something the original app did not let me do)

WarOnHugs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Login and browsing work but videos play at roughly half speed for me. 3600X Roku Stick SW ver 9.3.0 Build 4166-24

Avatar image for plethomacademia
plethomacademia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just installed this to give it a whirl, seems to be working so far. Thanks for doing this!

Gatorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Videos run at half speed. Tried on Roku TV and Roku 3

milkmichigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, sorry just seeing this now. I am now aware of the video speed issue (I think this must be the same thing): https://github.com/bananaoomarang/bombermin/issues/12 sounds like a pretty wide spread issue so apologies!

Should be able to work on a fix soon, will update here when I do.

milkmichigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By milkmichigan

OK so I just pushed an update (1.5.0) that:

1. Lowers the default video quality

2. Allows user to select their preferred video quality (so people should be able to try and see if the lower options help with the Roku issues)

Should hopefully help the situation there.

Also fixed a couple of things that were bugging me:

1. Titles should now appear for 'resume watching' and 'recent' videos on the main Browse view

2. Hosts should now show up when you click on a video before choosing to play/go back

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks a bunch for this. It's working perfectly on a TCL 6 series TV.

omelettefists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having issues with the app on my Roku TV. I can't get passed the logo and it boots me to the home menu every time.

Tv model: TCL 65S4

Software: 9.3.0

milkmichigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By milkmichigan

Just released an update overhauling the UI a bit. Hopefully minimal issues but feel free to comment here or on the Github if something has broken and I will do my best to fix it. I hope to continue to work on the style/UX of the app but this seemed like a good start.

Release notes here: https://github.com/bananaoomarang/bombermin/releases/tag/v2.0.0

Should be available by the same link as in the OP.

Unfortunately have not been able to reproduce the crash above. It's weird because that looks like a pretty modern TV with the latest version of the Roku OS so in theory it should be pretty similar to me.

hiimmikecruz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

App worked yesterday on my Roku TV but today it's crashing after I click "browse".

hack1501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m also having the crash issue after clicking on browse. It’s happening on both a Roku streaming stick+ and on a Roku streambar. I noticed it last week but I hadn’t used the app for a while so I’m not sure exactly when the issue started.