That was the worst boss in any "Souls" game (some spoilers)

• 80 results
development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By development

Please no spoilers beyond this fight.

I finally killed Micolash. It took me about four hours. First two fights were quick, and he ran straight to where he was supposed to. After that... it was all downhill. He would run in circles for about ten minutes each time. I'm using the Mercy daggers, so the little chips of damage I was able to do while he was running around wasn't making things go much faster. On the second stage of the fight I once got him down to about 1/10 of his total health and then got swatted by a marionette.

Actually fighting him toe-to-toe isn't any better than the chase. For his first stage he uses one attack that's easy to dodge. It's not a challenge... which of course makes it all the more infuriating when the accompanying 2 marionettes hurt or kill you, or cause you to get hit by Micolash in the back. For his second stage he uses a spell that, to someone not used to the spell, is an almost guaranteed hit. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but with my highest arcane-defense gear that spell takes anywhere from 2/3 to all of my health, depending on if it hits me multiple times.

I finally settled with hugging him the whole fight, dodging his punches and Ebrietas, so he couldn't get off his area-of-effect spell. I won. It wasn't fun. I didn't feel good about that. You know what isn't fun? Fighting fake-human npcs with ridiculous amounts of health. You know what's worse? Having to chase them for ten minutes and fight other respawning enemies alongside them. This area of the game in general is super annoying to me. The only upside is the crow-dogs.

I'm sure you guys are going to tell me I'm playing it wrong or something. Either way, please don't spoil anything or tell me "oh just you wait." That shit sucks.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I never had too much trouble on NG, just stunlock the hell out of him. On NG+ though you're definitely right about his Call Beyond, pretty damn murderous. I guess if you're ever in a situation where you have to dodge it you need to be about 4 or 5 "dude" lengths from him and dodge right as the projectiles fire; if you're too close you're dead if you're too far you're most likely dead. Very tricky with a slower weapon like the wheel.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I don't think he's the worst boss in these games at all. I never had any problem fighting him with the two marionettes. I just killed them. When they come back I killed them again. The only problem is the spell you mentioned that is almost impossible to dodge, but luckily he doesn't do it if you stick close to him (as you did). You can largely ignore all the enemies in his area. As long as you can avoid that one AoE attack, you're golden. I don't think you played it "wrong" per se, but you might have gotten unlucky. He shouldn't take four hours to kill.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uhm... I'm pretty sure you did something wrong there. The whole fight didn't take me longer than 20 minutes and it was the first try as well. You always got to corner him into "that" room on each floor, the last floor involves dropping into the room from the ceiling.

I loved that fight, to be honest. Very refreshing.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

On my original NG-run, that dude never made it to the second arena. When we both fell down during the chase I was so close behind him that I managed to pin him down with a falling-attack, a charged one in the back after that staggered him and I could then hit a final visceral to end it all. Felt really good. :P

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Humanity

I didn't like running around after him but I at least appreciated finally fighting a boss where the camera didn't go crazy.

Also I'd probably suggest you stop using Blades of Mercy, at least in PVE.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought was one of the coolest fights in the game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By csl316

I thought it was a nice change of pace, and honestly one of the easier ones for my playstyle. But I can see why people wouldn't like it. Some of my least favorite bosses in DS2 were the ones with respawning skeletons and the like.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I didn't have trouble with this boss. Now Rom the Fuck-Spider was a pain in my ass.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Crembaw

@sethphotopoulos said:

I didn't have trouble with this boss. Now Rom the Fuck-Spider was a pain in my ass.

Holy FUCK, can we talk about this guy instead? Easily ten times worse than Micolash.

Teleports. Rolls. Adds out the FUCKING ass. Adds with ONE-HIT-KILLS. Ice meteors that seem to hit or miss with no discernible patterns. Fuck Rom, Space Knight so hard.

In fact Rom is a double offender, because I can't think of another boss in the game that is more trivialized by Co-Op than him.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Seikenfreak

Weird. I thought the Micolash fight was supposed to be more of a set piece than an actual fight. I remember just following him into one room and then being confused as to what was going on.. beat his face in, knock dolls down, beat his face in and onto next part. I think repeat the same thing again? The only actual fight was when you drop into the last part but he was just bare fisting it and was doing almost no damage to me. He was pretty evasive though so it was just, dodge then stab then dodge then stab until he was dead. Seemed like the easiest fight in the game but I just assumed the fight wasn't meant to be a real fight.

Game is weird. How some bosses are easy for some and impossible for others. Same kinda stuff has happened to me.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ungodly

Poison is effective. Once he continued with the running around nonsense, I just hit him poison knives till he was dead. He was annoying though, in a "Stop wasting my time, dude" kind of way.

Personally I thought the Smelter Demon was the more annoying of the Souls bosses, but only because of the damaging you when you're close to him thing. I hate that shit, in any game.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seikenfreak: i guess It's possible I'm underleveled, but this is the only place I need to be right now, so I hope not.

@humanity said:

I didn't like running around after him but I at least appreciated finally fighting a boss where the camera didn't go crazy.

Also I'd probably suggest you stop using Blades of Mercy, at least in PVE.

Yeah... I'm dreading farming for more chunks, but I think it's time I gave up on the Blades. Gonna try the stake driver.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Whats wrong with the Blades? I heard people say they were awesome on bosses and stuff from being so fast.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it took me two tries, and it took forever to find how to get to him in the last section. Think I died running in circles trying to find him. Didnt think he was very hard. I just attacked every chance I got, rolled away from his tentacles attack. He really didnt attack much. None of the bosses took me more then 2-3 tries. Though I missed most the side bosses. Trying to do a NG+ stuck on Martyr Logarius which I didnt do first run.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Blommer4

Maybe you're a bit underleveled? Do you use your blood-thingies that you pop for more blood? IDK, I did him on my first try and thought he was easy as fuck and, as many others, a refreshing change of pace.

I actually didn't find any of the bosses in BB to be particulary bad, most of the bosses I've seen other players complain on I did on my first try, and I'm not even close to being a "pro" at these games.

I never had to try a boss more than 5 times before I killed it though, but maybe I was overleveled? I popped ALL of the blood-thingies I found. I also used the saw cleaver all the way through the game, that weapon is prolly way better at this specific boss due to stagger.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I didn't know you could get caught in up a chase with him until I watched some videos. I guess I got lucky and picked the correct path because I only had to chase him to two rooms. In the second I plunged attacked him, then stun locked and visceral'd him. That was the end of the fight. I thought it went a little to fast. The whole thing was over in a couple minutes. But when I looked up videos people were chasing him around from room to room over and over. And then it ended in a room I didn't see where he was doing different types of attacks I didn't see.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blades of Mercy are good for PvP and Large bosses in PvE, nothing else. Try something else, even though it sounds like you were screwed over by pathing AI more than anything.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I would agree with you if Bed of Chaos didn't exist.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SuperWristBands

I just fought him. Didn't care for the fight much. My problem during the chase was that the first two times (I ran off a ledge on my second try before getting to stage 2 -_-) was that he always ran where he was supposed to go so I didn't have any idea of what the area layout was like or why he wasn't running where he was "supposed" to. After I got that figured out he only took a few tries as I had to learn how to dodge his AOE spell cause he would just spam the shit out of it, corner me, and wreck me.

I eventually found that when he starts the spell, get about 3-4 feet away from him and time a forward dodge into him as the spell shoots off. It worked every time I tried it.

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Dude, that guy ran to only two areas for me.. Just ran after him and killed him in probably like 5 tries. He has that one arcane attack that can Insta kill but other than that he was a breeze for me.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@crembaw said:

@sethphotopoulos said:

Holy FUCK, can we talk about this guy instead? Easily ten times worse than Micolash.

Teleports. Rolls. Adds out the FUCKING ass. Adds with ONE-HIT-KILLS. Ice meteors that seem to hit or miss with no discernible patterns. Fuck Rom, Space Knight so hard.

In fact Rom is a double offender, because I can't think of another boss in the game that is more trivialized by Co-Op than him.

I'll hop on the "Fuck Rom" train.

Way to make Phalanx but super fucking shitty.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@crembaw said:

@sethphotopoulos said:

I'll hop on the "Fuck Rom" train.

Way to make Phalanx but super fucking shitty.

He is even worse in his chalice dungeon form. I wanted to murder my controller.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Rom is awesome, just fantastic.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The only thing I disliked about it was having to redo all the chasing back to the two arenas whenever I died. You can pretty much ignore all the marionettes in the hallways. They're pretty slow and don't really follow you. Despite my distaste for the in between repetition I thought it was an okay fight. Sorry it took that long for you to get through, but maybe next time look at a strategy video or something after you try a few times. That usually helps me get a feel for what I'm not seeing or the best way to dodge/attack/etc.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was one of the easiest and quickest fights in the game for me, AND one of the most unique and interesting ones in the souls series.

I do not understand you.

AND YES I WILL ALSO HOP ONTO THE FUCK ROM THE SPIDER TRAIN. CHRIST.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I beat him on the first try, this guy is a wimp. A super video game-y boss I suppose but kind of entertaining.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ares42

@seikenfreak: Having played through the game with both a strength and a skill based char I have no idea what these guys are talking about. The blades are by far the best weapon in the game if you ask me. The only reason to play strength is because of the cannon, and the only reason you would ever consider using another skill weapon is because you can't use the Phantasm Shell on the blades (but most other good skill weapons can't use it either). Even with the buff my other skill weapons are barely stronger than my blades, and they can't compete with the blades moveset except for their lack of verticality. The dashing and dodging attacks of the dual-blades are just insane, and the R1-combo will stun-lock most enemies in the game and deal more damage per stamina than any other weapon in my experience.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Dragon dinosaur boss in demons, so....simple that it was a shame. Don't remember his name

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I would agree with you if Bed of Chaos didn't exist.

This. Bed of Chaos is the worst boss of any Souls game and it's not close. So dumb.

The cheapest boss I would say either Capra Demon or Ancient Dragon.

Easiest has to be Pinwheel.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay so I think I have Micolash on lock even when he eventually has 40k health or whatever on NG+7, basically just have a ton of stamina and push him into a corner, then when your stamina is getting low start shooting him repeatedly until it fills back up, then back into the melee combo and so forth. You do need a relatively fast weapon though.

Loading Video...

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mordukai

@development: Just wait until you reach the undead giant in lower pthumerian. Shit ton of HP, large hitbox, and a lot of his attacks can pretty much one shut you.

As far as boss design goes then Bloodborne is probably the weakest, and yes even more so then DrK2 in my opinion. Most bosses rely on very generous hit boxes and pack a punch with it too. I don't think I have even been one shut this much in any of the souls games combined, and that's counting Demon's Souls.

Granted, it's not that bad as must bosses are pretty manageable. They at least follow the rules set by the game unlike the hunters who are badly designed across the board.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the problem was the daggers. Awesome... but they suck in PvE. I feel like the Saw Cleaver is unfortunately the best all-around weapon. Oh yeah the daggers also do split Arcane damage... I'm an idiot.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mordukai: Yeah fuck infinite bullet insane-health npcs.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@mordukai: Undead Giant has 3 variants, one is pretty annoying, one has the one shot abilities, and one's actually pretty fun to fight. The one that can one shot you is extremely vulnerable to ranged attacks if you have them, though he gets pretty tanky at lower depths.

darkendskys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only boss in any off the games ive had a problem with is the giant rat in ds2.

That thing has the worst hitboxes of any enemie ever. It hit me in the back when I was in front of it with a shield several times. That with the broken camera just made him a pain.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: It's the one with the chained balls on his back, the large scythe on one hand and the big mace on the other. He is rather annoying.

I just get the feeling that FromSoft kinda rushed this game out the door and didn't have much time play testing this game as a lot of the design choices in the game are rather puzzling. Maybe in future updates they will iron out some design issues. Maybe.

isomentric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By isomentric

Rom was the only poor-artificially hard boss fight in that game.

The witch was bad too but because she was easy.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mordukai

@fredchuckdave: FUCK THIS BOSS. FUCK THIS DUNGEON. FUCK THIS GAME. FUCK THIS GAME COMPANY. FUCK THIS SYSTEM. FUCK THIS WORLD.

Gonna watch some Lucha Underground because I am about to fucking throw this machine out the window.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@mordukai: I found lowering him to very nearly half health and then blowing up the node of flesh (should be on his ass but I think it's random) to do the extra damage (around 30%) worked well enough; then just throw like 40 throwing knives (20 Regular, 20 poison) and 10 molotovs at him.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By matiaz_tapia

Rom was a fucker, so was that giant with ball chains on his back. But the title for worse is still the bed of chaos. That boss is basically a one chance jump and a 4 to 5 minute run back if you fail ( you can get it right away, sure. Still a shitty boss.)

Also the Dragon God ( Demon's Souls) Was disappointing, while not particularly difficult.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bribo

@darkendskys said:

Only boss in any off the games ive had a problem with is the giant rat in ds2.

That thing has the worst hitboxes of any enemie ever. It hit me in the back when I was in front of it with a shield several times. That with the broken camera just made him a pain.

That thing was total bullshit. It doesn't even look like a rat - it's a giant scabby dog.

"Don't use lock-on and attack it's ankles" is not a clever solution to a boss fight, it's an admission that your targeting system sucks balls. And it's particularly unforgivable in a game where you could lock on to a previous boss's ankles.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus this isn't something to complain about, HE isn't supposed to be a good or hard boss fight. He is there for lore and lore alone, and there's a lot that goes with him. Hes the equivalent of the final "boss" in demon souls in that respect, or even Maiden Astraea , they pose no use other than lore.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You need to kite him into the rooms where you can actually fight him. Once you know where those rooms are its very easy to come at him from an angle that will force him to run in there.

darkendskys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bribo: that strategy didn't even work half the time, He could hit you with his bit attack even if you were behind his front paws. The hitbox was just about everywhere for that attack.

I fought the 3 ruined sentinels with the cestus and that was easier than this one boss

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pause422 said:

Jesus this isn't something to complain about, HE isn't supposed to be a good or hard boss fight. He is there for lore and lore alone, and there's a lot that goes with him. Hes the equivalent of the final "boss" in demon souls in that respect, or even Maiden Astraea , they pose no use other than lore.

Dude, stop bashing on the OP, he had trouble with it because different play styles fit with each bosses, he might heve been underleveled and/or unlucky, it obviously gave him a hard time so your "contribution" adds very little to the discussion. I had no trouble with this boss either but then again I got stuck on other parts that are generally considered easy.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Humanity

@humanity: Whats wrong with the Blades? I heard people say they were awesome on bosses and stuff from being so fast.

I just assume people are insane. Even with the great Skill scaling they do way less damage than the cane and don't stunlock even some of the basic enemies so whats the point? The speed of attack is negated by your necessity to back off because enemies just shrug off your offense. Why slash someone 4 times from the front, then dash to the side and slash some more, when you can just kill them with three hits from a more powerful weapon. Use the cane or invest some blood points in the katana instead. The range alone is terrible for bosses that can often have awkward hitboxes.

They were the single most disappointing weapon in the game for me since I kept holding out hope they were going to be THE ONE killer skill scaling weapon in the game. Turns out thats either the katana or the scythe.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

@humanity said:

@seikenfreak said:

I just assume people are insane. Even with the great Skill scaling they do way less damage than the cane and don't stunlock even some of the basic enemies so whats the point? The speed of attack is negated by your necessity to back off because enemies just shrug off your offense. Why slash someone 4 times from the front, then dash to the side and slash some more, when you can just kill them with three hits from a more powerful weapon. Use the cane or invest some blood points in the katana instead. The range alone is terrible for bosses that can often have awkward hitboxes.

They were the single most disappointing weapon in the game for me since I kept holding out hope they were going to be THE ONE killer skill scaling weapon in the game. Turns out thats either the katana or the scythe.

As an almost exclusive Blade user (Ludwig's is my alt weapon), I think you're completely wrong. The Blades stunlock almost every basic enemy due to their fast attack speed and after the 4th hit you combo so fast in dual wield mode that you can kill almost any enemy in 1 stamina bar. Add to that the fact that the dodge > attack combo does a lot of damage, if you just need to get in and out, and it's by far my favorite weapon. I'll switch to Ludwig's mostly for bosses or groups of enemies, but yeah you're totally wrong imo.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

He keeps running around if you don't kill the other dudes that spawn in.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Humanity

@oni: In my first playthrough I was near the end of the game with 40+ Skill and closing in on level 90. I got those Blades up to +6 and went to Cathedral Ward where I should have been completely overleveled for the goons. At that point in the game I could kill those tall guys with the two handed axe in about 3 cane hits. The cane was +9 at the time. The Blades never stunlocked those enemies once and required me to dodge out of the way of their first swing before I could come back and finally take them down. They weren't even stunlocking the regular Blood Church goons with the sticks.

Maybe you need to get over a certain damage threshold I dunno. I saw no benefit from upgrading them any further because whats the point if the cane is outclassing them in every way. I'm sacrificing both distance and a very useful alternate mode for faster attacks. If I can kill a guy from a moderate distance in 2 hits or from close up in 5 hits, and it's going to take the same amount of time, whats the advantage?

My character was completely spec'd for Skill so I don't know why my experience is so much different from everyone elses. Maybe they really get good at +9? At that point in the game I wasn't really ready to sacrifice chunks on a weapon that I found underwhelming thus far. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not just making all this stuff up - thats how poorly they performed for me and honestly there are better weapons like the katana (whose name I always forget) or the Scythe that offer both more damage and better charge-up/alternate modes with Skill scaling.