Bombcast on Sonys Publishing of Ghostbusters

Rezblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rezblue

Was just listening to them discuss how Sonys timed exclusivity of Ghostbusters in Europe was anti consumer and I couldnt believe what I was hearing.

Just amazed me beyond belief how a company giving their own hardware an advantage over another for a period of time would be anything outside of the current norm.

They were saying how its shitty and low to pay money to keep certain consumers from playing a game. Are you kidding me? is this some kind of joke? MS does this exact same thing but on a permanent basis with almost every high profile third party game that is released. Rockband being 360 timed exclsuive in UK? If any game would not be suited for an exclusive release it would be that. If someone bought Rockband on PS3 and Rockband 2 was only out on 360 for a limited time who in their right mind wqould go out and buy all new instruments and game to play on 360?

Anyways, long rant short, What they did was no different than what MS has been doing pretty much since PS3 launched and there is NOTHING wrong with it. I am happy they did that and I hope they keep doing it.

again, sory, but your comments made absolutley no sense to me.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus
Rezblue said:
"again, sory, but your comments made absolutley no sense to me."
Again, sorry? Isn't this your very first post on Giantbomb.com? Didn't you just sign up for an account today? Shouldn't this be more of an introduction rather than a rant about the personalities we all know and love? Unless, of coarse, this is a 2nd account you just made this morning so you didn't have to post this embarrassing rant on your 'main' account...
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

They didn't say that MS don't do it, they just said it isn't right. They were using this case as an example because it's the most recent. I'm sure they feel the same about MS doing it.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By thiago
MattyFTM said:
"They didn't say that MS don't do it, they just said it isn't right. They were using this case as an example because it's the most recent. I'm sure they feel the same about MS doing it."

It didn't sound like it.
kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By kashif1

its not right for either company to do it but they both do

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jkz

Giant Bomb may have a 360 bias, but to be honest, I never really mind it. If they talk about both systems, and give games on both systems equally fair reviews, then I don't see the issue. By the fact that you said you hope Sony keeps doing it, I'd assume you prefer the PS3, but I still don't see what the issue is.

I've never understood console fanboyism, all systems have their pros and cons, and if someone really wanted the best, they would buy all three and a PC, which is the most versatile and powerful. The fanboyism I believe results from the fact that people's parents will only buy them one console, and then they feel desprate to convince themselves that they have the best of the options.

Thankfully, I have a job, so I can in fact afford a PS3, PS2, 360, and Gaming PC, and don't need to worry about any of this.
thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By thiago
jukezypoo said:
"Giant Bomb may have a 360 bias, but to be honest, I never really mind it. If they talk about both systems, and give games on both systems equally fair reviews, then I don't see the issue. By the fact that you said you hope Sony keeps doing it, I'd assume you prefer the PS3, but I still don't see what the issue is.

<removed the rest of the garbage that is your reply>"

What are you talking about? Don't try to change the subject and generalize anybody what disagrees with what has been said in the podcast as a "fanboy".

I think the OP has a point, because PS3 owners are affected by the same situation. Why don't the "paladins of justice" that defend those who are kept from playing games manifest themselves when MS does it? It sounds wrong.

If this is a fact of life and we can't change it, then he is right in wishing Sony would do the same.
FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By FCKSNAP
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By get2sammyb
Snapstacle said:
"This just in, Atari no longer in Europe. As I voiced in the Bombcast comments, this was Atari basically pulling a "Midway".

http://kotaku.com/5253577/atari-brand-leaving-continental-europe"
Exactly. This news totally changes everything. Fact is, we weren't in the boardroom but it's possible Ghostbusters wouldn't be coming out next month in Europe AT ALL if Sony hadn't made this move.

The fact that they've put it out on their platforms in Europe is not anti-consumer - it makes business sense and ensures the game comes out when it was supposed to. Particularly when it looks like Atari couldn't afford to put it out in the first place.
MacGyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MacGyver

It's way different from the Microsoft or anyone else's stuff. Sony Europe came straight out and they were like hey, were going to publish this thing early here and we're putting a time restriction on Atari for all the other console version

releases(I'm not sure about the PC.) That in it's self is odd but on top of that it's not like it's some huge blockbuster hit that there trying to horde the exclusive rights to for a period of time, IT'S FREAKING GHOST BUSTERS.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By get2sammyb
MacGyver said:
" It's way different from the Microsoft or anyone else's stuff. Sony Europe came straight out and they were like hey, were going to publish this thing early here and we're putting a time restriction on Atari for all the other console version releases(I'm not sure about the PC.) That in it's self is odd but on top of that it's not like it's some huge blockbuster hit that there trying to horde the exclusive rights to for a period of time, IT'S FREAKING GHOST BUSTERS.  "
Dude, you're obviously not European so, rightly, you might not understand that Microsoft put a block on the other versions of Rock Band 2 over here.

The difference between the situations is - as of this morning Atari Europe cease to exist. No Atari Europe - no Ghostbusters European release. What it looks like Sony did is to secure the rights to publish the game in Europe on their platforms because it sure as hell wasn't coming out on any of them next month. Now at least it's coming out on the Playstation platforms. I suspect none of us would have been getting it until later in the year had Sony not stepped up.

I truly believe humble pie is required all around. But it's par for the course in this industry these days. There are a lot of double standards being thrown around.
Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aska
get2sammyb said:
"Snapstacle said:
"This just in, Atari no longer in Europe. As I voiced in the Bombcast comments, this was Atari basically pulling a "Midway".

Exactly. This news totally changes everything. Fact is, we weren't in the boardroom but it's possible Ghostbusters wouldn't be coming out next month in Europe AT ALL if Sony hadn't made this move.The fact that they've put it out on their platforms in Europe is not anti-consumer - it makes business sense and ensures the game comes out when it was supposed to. Particularly when it looks like Atari couldn't afford to put it out in the first place."
But they're still keeping it out of non-PS3 owner's hands longer than they should be, I think that's the problem here.  It's great that it will be able to come out there, but they're still keeping it our of people's hands, even for just a bit.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By subject2change

I don't see timed releases being that bad of a thing it makes a system more desirable at that time due a release and in this case it saved a game from potentially being forgotten for a year in Europe. Sure if you have both consoles and feel you need to play it at its launch you will get it for that console but people can wait. I have bigger beef with Microsoft and their EXCLUSIVE DLC; why did I drop 90 bucks on a Fallout 3 CE on the PS3 when it is only 1/4th of the total potential of the game I honestly should of boughten the PC version if I woulda known that but I have even thought about simply just pirating it on the PC so I would be able to play through the entire game rather than a lacking part of it. I don't see why 1 system should only get a fragment of the games potential. Timed releases due to needing to port it to make it a timed exclusive or whateve rI am all for heck even releasing em later with additional content like they did with Bioshock on the PS3. Exclusives make a system often desirable, Exclsuive DLC makes games avaliable on multiple platforms just fractions of what they could be, which is a spit in the face to the owner of the neglected system.

MacGyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MacGyver
get2sammyb said:
"MacGyver said:
" It's way different from the Microsoft or anyone else's stuff. Sony Europe came straight out and they were like hey, were going to publish this thing early here and we're putting a time restriction on Atari for all the other console version releases(I'm not sure about the PC.) That in it's self is odd but on top of that it's not like it's some huge blockbuster hit that there trying to horde the exclusive rights to for a period of time, IT'S FREAKING GHOST BUSTERS.  "
Dude, you're obviously not European so, rightly, you might not understand that Microsoft put a block on the other versions of Rock Band 2 over here.The difference between the situations is - as of this morning Atari Europe cease to exist. No Atari Europe - no Ghostbusters European release. What it looks like Sony did is to secure the rights to publish the game in Europe on their platforms because it sure as hell wasn't coming out on any of them next month. Now at least it's coming out on the Playstation platforms. I suspect none of us would have been getting it until later in the year had Sony not stepped up.I truly believe humble pie is required all around. But it's par for the course in this industry these days. There are a lot of double standards being thrown around."
Yeah, like I said, Rock Band 2 is a huge blockbuster release that Microsoft secured way before it's European release date. This on the other hand this is Sony Europe picking up a loosely held publishing contract from infogrames because it saw a chance to block any other publishing effort in Europe and possibly the chance to obtain the license for the hole region. That all sounds just like smart marketing on the surface but it's still dirty as hell and needed to be called out.
EDIT: I meant to say Infogrames in my first comment not Atari.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By keyhunter

Everyone with a PS3 just wants to play MGS 4 and FF7. I doubt anyone bought the console had Ghost Busters in mind, nor gives a shit about anything that isn't Japanese, anime, or uh...Sushi. A person with a 360 is far more likely to get excited about Ghost busters:

XBOX 360's are from USA, like the Ghost busters.
A person with an XBOX 360, unlike other Europeans, probably isn't as likely to scoff at every American influenced product.
Girls only play JPRG's and casual games, not ghostbusters.
Someone with a PS3 is far more likely to sit up on his high horse and say something along the lines of "MY PS3 DOESN'T PLAY 3rd PARTY NON PS3 EXCLUSIVE TITLES! HAHAHAHA! IT IS STRICTLY RESERVED FOR TRIPLE AAA PS3 EXCLUSIVES LIKE LAIR AND THAT SWORD FIGHTING GAME WITH THE HAT PUZZLES HAHA!

So yes. SONY did pull a dirty underhanded fast one. Sales on the 360 for Ghost busters are obviously going to be higher, especially in Europe where people probably don't know what ghost busters is.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By JonathanMoore

...Yeah, Europe doesn't know Ghostbusters...

... Yeah.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By subject2change

Pretty sure a person with a 360 is far more excited about a new Gears, Halo or Guitar Hero/Rock Band game. And Sushi is Japanese.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Drebin_893
keyhunter said:
"Everyone with a PS3 just wants to play MGS 4 and FF7. I doubt anyone bought the console had Ghost Busters in mind, nor gives a shit about anything that isn't Japanese, anime, or uh...Sushi. A person with a 360 is far more likely to get excited about Ghost busters:XBOX 360's are from USA, like the Ghost busters.A person with an XBOX 360, unlike other Europeans, probably isn't as likely to scoff at every American influenced product.Girls only play JPRG's and casual games, not ghostbusters.Someone with a PS3 is far more likely to sit up on his high horse and say something along the lines of "MY PS3 DOESN'T PLAY 3rd PARTY NON PS3 EXCLUSIVE TITLES! HAHAHAHA! IT IS STRICTLY RESERVED FOR TRIPLE AAA PS3 EXCLUSIVES LIKE LAIR AND THAT SWORD FIGHTING GAME WITH THE HAT PUZZLES HAHA!So yes. SONY did pull a dirty underhanded fast one. Sales on the 360 for Ghost busters are obviously going to be higher, especially in Europe where people probably don't know what ghost busters is."

I hope you're joking.

If not, please don't reproduce.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By get2sammyb
Aska said:
"get2sammyb said:
"Snapstacle said:

Exactly. This news totally changes everything. Fact is, we weren't in the boardroom but it's possible Ghostbusters wouldn't be coming out next month in Europe AT ALL if Sony hadn't made this move.The fact that they've put it out on their platforms in Europe is not anti-consumer - it makes business sense and ensures the game comes out when it was supposed to. Particularly when it looks like Atari couldn't afford to put it out in the first place."
But they're still keeping it out of non-PS3 owner's hands longer than they should be, I think that's the problem here.  It's great that it will be able to come out there, but they're still keeping it our of people's hands, even for just a bit."
Do you expect Sony to publish it on XBOX then? Come on dude, get a grip. If Microsoft/Nintendo want to give it to their European customers then I've no doubt that they could have been in on the publishing rights for their platform too.

EDIT: And as for the person that said Europe doesn't like Ghostbusters -- dude what?! We love Ghostbusters over here.
MacGyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MacGyver
Drebin_893 said:
"keyhunter said:
"Everyone with a PS3 just wants to play MGS 4 and FF7. I doubt anyone bought the console had Ghost Busters in mind, nor gives a shit about anything that isn't Japanese, anime, or uh...Sushi. A person with a 360 is far more likely to get excited about Ghost busters:XBOX 360's are from USA, like the Ghost busters.A person with an XBOX 360, unlike other Europeans, probably isn't as likely to scoff at every American influenced product.Girls only play JPRG's and casual games, not ghostbusters.Someone with a PS3 is far more likely to sit up on his high horse and say something along the lines of "MY PS3 DOESN'T PLAY 3rd PARTY NON PS3 EXCLUSIVE TITLES! HAHAHAHA! IT IS STRICTLY RESERVED FOR TRIPLE AAA PS3 EXCLUSIVES LIKE LAIR AND THAT SWORD FIGHTING GAME WITH THE HAT PUZZLES HAHA!So yes. SONY did pull a dirty underhanded fast one. Sales on the 360 for Ghost busters are obviously going to be higher, especially in Europe where people probably don't know what ghost busters is."

I hope you're joking.

If not, please don't reproduce.
"
lolZ :)
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By dethfish

I've never seen people get so upset over something on the bombcast before. "Oh my god, Jeff has an opinion that I don't agree with!" I say get over it. They all bad mouth different things every week. This week it just happened to be sony, and people freak out.

Just because he says something doesn't make it a fact.

And what's with people calling Jeff a 360 fanboy? God, I am so sick of that word. Does anyone even know what it means? Even if Jeff favored the 360 over the PS3 that doesn't make him a "fanboy". If he said, "Sony is a dick and anti-consumer and Microsoft is completely innocent of any wrong doing", or something like that, then I'd agree with you. If anyone is a fanboy (yeah, I still hate it) it's the people who started lashing out at the bombcast and Jeff for a simple discussion on Sony.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By get2sammyb
Dethfish77 said:
"

I've never seen people get so upset over something on the bombcast before. "Oh my god, Jeff has an opinion that I don't agree with!" I say get over it. They all bad mouth different things every week. This week it just happened to be sony, and people freak out.

And what's with people calling Jeff a 360 fanboy? God, I am so sick of that word. Does anyone even know what it means? Even if Jeff favored the 360 over the PS3 that doesn't make him a "fanboy". If he said, "Sony is a dick and anti-consumer and Microsoft is completely innocent of any wrong doing", or something like that, then I'd agree with you. If anyone is a fanboy (yeah, I still hate it) it's the people who started lashing out at the bombcast and Jeff for a simple discussion on Sony.

"
You're a Jeff fanboy. ;)
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By dethfish
get2sammyb said:
"Dethfish77 said:
"

"
You're a Jeff fanboy. ;)"

Well that's the best kind
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
thiago said:
"MattyFTM said:
"They didn't say that MS don't do it, they just said it isn't right. They were using this case as an example because it's the most recent. I'm sure they feel the same about MS doing it."
It didn't sound like it."
of course it didn't sound like it because in your fanboy mind it means if something isn't mentioned then it means its supported.

Don't mention Hitlers other crimes instead you simply mention the genocide of jews then that means you support the torture and experimentation...ect? right?
Just cause something isn't mentioned doesn't mean its supported as for that It kind of makes sense, sony has said multiple times this gen they didn't have to pay money to secure exclusives yet they did it in this instance which is pretty much proof they've done it before.
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheKidNixon

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I'll post my thoughts on this thread as well: give the circumstances understood at the time, I can full understand the guys comments on Bombcast. Snatching up regional exclusivity for a title that is done or nearly done with development is really weird and looks like a desperate grab for more of a profit share. Unexpected, not exactly, but it isn't really in the best options of you the consumer. That is, again, without the additional information of Atari Europe closing its doors.

In this light, this Sony taking small advantage of a bad situation. get2sammyb suggested perhaps Phil Harrison, knowing of the upcoming demise of Atari Europe, helped out his old mates within Sony and gave them a heads up that there was a good deal that could help support a smaller developer as well as line their own pocket books for a basement bargain price. After all, neither Atari or Terminal Reality are in a real good bargaining position.

The only thing I think that you can seriously criticize Sony for in this new light is that they didn't wait to make a joint announcement for when Atari Europe announced their closing. I'm sure the SCEE executives were pulling their hair out at the criticism they received for this move, and just wanted to scream "Just wait! It will all make sense!" Maybe they thought they had timed it right to make a joint announcement. Maybe they were excited to get the news out of the gate, as to avoid anyone trying to sweep the IP out from under them.

So no, it wasn't a "dick move" (which, for the record, was Ryan's wording I believe, not Jeff's) but it was a poorly executed one.

Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Moridin

At the moment I only have a PS3 (360 coming in June), and I agreed whole-heartedly with Jeff and Ryan. That is, until I learned about the Atari / Europe situation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How could you argue that it isn't anti-consumer? It's one thing for there to be exclusive content. like what MS does and what Sony started to do with Batman and such, but to say "fuck you" to anyone who wants to play the game on something other than a Sony product does not benefit anyone. People aren't going to buy a PS3 for Ghostbusters.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Brad

The situation with Ghostbusters in Europe is an especially egregious example, where you have a game that's been marketed as multiplatform from the very beginning suddenly turned into a timed platform exclusive a matter of weeks before it comes out. I'm sure there are a few 360 owners in Europe who were looking forward to playing the game next month who abruptly lost that chance due to sheer business factors. It's a blatantly crappy move for those people, this close to launch.