Dan's growing on me.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Dan is great. He's goofy and actually yes does have quite a few similarities to Jeff in my mind. He's doing a great job so far.

Also just on a personal note, I have at least one of the same issues (driving) that he does, so nice to identify with that.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

I like him, seems like a fun guy. Sometimes he can sound seriously close minded in rather a trolly kind of way though.

For example, he talks a lot of shit about Anime and Football(soccer) for someone who doesn't care about it, and it's weirdly frustrating to hear him ragging on stuff other people like, especially as he likes wrestling... I just imagine he would understand how that can feel and be less of a jerk about it though. I'm sure he'll mellow in time though.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

He cares about World Football a lot more than he'd care to admit.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Dan and Jeff should both be banned from talking about food. I know that's drastic, but they are hurting America.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By jaycrockett

Yeah I'm not quite there yet. The food stuff seemed bizarre and there were a couple of 'I don't know what that word means' that were kind of jarring. I'm sure I'll settle in soon.

Hurvilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's great to have a guy that doesn't pretend to know everything, and isn't afraid to ask if he doesn't. As an European some GB content flies over my head (first and foremost food talk) and hopefully, with Dan in the group, the other guys will explain more what they talk about, whatever it may be. It feels like all the other guys more or less have the same background, so it's great to get another perspective on stuff.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan and Jason are killing it. Great additions overall. Even if he has never tried a hamburger with ketchup. What the fuck?

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Dan on Game Informer and he is slowly fitting in. Quick Looks are all well and good but it's UPF that really shows off someone's GB credentials, his boundless enthusiasm for all things Command and Conquer was infectious. Currently have my laptop away getting repaired. When it's back I am definitely firing up some Red Alert.

As for the ketchup. I've suddenly started to dislike it....it could be down to different recipes or something. I moved from England to Canada and since the move all I can taste is the sugar and its rank I don't sugar on my fries or burgers! So it's BBQ sauce, mustard and mayo for me these days!

Estwilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Estwilde

This ketchup talk has to go. It's a sugary treat for children. M&M's are the way to go (Mustard & Meat). 'Dirty Harry' Callahan agrees:

Loading Video...

Other than that, Dan's been great. Looking forward to what he brings to more UPF's and is shown the staples of GB like Windjammers, even if the Lang Monster has forever ruined that for me.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No, not really, not yet at least. Seems like a very nice dude, but his gaming and cultural palette is way too narrow for me. Let alone his food palette, but we already laugh at Jeff for that stuff, non-issue. To be fair he's still settling in. He's obviously a pro and I'm sure he's super competent in the editorial role he was hired to fill. Maybe this stuff seems more acute because of Vinny leaving. You know, basically being replaced, versus if he was still here, and in our ears on the b-cast, it'd prolly be more like oh wow that's Dan's idiosyncrasies, lol.

You know, he's a mid-westerner, and I wonder what living in the bay area, and SF proper is like for him. Maybe his tastes will expand considering the more diverse culture here and the current community he's around now.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Great addition to the crew.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan is great. He's goofy and actually yes does have quite a few similarities to Jeff in my mind. He's doing a great job so far.

Also just on a personal note, I have at least one of the same issues (driving) that he does, so nice to identify with that.

He's kinda like Jeff if Jeff liked things.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@soap said:

For example, he talks a lot of shit about Anime and Football(soccer) for someone who doesn't care about it, and it's weirdly frustrating to hear him ragging on stuff other people like, especially as he likes wrestling... I just imagine he would understand how that can feel and be less of a jerk about it though. I'm sure he'll mellow in time though.

So he does exactly what Jeff always does?

@pweidman said:

You know, he's a mid-westerner, and I wonder what living in the bay area, and SF proper is like for him. Maybe his tastes will expand considering the more diverse culture here and the current community he's around now.

Dude, I lived int the Midwest. We had burritos. There were people that weren't white. We got to hear the same music as everyone. It's not that different. Sounds like Dan just had quirks while growing up and this was one of those.

He said he never ate pickles and like mustard and ketchup. We are talking really basic shit here.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He loves smash brothers AND Waluigi? INCREDIBLE!

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By RazielCuts

Maybe you should get that looked at.

@alexandersheen damn, you beat me to it!

stormedcloud11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I have to say is where is the persona based art with jason and dan in it

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I think he is pretty awesome (probably helps that he is actually enthusiastic about things), but that entire food segment made me cringe because it reminded me of my tastes in food as a kid.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm in!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ripelivejam
@mattyftm said:

I don't like the way he says ketchup. The E sounds more like an A, which makes it sound like he's saying "catch up".

No Caption Provided

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@jaycrockett: I'm choosing to pretend that Dan is like the small town boy that just moved to the big city (even though he didn't grow up in the country). "Agrarian" isn't like, that hard of a word to know, but Brad does sometimes go out of his way to use fancier vocabulary. He could've used "agricultural" in that sentence instead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I want to throw him and Jeff into a pool of mustard.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#74  Edited By Zleunamme

You should see a doctor about that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

"Did it all start because of that Freezy Frog guy" - thanks Dan I wanted a change of username.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Did it all start because of that Freezy Frog guy" - thanks Dan I wanted a change of username.

Haha, I thought about doing the same thinig. Congrats.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By GaspoweR
Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've really enjoyed him the last few years at GI so I was really excited that he was joining GB and he hasn't disappointed.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Andorski

There hasn't been a single Power Bombcast since he was hired.

Fuckin' waste.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#81  Edited By csl316

That's not good. Did you accidentally get too close at the Skyrim launch party?

Loading Video...

BeyondStrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By BeyondStrange

@bisonhero: I think he actually played up that moment for comic effect, actually. That is one thing I really like about Dan so far. He has good comic instincts. I don't think he is naturally comedic (or as lovable) as Vinny, Ryan was, or even Drew, but Dan seems to really know how to mine a situation for maximum comedic effect.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad we have broken the trend of "hating on the new guy"! I feel like he's still holding back from the podcast and videos and still finding his groove but it's good to know that things can only get better from here.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By hippie_genocide

Dan proves at least once on every Bombcast/QL that he's the lovable village idiot we all deserve. His dislike of mustard only drives the point home further .

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@siroptimusprime: Dan's YouTube channel ( http://youtube.com/user/ExileOnMassSt ) is gold. I never seen a man chug a bottle wine (in a giant stein) within six seconds before. He's a hero. I'd post more but I don't want to be flagged for YouTube spam.

Since I'm posting from my phone I'll edit the post from my PC later so that the YouTube link is a link.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

... is he benign?

get it? get it!?!?!?

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's going to take a while for me. He seems to not have the knowledge of the other guys. I feel he should know a lot more of what the other guys are talking about.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Strife777

@none_braver said:

It's going to take a while for me. He seems to not have the knowledge of the other guys. I feel he should know a lot more of what the other guys are talking about.

Thing is, most of the things they talk about that he doesn't know are pretty specific Giant Bomb things, like Windjammers and such.

I personally loved him before he even joined, as little as I actually saw/heard him. I think he's a really fun guy who always seems to enjoy himself. He's quite optimistic and expressive.

If anything, the crew feels rejuvenated ever since Vinny's move and the new hires. They've been pumping out content non-stop (enough to put some out on weekends) and everybody just seems more energetic. I'm really glad.

jimbozu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan is quickly becoming one of my favorite members of the team.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, you can change usernames now? How?

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unlike Patrick, who took many months for me to like, Dan has won me over almost instantly. Dan reminds me a lot of Vinny and he just seems to genuinely enjoy a lot of games, he's a good counterpoint to the general cynicism of Jeff (which is fine, it just needs balance).

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know yet...he seems ok, but there were some moments where I was just not entertained. Maybe it is just a matter of time, like with Patrick. Scoops had really grown on me.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abendlaender: Billing>change email/password.

It's been totally broken for me for two months now though, so yeah.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought he was fine than all these food issues started coming up, and I"m not sure you can trust a guy who has never had mayo.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan's a cool guy and I think he's a great addition to the GB crew, but he's only the second most entertaining Ryckert.

Loading Video...

DoubleSpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By DoubleSpy

i couldn't be more excited for the future of Giant Bomb with the addition of Dan and Jason. I've liked Dan since I started listening to the Powerbombcast, and have embraced every great thing about him. All of the content he made while at Game Informer really shows he fits into the mold of Giant Bomb. For the past year, I've been mourning over the loss of Ryan, trying to gain some foothold on the direction of the site. I think Dan and Jason are that new step.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When i was a nipper, my mother made dinner and if we "didnt like it", that was it. No more food for the rest of the day. And she would stick by that 100 percent. If we didnt eat, we did not get fed until the next day. Picky eating went out the window by the time I was seven years old (I alto appreciated how good a cook she was at an early age because of this. To this day I cannot replicate her meat sauce). Best thing my mother ever did. Kids are coddled too much with their eating habits.

valencian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy Dan's enthusiasm, but his deep ignorance of very basic cultural things is really off-putting. It's actually scary to me to be confronted with a 30 year old American who proudly states that he's never tried (or perhaps had the resources to try?) a huge number of things that I take as fundamental aspects of being a first-world citizen, much less a cultured coast-dweller.

I guess I've just really been spoiled by living in a big east coast city all my life, and maybe middle America is really just that different from us.

valencian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To clarify my post, yeah I like him and his personality meshes really well with Jeff's. Given enough training, hopefully he can grow into the role and not seem like such a backwoods weirdo