Is the Bombcast THE top rating games show?

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Whiskey Media's page on Giant Bomb says that the podcast has a listenership in excess of 100'000 individuals each week. Yo, that's a lot. I recall Garnett Lee once saying that 1UP Yours broke through the six figure barrier in either 2006 or 2007, but I don't think that level of people downloading on a weekly basis lasted that long, even for them. What we can draw from this, then, is that nothing will ever match the Bombcast in terms of ratings. Get me a Nielsen Rating for that shit.

Jesus H. Christ, how many emails do those guys get every week?

skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By skywing

I have always wondered how many people listen to the bombcast, I would be interested to know.  Also I do pity Ryan for his huge task of sorting emails.   
Makes me feel special to have had one of my emails read on the bombcast too :P

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@skywing said:
" Makes me feel special to have had one of my emails read on the bombcast too :P "
Yeah, same here. Even though they did unanimously rule against me...
Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Supermarius

You know it might be, considering that, if i recall correctly,the 1up podcast people all got laid off when ugo bought them. I think they kept doing a podcast but under a different name. Penny arcade maybe would have been, if only they would do some more episodes.

skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By skywing
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @skywing said:
" Makes me feel special to have had one of my emails read on the bombcast too :P "
Yeah, same here. Even though they did unanimously rule against me... "
lol what was your email about? 
Mine was about being left handed and playing the wii,  as a lefties I find it hard to use the controller for some reason and I wanted to as Jeff ( a lefty) what he thought.
it was something like a year and a half ago
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@skywing said:
lol what was your email about? Mine was about being left handed and playing the wii,  as a lefties I find it hard to use the controller for some reason and I wanted to as Jeff ( a lefty) what he thought.it was something like a year and a half ago "

Mine was about whether Heat was a better action movie than Die Hard. I had, like, a $20 bet going with some buddies that Heat was the better action film. But the Jefferson, Ryan, Bradley and Vincenzo ruled that Heat isn't even an action movie - it's more of a thriller, I believe they said. So I lost by default.

Grrr!
Tirrandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tirrandir
@ZanzibarBreeze: Don't worry, even if they shot you down by genre disqualification, Heat is by far the better movie in general.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Tirrandir: Thank you, my friend.
neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By neoepoch

I wonder how many e-mails they do get per week.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By GaspoweR
@Supermarius: The podcast was called 1Up Yours, then Shane and Skip Pfister left so it turned to Listen Up! Later, Garnett Lee left and went to Shack News while John Davison sold What They Play to IGN and became head honcho of Gamepro and it turned into 4 Guys 1 Up. Finally, David Ellis left and they just kept the name.
skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By skywing
@Tirrandir said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze: Don't worry, even if they shot you down by genre disqualification, Heat is by far the better movie in general. "
Oh I don't know about that,  Heat is a movie that I have watched twice and probably will not again but Die Hard I know I will watch again.  
I cannot speak for the other Die Hard movies, they seem a little dull and possibly better than Heat.
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By beargirl1
@skywing said:
" I have always wondered how many people listen to the bombcast, 
100,000 + listeners apparently. i read that somewhere.. it was a whiskey media statistic thing 
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Undeadpool

Heat is a better movie, but they were right: it's not an action movie in the same way the Predator, Die Hard or Rambo is. It's way more cerebral and there are long stretches with very little action. I think "thriller" summed it up nicely.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By apathylad
@AjayRaz said:
" @skywing said:
100,000 + listeners apparently. i read that somewhere.. it was a whiskey media statistic thing  "
How does that compare to Comicvine, animevice, and tested?
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tirrandir said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze: Don't worry, even if they shot you down by genre disqualification, Heat is by far the better movie in general. "
Heat's the better film, sure. 

But Die Hard's probably the more important one in the canon of action films.
Shifty_Mcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Shifty_Mcfly

Damn, considering that the comments were in the dozens to few hundred I never thought it be that high. Few thousand tops, but over a hundred? Wow, good for the guys. I'm also glad that the equivalent of a small city heard me talk about my monocle.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By matthew
@Apathylad said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" @skywing said:
100,000 + listeners apparently. i read that somewhere.. it was a whiskey media statistic thing  "
How does that compare to Comicvine, animevice, and tested? "
Well, to be polite, they're far from competing. I don't have any actual numbers as to how many listen, but if you use some other numbers. . .  

• Tested.com's podcast is only 4 episodes old.  I'm guessing the userbase can't be over 2000 people, even if you double that, you're looking at 4000 weekly listeners.
  • Comicvine.com's podcast reaches back to 7.17.09.  With not quite 60k users, if you double that, you might be reaching 100k listeners, but I think we would've heard something 'bragging' or at least a mentioning of the number, at least on the whiskeymedia.com site.
  • Animevice.com's squadcast reaches to 4.24.09.  They have just over 8k registered users, so double that, you're looking at less than 20k listeners per week.

There's no formula I pulled out to figure out how many people listen to each sites' 'cast.  I'm just finding the number of users, doubling that to play it waaaaay too safe, (due to itunes, people who follow the staff just for the 'cast and such) and pulling a number out.
itsmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By itsmadness

GIant Bombcast is #6 most subscribed of all video game podcasts on iTunes, and #8 when you count all of the podcasts in the 'games and hobbies' section. I don't think that number has really changed that much. So yeah, it's doing pretty good (especially since, as far as I can tell, the only podcast that is of the same kind of format that the bombcast has is Garnett Lee's new show).

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

It's worth noting that not everyone uses iTunes, though. I'd probably guess that the majority of people don't use iTunes for podcasting, but I'm just pulling that out of my ass, so I might be wrong. Personally, I just find it easier to right-click-save-as, bearing in mind that I don't own any Apple products.

Still, over 100'000 people... dude, that's a lot.

chavafx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By chavafx

but no ads at all  .  i hope they do well  in this site cuz i like it alot
spiffyXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By spiffyXD

Here's the aforementioned Whiskey Media Giant Bomb stats link:  http://www.whiskeymedia.com/brands_gb.shtml 

The 100,000 listeners statistic is last on the list in the About box on the lower left.

Edit: The link also contains an epic history recap video of the site with some never-before-seen footage (as far as I know), along with a neat graph showing the (ridiculously huge) visitor growth over time.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By willin

I remember seeing this awhile ago and still put a smile on face seeing that they couldn't put a runner-up in the Bombcast's shadow.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Jimbo

If Bombcast had a Metacritic rating it would be 100%.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jadeskye

Theres a lot of listeners that are not registered. it's a lot.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Clinkz
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @skywing said:
lol what was your email about? Mine was about being left handed and playing the wii,  as a lefties I find it hard to use the controller for some reason and I wanted to as Jeff ( a lefty) what he thought.it was something like a year and a half ago "
Mine was about whether Heat was a better action movie than Die Hard. I had, like, a $20 bet going with some buddies that Heat was the better action film. But the Jefferson, Ryan, Bradley and Vincenzo ruled that Heat isn't even an action movie - it's more of a thriller, I believe they said. So I lost by default.  Grrr! "
I remember that question and I rule with them.

Its fucking Die Hard.
AngelKore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AngelKore

I thought that Farmville was the highest listened to?
Or am I just being a pompus ass?

kingjulesxii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By kingjulesxii
@ZanzibarBreeze:  Well Heat is more of a complicated crime drama, as opposed to Die Hard being more of a thrills-a-minute action flick. 

Heat is the superior film though; one of my favorites ever.
gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gosukiller

I still remember my email being read in a pretty early bombcast.
I asked wherther they thought it plausible that Street Fighter 4 would come to the Wii.
They answered no, saying that Capcom wouldn't compromise on graphics just to have it on another platform.
Then Street Fighter iPhone happened.