I've cooled down, taken stock, and now here's my opinion.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By dtat

Ok, so I've been freaking out about what is happening to the bombcast. It is by far my favorite podcast on the internet, and the thought of it changing is horrifying. I really like the entire GB crew and I've always respected what they do and how they do it. this whole situation struck me as cold and calculated. I've calmed down a bit and listened to the new membership podcast, and here's what I've come to realize: these are the same people. 

They've never done us wrong before, and I have no reason to believe they have anything but good intentions. I may not agree with the way they're splitting up the bombcast, but you have to remember that they invented it. I think they understand what makes it so special, and I owe it to them to give them the benefit of the doubt. I will reserve judgement on the new format for the bombcast until I hear a few of them. 

I feel like they want to keep giving us all the amazing content we've grown accustomed to, and they are still the best website online. If the changes end up screwing up what I love about the bombcast, I'll come back out swinging! but I'll save that for after things go up in flames ;) sorry to the crew and community for freaking out, and I hope everything turns out well. Peace
ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By ReyGitano
@Dtat: Good for you. Reading a lot of these comments I feel like a lot of people haven't listened to that podcast... despite arguing about podcasts... ironic?
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By DrPockets000

It's refreshing to not see a rant.  Remember that the crew said that they would place all of the relevant information at the beginning; stuff that's important for the week WILL be there, on day 1, for everyone.  The sillier, stupid stuff that is irrelevant to the week's news will be the following week.  So every week you still get an hour of news and an hour of unadulterated fun.  

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mcfart

The issue is that the first hour will have Wiiware/DSIware releases, and will probably feel rushed since they'll sometimes have a lot of news to cover in that first hour. The podcast will be broken up in a weird way, and it's just...weird.

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rflx

Good post. And pretty much exactly how I feel about the situation too.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dtat
@Mcfart:
I agree that it's weird and I'm still somewhat worried, but I'll wait and see. I think they'll strike a balance. It may take a couple podcasts, but hey, the arrow pointing down cast wasn't as good as the bombcast is now.
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

jessej07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By jessej07

2 hours for 4 people to basically not add new content to the site that they are working for... that's 8 hours of making $0.  It really must have been a drain financially but a labor of love for a long time, I'm not surprised that they had to find a way to monetize it.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dtat
@Vito_Raliffe:
"TAKE THAT!!"
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dtat: Fun fact: The lady in my avatar played Phoenix Wright in two musicals!
Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mcfart

Phoenix Wright is awesome.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dtat
@Vito_Raliffe:
O.o
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By fjordson
@Dtat said:
" I will reserve judgement on the new format for the bombcast until I hear a few of them.
I sure as hell don't like the idea, but this is pretty much how I feel at the moment. I'll wait and see before passing any final judgment.

I hope this thing goes live soon, though. I want to try out the unified login and get my Comic Vine on.
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dtat: 
No Caption Provided
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dtat

...goddamn...Japan is so awesome sometimes...
eag67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By eag67
@Dtat said:
"Ok, so I've been freaking out about what is happening to the bombcast. It is by far my favorite podcast on the internet, and the thought of it changing is horrifying. I really like the entire GB crew and I've always respected what they do and how they do it. this whole situation struck me as cold and calculated. I've calmed down a bit and listened to the new membership podcast, and here's what I've come to realize: these are the same people.  They've never done us wrong before, and I have no reason to believe they have anything but good intentions. I may not agree with the way they're splitting up the bombcast, but you have to remember that they invented it. I think they understand what makes it so special, and I owe it to them to give them the benefit of the doubt. I will reserve judgement on the new format for the bombcast until I hear a few of them.  I feel like they want to keep giving us all the amazing content we've grown accustomed to, and they are still the best website online. If the changes end up screwing up what I love about the bombcast, I'll come back out swinging! but I'll save that for after things go up in flames ;) sorry to the crew and community for freaking out, and I hope everything turns out well. Peace "

@Dtat: I think it will be a mute point cause I think they will end up keeping the bombcast the way it is. Too much uproar over it plus they have already kinda backed down anyway by saying if we get so many sub's we will keep it as it is. Plus when you think of it there will be more work involved for Ryan and Dave by splitting it up anyway.
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dtat: Fuck yes it is!
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Claude

Maybe if we don't pay, the other Whiskey Media sites will fail. Giant Bomb is the bomb, the others, not so sure. They're all together now, feelings could be hurt.

Sorrowsan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sorrowsan

wow, very refreshing post. good on ya
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dtat
@eag67:
I sort of get that feeling too. Or at least the split may not inmpact the content as much as  we think.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Dtat: I like this attitude. More people need to think this way.
jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jasondaplock
Mcfart said:
" The issue is that the first hour will have Wiiware/DSIware releases, and will probably feel rushed since they'll sometimes have a lot of news to cover in that first hour. The podcast will be broken up in a weird way, and it's just...weird. "
I have a feeling that the complexity of breaking up and distributing the Bombcast this way will kill this idea naturally in a week or two. Ryan mentions breaking up the bombcast as a time-conserving move, but the overhead of arranging the recording and editing twice (possibly editing it more than twice) is going to outweigh any potential positives almost immediately.

And regardless, every person who has been visiting this site for more than a month--most more than a year--knows in their heart that they probably owe Whiskey Media at least $5 anyways.
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dtat
@jasondaplock said:
And regardless, every person who has been visiting this site for more than a month--most more than a year--knows in their heart that they probably owe Whiskey Media at least $5 anyways. "

Haha that's a good point!
theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By theveej

If I were them I would have started charging a long time a go......

it is incredibly tough what they are doing at this website, and its nothing short of amazing. Being independent in an industry like this is rarity. These guys are doing things the right way, and for the right reason. I have been following these guys for 7+ years and I agree with everything they have done. 50 bucks a year is 5 hours of work a year on minimum wage here in canada. I know alot of people poor and rich who spend way more than 50 bucks on stupid ass shit in a year. But I understand some people here won't be able to pay... but if you really can please try. 

I know the thing about the bombcast sucks................ but I dont give a fuck cause Im gonna be a paying member!

BrokenCage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By BrokenCage
@jessej07 said:

"2 hours for 4 people to basically not add new content to the site that they are working for... that's 8 hours of making $0.  It really must have been a drain financially but a labor of love for a long time, I'm not surprised that they had to find a way to monetize it. "

That depends. I came to Giant Bomb for one reason, I found the Bombcast. So the podcast brought in users, which upped pageviews. It might still do that, but Kevin Smith once tried this same tactic with his Smodcast, and it didn't work. People won't go out of their way for a podcast, especially one that is mostly filled with the same content as at least three other top level podcasts (Joystiq, Weekend Confirmed, CAGCast.) So the more of a chore the Bombcast becomes to listen to, the fewer the people that will listen.  

It's really the same issue as Sony, they can't take away online from non-paying users, and the Bombsquad shouldn't be taking away the Bombcast. It's just a bad idea. How about the option of downloading their videos instead? I'm sure a lot of people would like to watch Quicklooks/TANG on a commute.
Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lunar_Aura
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" @Dtat: Fun fact: The lady in my avatar played Phoenix Wright in two musicals! "

The lady in your avatar is sofa king hot. What's her name again?
Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Seroth

I can tell you one thing: if this was my first time to discover Giant Bomb, and found out I had to pay for the podcast, I wouldn't give the site a second glance. Now, I'm willing to support Giant Bomb now that I've become a fan, but new users may not be so happy to fork up the money.  

It's going to be much harder to recommend the Bombcast to other people now.

Now, if they mess up the podcast, and end every first half with, "Subscribe today!" or something like that, I'll be even more unhappy.

max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By max3000

Honestly I've tried to see this the way Dtat sees this but I just can't. It's kind of terrible and listening to the second half of the podcast a week later is kind of pointless since I wouldn't even remember what was going on a week before.

All of the new membership stuff seems great and I might pony up for the 50$ yearly stuff but the bombcast thing is just.. sad.

Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Kajaah117

Says the guy with a gold medal around his avatar. The price for Live just went up! I now have to choose between socializing with friends I'll never get to talk to otherwise, or to listen to the best podcast on the net without having to wait an entire week. A long, painful week of not understanding the community's new podcast-related inside-jokes.

whitesox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#30  Edited By whitesox
@jasondaplock said:
" Mcfart said:
" The issue is that the first hour will have Wiiware/DSIware releases, and will probably feel rushed since they'll sometimes have a lot of news to cover in that first hour. The podcast will be broken up in a weird way, and it's just...weird. "
I have a feeling that the complexity of breaking up and distributing the Bombcast this way will kill this idea naturally in a week or two. Ryan mentions breaking up the bombcast as a time-conserving move, but the overhead of arranging the recording and editing twice (possibly editing it more than twice) is going to outweigh any potential positives almost immediately. And regardless, every person who has been visiting this site for more than a month--most more than a year--knows in their heart that they probably owe Whiskey Media at least $5 anyways. "
No, I get the feeling that they were just sugarcoating it, trying to minimize community backlash.  Do you really think they are naive enough to actually think we don't care that much about the bombcast?

I owe Whiskey Media nothing, it's a website.  If you want to go and create new stuff for only members, that's fine.  That's what they said.  They talk at length about how they want to add new content, make the site better, not take stuff away, and make it worse.  What exactly was the reasoning behind this?

And then they go and hold that second half hostage, just to wring some more cash out of it.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By crusader8463
@jessej07 said:
" 2 hours for 4 people to basically not add new content to the site that they are working for... that's 8 hours of making $0.  It really must have been a drain financially but a labor of love for a long time, I'm not surprised that they had to find a way to monetize it. "
There are other factors though. Maybe they can't look at a direct dollar to hour worth of it, but by no means is it $0. You have to take into account all the people who come to the site just for the bombcast, or who have become members because of it. Now each one of those people will generate ad revenue for them, and possibly subscribe as thanks down the road because of the work they do on the bombcast. All income that they would never get by doing it the way it is going to be done.
jessej07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jessej07
@crusader8463: @BrokenCage:  

I agree, I was being dismissive when I say the podcast brings in $0.  However, it isn't measurable, and if it were it would probably be a sinkhole compared to the man-hours used per week compared to the new users the Bombcast generates. 

I'm speaking as someone who joined because of the Bombcast, for the record. 

Still, the Bombcast is lovely and I really do feel bad for those that cannot afford to partake in the full two hours day of release, but the fact is that it is entirely the crew's decision.  Neither you nor I are entitled to the Bombcasts, so I suppose the real argument is whether or not the move is "dickish" or some sort.  I say no because of my feelings on and understanding of business, I wouldn't hold it against anyone for taking the opposite viewpoint. 

I honestly feel bad for those burned by this and wish it could be another way, but I think GB had to justify the amount of time they spend on the Bombcast in a monetary way.  Maybe down the road when Whiskey Media has grown they will revert back to the standard model.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@Vito_Raliffe said:
"

"
Quoted for being great.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By trophyhunter

Maybe if you didn't hate springs so much that wouldn't happen.

TheLastNeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheLastNeo
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" @Dtat: 
No Caption Provided
"
@Dtat said:
" ...goddamn...Japan is so awesome sometimes... "
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" @Dtat: Fuck yes it is! "

^^^^^  I lol'd at this...  non sequitur 

Also.. @Dtat:  Great post, I totally agree.
ninjatuned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By ninjatuned
@whitesox said:
" @jasondaplock said:
" Mcfart said:
I have a feeling that the complexity of breaking up and distributing the Bombcast this way will kill this idea naturally in a week or two. Ryan mentions breaking up the bombcast as a time-conserving move, but the overhead of arranging the recording and editing twice (possibly editing it more than twice) is going to outweigh any potential positives almost immediately. And regardless, every person who has been visiting this site for more than a month--most more than a year--knows in their heart that they probably owe Whiskey Media at least $5 anyways. "
No, I get the feeling that they were just sugarcoating it, trying to minimize community backlash.  Do you really think they are naive enough to actually think we don't care that much about the bombcast?  I owe Whiskey Media nothing, it's a website.  If you want to go and create new stuff for only members, that's fine.  That's what they said.  They talk at length about how they want to add new content, make the site better, not take stuff away, and make it worse.  What exactly was the reasoning behind this?  And then they go and hold that second half hostage, just to wring some more cash out of it. "
I agree with at least part of what you're saying - they are holding the second half hostage unless their monetary demands are met.  It 's sad to see my favorite gaming website adopt the same almost universally despised money grabbing tactics used by the game publishers.  The stick instead of the carrot if you will of holding back content that was already included for free.  It's dirty pool and I don't approve.  I considered not subscribing at all but in the interest of getting to 5,000 subscribers and keeping the bombcast uncut for everyone  I decided to help out the community rather than stick to my own pigheaded reasoning.  The guys deserve the money for sure - I doubt anyone here would dispute that but the tactics they are using to get it are not only underhanded but exactly what they said they would not do.
davidgholland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#37  Edited By davidgholland

Yeh the bombcast guys are good fellows and seem to really want to do whats best for us. (I guess that is best for them in the end). So lets just see what the progenitors of this whole thing do.