Patrick: Please stop saying "interesting"

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I get that everyone has verbal ticks, odd ways of speaking and verbal cliche's that we cling to or use without even realizing it. I know that if I were on a microphone for an extended period of time, I would probably do and say a number of things that people would have a problem with.

I do wish, though, that patrick would stop leaning on the word "interesting". He uses it probably ten times as much as anyone else at giant bomb, which is probably twenty times more than anyone I've ever met in real life. The problem I have with the word, personally, is that it comes off as a crutch word.

"This game has 'interesting mechanics'"

"This game 'did a lot of interesting things'"

"This game 'looks really interesting'"

WHY? Why any of that? It's a word that doesn't communicate any actual information and is just a substitute for saying "I approve of". Which, honestly, is not why I visit Giant Bomb or any other gaming site. If I wanted to know if a game is good or not, I'd read a review, and in that review I'd want someone like Alex who is good at explaining WHY a game earned his opinion of it.

Potential alternatives could be things like "this game has x mechanic that looks like it could be fun". "X game has y story element that seems unique and makes me want to know what might happen next" "X game features y scene that looks exciting!"

"Interesting" is a hipster term that puts every game at the mercy of trying to impress one's lofty and not easily impressed tastes. Saying something is "interesting" is as though one is gracing it with their notice for mere moments and if it doesn't make the most of them, one is going to unleash the full weight of their hipster criticism on it. But as a reader and a listener, I want to hear ABOUT the game. If some part of the game makes you respond to it, WHAT part of the game, and HOW did it make you feel?

There is no shame in saying something is fun, exciting, interesting, exhilarating, charming, scary, mysterious, or any other adjective that actually commits a personal feeling behind an opinion.

here's a link to a "bad writing blog" talking about how bad the word interesting is.

Here's another writing blog addressing the overuse of the word interesting.

"The most recent victim of overuse and misuse (take your pick) is the word interesting. It’s overused because its become a go-to filler word when we become too lazy to use something more precise. It’s misused because we often hide behind it instead of saying what we truly think and feel. During a short story writing class I took in college, our instructor would rail on us if our only feedback to another student was that something about their writing was interesting. His point was that this statement was essentially useless because it didn’t provided the author with something tangible they could use to respond to and improve their work."

I could also link about 10 pages that list the word "interesting" in the top 5 most overused words in the english language, but that's just overkill.

I write this because, more than any other editor at Giant Bomb, Patrick talks frequently about wanting to get into the nitty gritty of games and why they succeed or fail. He even expresses an interest to play bad games through to their completion just to analyze why they were unsuccessful. Ultimately, though, if the post-mortem of those games is discussed with words like "interesting" or "uninteresting", it becomes impossible to communicate any real knowledge gained from the experience.

Pepeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hmm, interesting

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
No Caption Provided

Patrick should adopt the Fieri lifestyle.

"Mm, that's bangin!'.. Its.. crunchy, tasty.."

NachoBizNas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By NachoBizNas

You make some interesting points that really bring a breath of fresh air to comments related to Patrick.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jazgalaxy said:

The problem I have with the word, personally, is that it comes off as a crutch word.

There is no shame in saying something is fun, exciting, interesting, exhilarating, charming, scary, mysterious, or any other adjective that actually commits a personal feeling behind an opinion.

Uhh...

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Know what's way worse, that everyone on the planet started doing simultaneously? "Literally". What in the actual fuck. Stop using that word in every second sentence, for no reason.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Know what's way worse, that everyone on the planet started doing simultaneously? "Literally". What in the actual fuck. Stop using that word in every second sentence, for no reason.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Patrick does need to chill on Interesting. He's been saying it a hell of a lot in the last few weeks.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

Truth.

I think it was the baffling irony that people started to use it almost exclusively when talking about something figurative that made it so bizarre.

Orbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What-the-fuck-ever.. You people will come up with anything to hate on Patrick it seems. It's getting old.

I really do not understand the hate patrick gets.. I really don't. He seems like a nice enough guy and brings much needed enthusiasm to this site.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

"Interesting" is a hipster

What the fuck does this even mean?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orbitz said:

What-the-fuck-ever.. You people will come up with anything to hate on Patrick it seems. It's getting old.

I really do not understand the hate patrick gets.. I really don't. He seems like a nice enough guy and brings much needed enthusiasm to this site.

Nobody is hating on Patrick. If anything OP and others have noticed how he's ostensibly using the word "interesting" for every possible game, mechanic, or event in his life and it sounds weird. It's like when your dad (if you have one) says "hey that's a groovy ___" every time he opens his mouth. No one is saying Patrick is an asshole or that he should be eaten alive by honey badgers, just that he's been ostensibly leaning on one word far too much for the past few weeks.

Ostensibly.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orbitz said:

Nobody is hating on Patrick. If anything OP and others have noticed how he's ostensibly using the word "interesting" for every possible game, mechanic, or event in his life and it sounds weird. It's like when your dad (if you have one) says "hey that's a groovy ___" every time he opens his mouth. No one is saying Patrick is an asshole or that he should be eaten alive by honey badgers, just that he's been ostensibly leaning on one word far too much for the past few weeks.

Ostensibly.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Patrick should adopt the Fieri lifestyle.

"Mm, that's bangin!'.. Its.. crunchy, tasty.."

Yeah, I would like to hear more games described as "money"

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@orbitz said:

No Caption Provided

You just turned this into a patrick-hate-not-hate thread.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JazGalaxy

@orbitz said:

Ostensibly.

Not the past few weeks. In my personal opinion he has used it as his main describing word as long as he's been on the site. I'll keep a tally or something next time he's talking about a game.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

You know, saying that something is "interesting" does not prevent you from explaining why you find it interesting.

"Interesting" is a hipster term that puts every game at the mercy of trying to impress one's lofty and not easily impressed tastes. Saying something is "interesting" is as though one is gracing it with their notice for mere moments and if it doesn't make the most of them, one is going to unleash the full weight of their hipster criticism on it.

Wait, WHAT!?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#22  Edited By audioBusting

This is a good advice that I'm trying to follow too (but not as well as I wish). Using vocabulary or terminologies like "interesting" or "risk/reward" or even "gameplay" can be bad, because it can trap our minds into thinking with these vague symbols that we made up because we're not really sure what we're talking about. This comes up often in academic writing when the author writes shit that doesn't mean anything to make it sound legit. Even if it is not intentional, I think this is something we should pay attention to when writing. Basically, be as descriptive or accurate as we can when communicating our thoughts.

edit: and there I went using "Basically," to end my post. I am infuriating myself.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People get worked up over the dumbest things.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By cornbredx

This thread is really interesting.

I am very interested in telling people how they should be to please me.

Please tell me more about this incredibly interesting topic.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Just repeat to yourself it's just a show podcast, I should really just relax."

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joey said:

@jazgalaxy said:

Trying to figure that one out too. Some of you guys must be real bored.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@joey said:

@jazgalaxy said:

Trying to figure that one out too. Some of you guys must be real bored.

Also what's with the double post business?

DAVE THE SITES BUSTED!

oh wait...

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think this is the thread that starts the apocalypse.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

can we start threads telling jeff to stop having terrible opinions on games? can we start threads saying that brad should stop being so sleepy during a podcast? should we tell ryan to stop being a dick?

when does it stop.

(with patrick because everyone notices patrick ticks much more often than anyone else because of... reasons?)

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Video_Game_King

@animasta said:

(with patrick because everyone notices patrick ticks much more often than anyone else because of... reasons?)

Because he's the new guy. It doesn't matter that he's been here for a while, and that Matt Rorie is technically the newest employee on Giant Bomb; Patrick's still the new guy.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@animasta: Isn't there a thread about Jeff's opinion on Yoshi's Island already?

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Patrick says something's interesting and then immediately proceeds to explain in detail a game to show why it's interesting, I don't see much wrong with that. It's a lot harder to come up with fancy words for every single game they discuss in spoken conversation than it is to, say, think up of a fancy word while writing.

Patrick saying "interesting" at the beginning of a discussion on a particular game provides a baseline, kind of like the thesis of an essay. You don't delve right into a game's mechanics and properties just as you don't begin an essay with a body paragraph. People will try to wonder what kind of tone you're attempting to set if you don't at least provide a simple adjective or something similar to start with. That can make game descriptions sound like a bullet point list instead of a real conversation.

So even though the word itself is not very descriptive of a particular game, it does set a tone that the speaker would like to get across as the game is being described.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Animasta

lol I like how you think his bad opinion on games stops at yoshi's island

I have no strong feelings about it anyway

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36  Edited By impartialgecko

If Vinny said "interesting" a lot no one would bat an eyelid.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShaggE

This is ostensibly the weirdest complaint I've seen yet, considering how the rest of the staff ostensibly has their own "crutch words".

Sorry, oldirtybearon, I know you ostensibly got to it first, but I came in here to rag on "ostensibly" (in a friendly manner... everybody overuses words), and dammit, that's what I'ma do.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JazGalaxy

@animasta said:

Because he's the new guy. It doesn't matter that he's been here for a while, and that Matt Rorie is technically the newest employee on Giant Bomb; Patrick's still the new guy.

that's absurd.

Someone says "Patrick is annoying because x" then they go on to support it with a list of solid reasons why and people are like "blah, you're just whining because you don't like patrick for no good reason."

I'm not a "patrick hater", but if a bunch of people find someone annoying, and go on to list SPECIFIC REASONS as to why, writing them off as a hater is as ridiculous as those models who say people don't like them because "they're just jealous".

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

What an interesting thread.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting is the new ostensibly.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

This thread is so uninteresting.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was such an interesting read.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was such an interesting read.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Animasta

@video_game_king said:

@animasta said:

that's absurd.

Someone says "Patrick is annoying because x" then they go on to support it with a list of solid reasons why and people are like "blah, you're just whining because you don't like patrick for no good reason."

I'm not a "patrick hater", but if a bunch of people find someone annoying, and go on to list SPECIFIC REASONS as to why, writing them off as a hater is as ridiculous as those models who say people don't like them because "they're just jealous".

no good reason?

well I mean technically it is no good reason considering this is a really silly thing to get angry about (or critique him about).

a lot of people are just saying that if brad all of the sudden started saying interesting a lot no one would care.

(I actually haven't noticed this problem, by the way, must be because I don't count how many times patrick says something or how many times brad doesn't talk or how many times ryan doesn't talk about games)

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@audiobusting said:

What's a "bad" opinion? Or is that just your opinion?

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@audiobusting said:

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@audiobusting said:

mostly the fact that his reasons for disliking a game are often really dumb and really nitpicky.

Not to say that's a purely Jeff thing but he does it a lot.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#49  Edited By Daneian

I agree.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting you should comment on him saying interesting as that post is filled with alot of interesting. Maybe the interesting thing is you are obsessed with the word interesting and interestingly maybe you think YOU own the word interesting. More pondering must be done.