Potatoes As A Condiment

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

On the 08/24/2010 Bombcast, Ryan makes a comment to Brad about the South being into the idea of potatoes as a condiment.  Upon hearing this, I thought "dood, who WOULDN'T dip their chicken into their mashed potatoes?"  However, I've never known this as being some kind of predominantly Southern thing. 

It did make me realize last night that I was listening to the Bombcast while eating a cheeseburger and fries...literally.  My fries were on the cheeseburger.  I stopped for a second and thought "HOLY FUCK, HE'S RIGHT!" 

So is this a predominantly Southern thing, or is Ryan disillusioned?  List off where you hail from and whether or not potatoes are used as a condiment!  I'm particularly curious about how the Irish see potatoes being used as a condiment.

Personally, I love some good mashed potatoes to go with my chicken fried steaks, chicken fried chicken...hell, I've even been known to use mashed potatoes and gravy as a condiment for french fries!!!

Mmmm...let me dip my hamburger in THAT!
 Mmmm...let me dip my hamburger in THAT!
Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Bay Area, and no, I don't use potatoes as a condiment. 

Hmm, must be a southern thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm from West Virginia.  

Mountaineers fully approve potatoes as a condiment.  

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jakob187
@InfamousBIG said:
" Bay Area, and no, I don't use potatoes as a condiment.  Hmm, must be a southern thing. "
See, my mom is from the Bay Area, and she's totally down for potatoes as a condiment.  I need to ask her whether she used potatoes as a condiment before or after moving to Texas.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax

Hmm.... interesting. I can see how that might be tasty. I might try that next time we have something with mashed potatoes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:
" @InfamousBIG said:
" Bay Area, and no, I don't use potatoes as a condiment.  Hmm, must be a southern thing. "
See, my mom is from the Bay Area, and she's totally down for potatoes as a condiment.  I need to ask her whether she used potatoes as a condiment before or after moving to Texas. "
Ya see, that's the thing.  I'm down for having potatoes as a condiment, I just never have really used them as a condiment.  To me, they're a side. 

But I'm 1/3 Irish.  Who doesn't love potatoes?
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187

Man, all this is making me think of a nice 8 oz. with some mashed potatoes to dip it in.  Put some Worchester in the mashed potatoes instead of gravy. 

Fuck, I'm hungry now...

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By frankxiv

at thanksgiving i can only eat the ham if i dip it in potatoes. that's about it though.

i'm from california. 

zepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By zepp

Maryland here. The only time I've been known to use potato's as a condiment is when I put potato chips on my sandwiches. A friend of mine in high school used to do it and it just rubbed of on me. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187
@zepp said:
" Maryland here. The only time I've been known to use potato's as a condiment is when I put potato chips on my sandwiches. A friend of mine in high school used to do it and it just rubbed of on me.  "
Potato chips ON your sandwich?  We use potato chips as the main ingredient of a sandwich in the South!  A potato chip sandwich!  It's amazing!
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ajamafalous

Houston/Austin.

No.

zepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zepp
@jakob187 said:
" @zepp said:
" Maryland here. The only time I've been known to use potato's as a condiment is when I put potato chips on my sandwiches. A friend of mine in high school used to do it and it just rubbed of on me.  "
Potato chips ON your sandwich?  We use potato chips as the main ingredient of a sandwich in the South!  A potato chip sandwich!  It's amazing! "
What!?! No offense but that sounds gross.
Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Crono11

Friends of mine put their fries in their burgers. I'm up in Canada.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187
@zepp said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @zepp said:
Potato chips ON your sandwich?  We use potato chips as the main ingredient of a sandwich in the South!  A potato chip sandwich!  It's amazing! "
What!?! No offense but that sounds gross. "
Try it.  You'll be amazed at how excellent it is.
zepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zepp
@jakob187 said:
" @zepp said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @zepp said:
What!?! No offense but that sounds gross. "
Try it.  You'll be amazed at how excellent it is. "
Wait, what else do you put on the sandwhich besides chips?
MrChuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrChuckles

I love dipping whatever meat that's with my mashed potatoes. Chicken, pork, sometimes steak. Often I do it more when I find the meat too well done and dry, since I prefer dark chicken and rare steak.

I'm from western canada, only other person I know who does it is my grandpa.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By OmegaChosen

Southern Texas and no, I don't use potatoes as condiments, only as a side. I don't see it as a southern thing really, more of an impatient person thing. Also, potatoes are too dense for me to be a viable condiment, as for me a condiment entails it being similar to a sauce and spreadable. Potatoes in any form are not that.

I did accidentally make some kind of potato gravy once when I put some potatoes in a food processor but I threw it out because it freaked me out.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By canucks23

Alberta Canada here, and... if there are mashed potatoes on a plate with something, usually i'll put it on whatever else i'm eating. So HELLZ YES potatoes as a condiment! Sometimes i'll put potato chips/fries in a burger or something even too if i'm feeling bored.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By wefwefasdf

When I go to Popeyes I usually get the popcorn shrimp meal. I sometimes dunk them in the mashed potatoes. It is delicious. :D

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

It doesn't work for me.

Darkpen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Darkpen

Bay Area here. Potatoes as a condiment is most prevalent in public school cafeterias, where kids try to make the most out of the crap they get. In elementary, it was common practice to sandwich shitty cheeseburgers with crunchy Lays chips and ketchup. In middleschool, it was anything with fries.

I'm sure at some point I dipped fried chicken in mash. There's also steak to consider, where mash may either be a side, or on the steak.

Korone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Korone

I fully endorse potatoes as a condiment.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Synthballs

Australia. 

Sausages, Meat Pies, Chicken. All go in Potato when available. My Chips from KFC go in my Potato and fucking gravy.

VergilMayCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By VergilMayCry

Vancouver, Canada.

I don't like french fries, so a lot of my friends steal them and shove them in their burgers whenever we go out to dinner together.

Mysterion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Mysterion

Ill eat mashed potatoes on a ton of stuff and I will eat potato sandwiches

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GunnBjorn

I think potato salad is the closest you could call a condiment, and even remotely so. 
Still, to me, potatoes are a staple food, no matter how you prepare.
Korone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Korone
@VergilMayCry said:
" Vancouver, Canada.  I don't like french fries, so a lot of my friends steal them and shove them in their burgers whenever we go out to dinner together. "
WHAT
Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Anund

Sweden here... this all sounds horrible. Dipping chicken in mashed potatoes? Fries ON the burger? Way to make them soggy and horrible... No thanks!

VergilMayCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By VergilMayCry
@Korone: 

you take your hamburger. remove the top bun. insert french fries. replace top bun. eat. :)

that's not even that weird. i refuse to eat the top bun on most of my burgers, and end up having these weird burger orders with half-missing buns and extra tomatoes.
Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I dipped some chicken in potato salad the other day.

CharAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CharAznable
@jakob187 said:
" @zepp said:
Is that like the Chip Butty powerup from Earthworm Jim?  lol

I'm from Philly, and I fully endorse potatoes as condiments. Chips on a sandwich is great, and ANYTHING goes at Thanksgiving. Also, at a local lunch cart I get bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches. I recently was encouraged to add hash browns on the sandwich - that counts as a condiment, right? It made the sandwich 10 times better.
SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By SBYM

Occasionally; but in rare cases.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CharAznable: Yes, hashbrowns are excellent on breakfast sandwiches.