Too much talk about death?

• 67 results
Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Death is pretty alright once you don't have much to live for. Don't get married, don't have children, don't have some crazy ambitions, and outlive your parents. Boom! Your death literally means nothing to anyone! Once you got that down you are truly a free man capable of looking the reaper right in his stupid hood cloaked endless void-looking face and laughing at him!

Wow that might be why I am totally fine with death and continue as is.....well I mean I want better but kids and marriage aint really factored. Interesting thought that for most to die is shirking responsibilities and peoples dependence on you. So it is a self guilt to be so "selfish" as to die and screw everyone else up. Much like being the dude that gets too drunk at a wedding and flips a table over then punches the bride.

Just a muse over psychology and philosophy.

I was off-put at first by the host change, but only because it was different--and it's really not. I think Brad is just a serviceable a host as Jeff and we get to have fun while he cuts his teeth in the chair. Jeff is a great reactionary, he can do a lot more great work when he can react directly to a story--not announce it, let it go around the table, and come back.

Brad is a natural and Jeff is on fire again. Re-juvenated a lot of my interest in the sites content.

Yeah I was increasingly being annoyed by how quiet Brad was in recent times. Not because he has nothing to say but because he eats something at lunch that has him dozing in the podcast room if not actually sleeping. I think the change may have been based on that and its an utter delightful bonus we get Jeff's reactionary humor back while Brad stays awake to interact on any level. He has more opinions if he reads stuff out than when he was on the other side. add in Dan's manic life story of the week no wonder we are hitting the 3hr mark like old time.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I think that the bomb crew tends to favor that anything can be funny, if used right and in good nature. The one time that they honestly felt something went too far was a curse used in anger that was immediately recanted. I mean go listen to the 07.09.13 bombcast where they are honoring the loss of someone close to them through humor.

Death is part of life, and you must embrace all life has to offer otherwise it will kill you.

Long live the Bradcast!

Also if you are feeling overwhelmed by thoughts of death, seek help. Therapy helped me get through some dark times, and made me a better person who doesn't need to think about death as much as he did. That is another thing about this website that I love. At any time day or night you can make a post about feeling down and people will reach out to help and truly listen. The community has gotten me through some tough times and I hope that I have helped others here to do the same. Life is precious, you only get one. If death weighs heavy on you, look for help. I'm here, the community is here, people in your life will be there for you, even if you haven't met them yet.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They talked about the dude passing and how it's a bummer that the industry getting older for like what 5-10 min? Not seeing the issue.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

@development said:

Nah. If we throw enough ice cubes at it it'll be fine. I don't know about you, but I'd rather live a billion years than 60-90.

Fuckin' A, man, Fuckin' A. I for one intend to live forever, and I think that plan's going pretty well so far.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was maybe 5 minutes. So, if that had you distressed, I urge you to seriously seek a bit of therapy because no one should be significantly distressed by the mention of death.

Not like the whole podcast was doom and gloom. They just recognized the reality of the industry and where it is, and had a brief conversation.

Not really sure how the conversation was all that bad. People die. They showed some respect, recognized the contribution of the departed, and made some darkly humorous quips.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Death is a part of life.

Vita means life.

Video-Games.

The Bombcast has made mention of notable videogamesmen passing on ever since 2008. It's fine to talk about this type of stuff if they want to talk about this type of stuff.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I didn't think that talk was that bad? I'm not sure what's to be bummed out about. They only mentioned it because someone who was significant died and some people may not have heard.

I can hardly recall it, so I agree. No idea what we are getting at. No big deal, that's for sure.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By thesquarepear

Despite what the atheist internet brigades might tell you, studying the different religions and their death scenarios, be it reincarnation, Valhalla or Purgatory, might help give you a sense of perspective by at least showing that this is something that has concerned people since the beginning of humanity.

I know that this might be a taboo on the bombcast just like politics but it might help if we knew what these concerns are based on.

Anyways I miss Vinny on the bombcast because he would usually lighten up the mood when things got too dire. I remember his enthusiastic tangents on the Souls and Witcher games fondly but the others seemed to ignore him except Ryan. I blame Brad Muir and his Massive Chalice for putting Brad in an existential mood. :)

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

I didn't think that talk was that bad? I'm not sure what's to be bummed out about. They only mentioned it because someone who was significant died and some people may not have heard.

I can hardly recall it, so I agree. No idea what we are getting at. No big deal, that's for sure.

Same boat. I didn't even remember them talking about death until I read this thread. I'm kind of weird though, so that sort of stuff doesn't really phase me.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Of course they should mention stuff like this when relevant. People worry about the weirdest things, it was like 5 minutes of a 3 hour podcast.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Some interesting replies on this thread. :D

Once you come to terms with your own mortality, you will be able to lead a fuller life.

I know I'm going to die. I think about it often, and I'm perfectly fine with it.

agreed

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By oraknabo

I didn't hear the bombcast episode with this news item, but I think, overall, one of the things that has made it so good over the years is the interplay of all of the crew's quirky personalities.

In the same way that Vinny talks about bugout bags and Jeff goes on about his irrational hatred of insignificant things and inability to control his buying/collecting impulses, Brad is constantly obsessed with death, disaster and horrible diseases. It seems totally in character for him to go off on a tangent about impending doom after a news item about a recent death in the industry.

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

too much talk about def jam

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nonesun said:

No.

I appreciate you not giving me a cereal box quote. This thread is ridiculous.

"Do you think this person is a little too "X"?

"You should seek counseling."

A++ advice, fellas, but I wasn't really looking for philosophical tips.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By TruthTellah

@development: I don't know. With Jeff's dad passing away last week, I think the discussion of death is somewhat appropriate. I mean, I remember their discussion of death when Ryan passed away. Obviously it's sad, but it's not something to necessarily avoid. We generally like them to feel like they can talk about whatever they want, and if it happens to be death, that's cool, too. The other 90% of the podcast can be Dan explaining something crazy he once did or something normal that he has never done. A little discussion of death is far from too much.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By development

@truthtellah: Just in case there is any confusion, I made this thread in response to the previous week's podcast; not the most recent one. And I didn't know about Jeff's dad at the time of course.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#68  Edited By KaneRobot

I think they should talk about what they want, and you should skip the parts you don't like. I do it all the time with other podcasts. Shrug.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nonesun said:

No.

A++ advice, fellas, but I wasn't really looking for philosophical tips.

Then why did you make the thread? Just to have other people validate your opinion?