Too Soon?

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DeadWeezel

Really, this is something people should just let go of.  I think, personally, if you are ever going to let something be "ok now" then that time should probably be immediately, even if it still hurts you or some other people that is not a feeling shared by all.

After seeing old men cry because of the things they saw or did in wars before some of us were around I think it is fair to say that it might still be too soon for some of them.  And a lot of soldiers these days are quite happy to get online and kill all night, in a game like Call of Duty 4.  So perhaps it's just different these days.  Iraq and all that might be a bit too soon for some people, but some of us just see it as another stupid event that probably should not of happened.  Not offended, not angry, just not interested in that way.  Feel real bad for all involved but it is not going to change my passtime.

For the people who lost family in Falluja on either side of the conflict it will probably always be too soon for it to be in a game, just like those old men from Market Garden 1944.

People get offended and upset all the time, however we do not need to dwell on that to prove we are not entirely callous.
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Drebin_893

Konami are dumb.

If the game flops, gamers will be unhappy.
If the game sells well, they're accused of profiteering.

And also, I don't know why but something about your post made me really dislike what you were saying.

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DeadWeezel

I'm not a callous person exactly, I do care about what happens to people in an over-arching way, but I see little point setting a mental time period where a bad event can only be seen a certain way.  History has shown us that every event, at some point, can be talked about in a different light.  Or even joked about.

I can not think of a single event where this was not true.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Hamz

I think the issue is rather that the game is based on a conflict or part of a conflict that is still ongoing. So people are still a little sensitive about it.

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DeadWeezel
Hamz said:
"I think the issue is rather that the game is based on a conflict or part of a conflict that is still ongoing. So people are still a little sensitive about it."
That is what had me thinking on the way to work tonight while listening to the bombcast.  Some people are still sensitive about it.  Not everyone.
I know a few people who have been through these conflicts and time certainly changes feelings and opinions somewhat but I never understood the whole concept of "too soon" if you see what I mean?
Not at all interested in the game, the bombcast discussion just sort of bothered me.  As if it was being suggested that although it is horrible right now, later on it's totally cool to make a game about it.
Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Nomin

People rather have short term memory. It's been only 60 years since 20+million people perished in world wars, 2 atomic bombs were dropped, 100,000+ people died in a single day of firebombing, 15 years since 800,000+ died in a few months in Rwanda, etc. The soldiers there are dying and sacrificing their youth for your right to enjoy playing their likeness in video game setting, among other things related to freedom of expression. In another 15 years, we might have a major conflict and only if we would be so fortunate as to discuss it as fodder for mediocre video games. I agree with you that it is not how soon the subject of a particular war is portrayed in a videogame but in what manner it is rendered.

For some veterans, there will never be any closure. They lost their friends, youth, went through hell and back and nightmares defy time and space. They share an experience far deeper and far more profound than any mere videogame could even begin to touch upon. War based shooter games are pure action games with requisite boundaries of taste and should be regarded as such, and frankly I think they would not trouble the veterans who would fail to see the resemblance or relevance to what they have done.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By JudgeDread

what really tickles my nerve is how most people talking about these things almost always are talking about the respect for the soldiers...
if you join any army you should know what you are getting into
what about the fricking civilians that are the victims of the soldiers!!!!