Audio Sync is off in many different live videos

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

It seems to be about 50 to 100 ms - it can be noticed in any scene where the person talking is visible. Some videos are worse than others, but there are sync issues in videos hosted on the site, downloaded, and on YouTube. The most recent Big Live Live show videos have this problem, some worse than others, but it's been happening for awhile. This is happening on both OS X and Windows, and I have seen other people in comments sections and YouTube reporting audio sync issues as well.

@drewbert@unastrike

Example:

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I've also noticed this recently, it's not a mile out or anything but it is irritating.

GhostHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

I've been noticing this as well

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've also noticed this issue while watching some of the archived stuff. It starts out fine but as the video goes on the audio going out of sync becomes more noticeable.

rbanke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

A couple months ago I noticed that everytime I watch archived live content the sync is off. When I watch live stuff I almost always put it on my second monitor and work while it plays so I'm not watching a whole lot. I'll look over and notice the audio is out of sync and as someone else said, it seems to get worse the longer its been playing. Sometimes the sync can be fixed by refreshing the page and hitting play again but not allways. Because I'm typically not watching, it only gets annoying when I start really focusing on a segment.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah, I've noticed this a bit too. It's not catastrophic or anything, but it amazes me how noticeable even the tiniest thing out-of-sync is.

outsidethewall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By outsidethewall

Definitely noticed this over the past few weeks at least. Usually I just click playback to a few seconds back, and this will reload the video and fix the issue, but that doesn't even seem to be working with the BLLSL stuff.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump - this is still a problem. It's been over five weeks since I posted this thread, and several months since this problem started occurring. Some kind of staff response would be nice so we know that you guys are at least looking into it or something.

Most recent video with sync problems is the All Our Video Gear is on a Truck show. I posted in that thread, too - video streamed or downloaded from the site is out of sync by a significant amount, however the direct streamed YouTube video is perfectly fine. Hopefully this will help you guys troubleshoot where the problem is occurring and get it fixed.

Fink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: I figured that show was that bad due to the limited amount of gear they had?

But if the youtube stream worked, hmmm

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jslack

@mb: Hey there. This has been posted multiple times under multiple topics, and my repsonse is the same as it was before, unfortunately. We need the video guys to look at it, nothing we can do from the engineering side. Maybe you'll want to tweet at jason or drew.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is this getting worse?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mike

@jslack said:

Maybe you'll want to tweet at jason or drew.

I don't use Twitter. Maybe you can tweet them or send an internal email or something?

I already took the time to document the problem here, and I'm not the only one experiencing audio sync issues. I would like to think that someone from Giant Bomb would take it from this point and work on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Appuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jslack: don't think it's the video file. When after a while the audio goes out of sync, I just click a few seconds back to reload the video and everything is in sync again. So to me this seems like a video player issue. ( tested with latest unpro. Friday video on html5 )

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jslack

@mb: BTW, I am working on this, and about 1000 other things. Unfortunately, it's not so simple. Hope to have a solution in soon! Sorry for issues.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@appuh said:

@jslack: don't think it's the video file. When after a while the audio goes out of sync, I just click a few seconds back to reload the video and everything is in sync again. So to me this seems like a video player issue. ( tested with latest unpro. Friday video on html5 )

You may be experiencing a different problem, then. In many videos sound is out of sync on YouTube and in the downloaded video file as well. It's the source.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Ya, actually there are a couple of known issues right now, so it's kind of confusing to discuss. We are encoding with some new bitrate options - something might be out of sync there. As far as the audio out of sync - the player itself has not change, but it might be doing something wrong in regards to the content quality that is getting loaded.

This is on the top of my priorities anyway, so stay tuned.