Choppy Video

optimalpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No matter which option I select, the video is very choppy. Only started doing this on the new player so I am not sure what the problem is.

My pc isn't very good but I used to have no problem running videos fullscreen, but now I can't run any video well in any format, unfortunately.

Any ideas?

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Can you provide specs on your browser, OS and what resolution / video you're watching? Our HD resolution is a bit higher quality then before and that could be a tipping point.

waterlovinguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By waterlovinguy

Can you also say what version of Flash your using? And also give a URL to an example video that gave you issues?

Thanks

SnakeSDR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By SnakeSDR

I'm experiencing the same problem. I'm using the following:

Chrome version24.0.1312.57 m (latest)

Windows XP SP3 (all the latest updates)

An older system with a 3.0Ghz dual core, 4GB of DDR2 RAM and a 512MB Radeon 5450 (not a very good card, but works well enough for hd video)

I had no issues running any of the video options or resolutions before and also the download for the HD version is very slow (90 Kbs when I normally get 1400 - 1800 Kbs).

xenobytezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xenobytezero

I'm getting the same issue, a half second freeze every second or so, in all video methods (streaming, HTML5, Youtube). Used to have no problems playing before, usually using the HTML5 player.

Chrome 24.0.1312.57 m

Windows 8

Intel Atom N550 @1.50Ghz

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm on the flip side. After probably 4+ months of 100-200Kbps max from Giant Bomb I've been streaming HD video in the HTML5 player with no hiccups since the redesign launch. That is when I can get past the 500s... but that's another story.

derevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I have been having this same problem, and am also using Chrome, so I did a little research. I noticed that it wasn't just the video that was stuttering every second or so, but page scrolling as well, so it's not the video player. I opened up chrome dev tools and did some profiling and noticed that my "After the Deadline" extension was the only thing actually doing anything and it was firing a timer ever second. So, after disabling the After the Deadline extension for GiantBomb, it seems this issue has been resolved for me.

Hope that helps.

xenobytezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glasswall52: This is exactly what was happening to me, disabled the extension for GB and it works flawlessly.

Thanks!

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

I have been having this same problem, and am also using Chrome, so I did a little research. I noticed that it wasn't just the video that was stuttering every second or so, but page scrolling as well, so it's not the video player. I opened up chrome dev tools and did some profiling and noticed that my "After the Deadline" extension was the only thing actually doing anything and it was firing a timer ever second. So, after disabling the After the Deadline extension for GiantBomb, it seems this issue has been resolved for me.

Hope that helps.

Unrelated, but I love when these things turn out to be someone elses fault :/

TheInsider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheInsider

I have this same problem but have no extensions in Chrome. Very choppy. Would say like 7 frames a second kind of choppy. It's only like this on the new video player

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Same problems on firefox. Also the spinning tape podcast animation oddly brings my computer to its knees and makes everything lag :/ And while my computer isn't the most amazing thing out there, that shit makes no sense. It can handle streamig hd video, but a tape player animation.. fugetaboutit

CrystaljDesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CrystaljDesign

I am having this issue in Chrome 24.0.1312.57 m, Win 7 x64, 3.5ghz quad core cpu. Ever since the relaunch the videos are choppy in full screen, no matter the setting. Very sad :-(

TheInsider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tested with Internet Explorer and Firefox as well, none fare any better. The twitchtv embed runs smooth as glass though so it has to be the new player

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Getting the same problem in Firefox 18.0.2 on Windows 8 with Flash 11.6.602.168. This is on the HD progressive setting but I haven't tested any other settings.

I don't think it's my computer but here are my specs: i5 760 2.80 Ghz Quad Core, Radeon 6870, and 4 GB of RAM.

austinmiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By austinmiller

My issue is that the videos on Progressive, Streaming and HTML 5 (not YouTube) noticeably drop frames after a time. The beginnings of videos run perfectly, no hitches whatsoever, but the towards the middle is when problems begin occurring. For example, during this week's archived "Unprofessional Fridays," the hitching started around 17 minutes in. I love the look and what not of the new player and hope that these issues will get ironed out. And while I'm here, let me go ahead and share my specs as well:

CPU: i7-3770k

GPU: GTX 680 4gb

RAM: 32Gb

Browser: Chrome 24.0.1312.57 m

The new site looks great. Thanks and GLHB.

Edited: (If needed, I can capture some video of the dropping frames)

l3illyl3ob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By l3illyl3ob

Hope that helps.

I want to thank you for this. The problem is CPU usage, and the site using way too much of it. I bugged dave over twitter about it while the site was in beta and I was in the process of submitting a bug report about it when I saw this thread. For whatever the reason, After the Deadline uses up a crazy amount of CPU on this site only, and it increases its CPU usage over time as you idle on a page. This makes videos choppy, text editing laggy, etc. Now I can watch videos on the site again!

austinmiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for telling me about the After the Deadline CPU usage. I've disabled it as well, and things are running great.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Dogma

What is "After the Deadline"? Explain to a guy!

I really want my GIantbomb work as usual. I have the same problems with a very choppy video on either option. Nothing is smooth and it has forced me to start download files and watch them natively on my computer. I don't like it that is what I have to do to ger videos to work as they should.

I have a quite old Mac Mini with 1,66 GHz Core Duo and 2 GB 667 Mhz DDR SDRAM. It's using Leopard v. 10.5.8

I use Safari for my browsing but even Firefox has problems. The old site work execelent for me (and no other site has this problem either) and it's a shame that I can't watch video anymore directly on the site.

ShaolinSpade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still having this issue only with the Giantbomb video player. The choppy videos are accompanied by a cpu spike into the 90% range. Anybody figured this out yet? It's definitely not an extension thing for me

huxley001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get choppy and freezing videos (but audio keeps playing normally) no matter what type of video format (HTML5, streaming, progressive.) I've tried multiple browsers as well. It happen more often if I go to full screen. It isn't all the time, but enough that it's noticeable (it never happened at all before). I'm not really sure what is causing it.

I generally get the best result from html5 in Firefox, but I still have to jump around between settings and do a rain dance to get it to work.

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huxley001: We have another thread relating to the Firefox problem over here: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/html5-video-streaming-in-firefox-390-1778418 There are a few suggestions in there that might help, but I've had no luck so far.

Bummlmitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having the same problem with the HTML 5 player, which is fixed by switching to fullscreen mode!? (don't ask me why)

Opera 31.0.1889.99

Win 7

player settings HTML 5 high

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bummlmitz: Full screen screws my choppiness even more in Firefox.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

When some videos are suddenly just stop streaming for whatever reason and get stuck I've noticed Win10's Edge does a slightly better job than Chrome. For instance I could not watch the last Metal Gear Scanlon in HD - I had to have it so that it would every couple of minutes drop down to like 480p for several seconds before going back to HD or else it would just get stuck indefinitely.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This would mainly happen to me both on this site and YouTube when using the HTML 5 option on my Lenovo T410 (i5 560M, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, latest version of Firefox with no add-ons enabled, and a 3Mbps down connection). But everything works fine when I reinstalled/re-enabled Flash and used the progressive or streaming options at HD in fullscreen.

So, yeah. I'm pretty much echoing huxley.

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesilenttruth: Can you try using Chrome (for just one video) to see if we can confirm it's a Firefox problem?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@gravytrain: I uninstalled Flash on my laptop and tried HTML5 HD fullscreen with Chrome after noticing your post and the video (testing with Metal Gear Scanlon 4 Part 9 between 30 and 40 minutes specifically since I first noticed the stuttering at that time frame), plays as smooth as butter. Tried HTML5 HD fullscreen with Firefox with Flash still uninstalled on the same video and it's choppy again. And just to fully test things on my laptop, I reinstalled Flash, played the same video with Firefox at the same settings, and everything plays fine. No stuttering or noticeable video lag.

And for even more good measure, I did some more testing with my desktop, which is very similar to my laptop in terms of specs aside from a Celeron G1840, a GTX 750 Ti SC and slightly faster RAM. Same video, same video settings, same time frame: Plays fine with Chrome. Plays fine with Firefox with Flash installed. The audio gets ahead of the video by a few seconds with Firefox without Flash installed/enabled.

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesilenttruth: Good to know, that seems to be the narrative that for some reason HTML5 playback in Firefox is still garbage. I don't know if the GB crew can do anything about it then. Thanks for confirming!