Quoting/replies on mobile?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Bollard

This isn't a question per se however I was wondering if there were plans to allow quoting or @replying people on mobile devices. It seems like a weird omission.

In fact, while I'm on the topic, why can't we view the full site while on mobile anymore either?

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SexyToad

This isn't a question per se however I was wondering if there were plans to allow quoting or @replying people on mobile devices. It seems like a weird omission.

In fact, while I'm on the topic, why can't we view the full site while on mobile anymore either?

I would love to have this feature, replying and quoting that is.

We cant view the full website because the new site is adaptive. There is no "mobile site" or "full site"

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

You actually can use @replies on mobile. I don't understand why the button is absent. The majority of the work is done, they just need to insert @username into the text field.

And yeah, this is the full site. They disable WYSIWYG features because it ranges from nonfunctional to barely functional on current mobile devices. They also disable the second column for no reason at all.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By joshthebear

If your mobile browser has a "request desktop site" setting, then hit that and the reply/quote shows up. Not really the ideal way, but it's better than nothing.

Overall the site took a huge hit for me in mobile browsing compared to the m.giantbomb of old.

alexisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By alexisg

@chavtheworld: @sexytoad: @lordandrew: @joshthebear: @replies in the mobile view is on the list of things to fix. Sorry I know its taking longer than it should. Since the editor doesn't work in mobile (there were just sooo many variables devices that would need to be addressed for it to work) we actually have to write that part from scratch. It may or may not be hard. But it bothers me as well.

The right hand column is disabled on most of the pages on the site but we should probably turn it on for forums. Reason being why we turned it off in the first place is because of resources on most phones. Current phones can handle almost anything you throw at them but go back a couple generations and memory and screen paint draw issues become a real thing.

And yes the site is responsive now. You are essentially getting the same site but in a mobile view. The old mobile site actually stripped out a bunch more pages and features.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Bollard

@alexisg: Thanks a lot for keeping in contact with us users :) It's appreciated!

The main reason I asked about the mobile site thing is cause when using my tablet (Microsoft Surface) it displays the site full screen like the usual website, but is lacking all profile pictures in the forums, the full editor and some other bits and pieces (like the different video player I think?). Obviously on my tablet I'd like to use the full version of the site, which is why I was wondering if there was a way to force it off of mobile.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

@alexisg: Well, the wiki-details box would be useful on mobile. That shouldn't be too resource-intensive. The only way to see it now is to request the desktop site, which turns on the WYSIWIG editor and other things I don't need. The rest of the things in the right/bottom pane are available elsewhere so there's no need to display them.