Really bad transfer speeds from Giant Bomb

soralapio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By soralapio

For the past week or so, I've been unable to stream much of anything from Giant Bomb. I've traditionally watched the HD versions of your streams, and they've been fine. Not anymore, though. I get constant freezes and stutters because the transfer can't keep up. Today I dropped my viewing resolution to high, which seemed to help for a while, but now I can't stream reliably even at that resolution.

I have a fast connection at home (a 100 Mbit connection, about 7-8 megs / second realistic speeds) and I'm able to stream fine from many other sites like Twitch, Netflix and YouTube even at the highest settings, so I'm assuming the problem is somewhere along the path to Amazon's video servers or something. I've tried various browsers, I've tried the HTML5 player, the streaming player and the progressive player. None of it really helps.

I realize this is a really hard problem to debug and fix, especially since it very well may not be a problem at Giant Bomb's end at all but in one of the many steps on the way. So I'm not expecting you to magically solve this or anything, and I'm mostly bringing it to your attention since apparently I'm not alone with my problem. Are the any traces or something I could run in hopes of trying to pinpoint the issue?

(I was told to tag @rick here!)

RColl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RColl

You aren't alone, exact same problem here and I can stream higher quality videos on other sites fine. Same time frame as well, about the last week.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

There has been some kind of stuttering problem in videos that I've been downloading. I wonder if this is related somehow.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By myke_tuna

I will add in another voice to this problem. I'm not sure what's happening and if it's even their "fault". Either way, it is a little odd as I can still stream HD on everything else and used to do the same on this very site not too long ago.

Firefox 47.0.1

Windows 10 x64

soralapio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is still a problem. I'm trying to watch the Galgun quick look at HTML5/High settings and it's pausing every 10-15 seconds for a good while to buffer.

I essentially can't use the site right now.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mirado

@soralapio: Have you tried using VLC? Copy the desired quality download link (HD, I'd assume), open VLC, feed the link (something like "Open Network" or "Network Stream" under either "File" or "Open Source"), and see how it plays.

It's still going to pull from the same servers (I assume?) so it won't fix that problem, but it should take all browser related issues out of the picture.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By szlifier

You can try this fix from a blog post of mine.

I still use this method when speeds are getting bad.

soralapio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado said:

@soralapio: Have you tried using VLC? Copy the desired quality download link (HD, I'd assume), open VLC, feed the link (something like "Open Network" or "Network Stream" under either "File" or "Open Source"), and see how it plays.

It's still going to pull from the same servers (I assume?) so it won't fix that problem, but it should take all browser related issues out of the picture.

No difference, but it's still a good diagnostic tool for precisely that reason, so thanks for the suggestion. The problem seems to be that data is coming extremely patchily. With Resource Monitor on my transfers occasionally jump to ~3500 KB/s, but then immediately drop off altogether. So for whatever reason I can't get stuff reliably and steadily from the streaming server. It'd be really nice to know why.

illrepute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@szlifier said:

You can try this fix from a blog post of mine.

I still use this method when speeds are getting bad.

Thank you so much, this seems to have worked! Anyone having problems with hitching and stuttering live streams should give this fix a try. I've been having the same issue as the OP and was checking to see if anyone had reported the same.