Roku Beta App Hard Crashes on launch

XAMPPRocky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello Giantbomb, I've been using the beta Roku app and it has been pretty good up until today where it now immediately hard crashes on launch after the bomb logo displays. My roku did update last night to "version 9.3.0 build 4143", so there's probably something in the new Roku firmware version that breaks it.

Gatorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the same issue

demazin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hello Giantbomb, I've been using the beta Roku app and it has been pretty good up until today where it now immediately hard crashes on launch after the bomb logo displays. My roku did update last night to "version 9.3.0 build 4143", so there's probably something in the new Roku firmware version that breaks it.

Same here

Avatar image for plethomacademia
plethomacademia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Happening here as well, been dead for the last two days or so.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Hey, sorry for the trouble here. It looks like the GameSpot app broke too so we're assuming something happened on Roku's end. We'll have someone look into it!

ShawnS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 41

Throwing my fuel onto the fire as well. I've got the app installed on 2 different Rokus. 1 is the standalone roku box that you plug into the TV, the other is a TCL TV with Roku built in.

Standalone box: App is crashing
TCL TV: App is still working

Not sure if it's a Roku update that hasn't hit my TV or not. Just sharing what info I've got. Thanks guys!

owlnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still utterly and completely broken. This is hugely frustrating. And every time something goes wrong with the app (which is tragically more frequent than it should be), I have to go wading around in a half dozen years-old threads about "roku" to see which one (if any) has had any official reply whatsoever. I'd like to log a vote for GB to finally get a legitimate support ticketing system, so real issues can be submitted and tracked effectively and get the attention that is due to them, and those who are affected can monitor (or *gasp* get notifications) when progress occurs and there's eventually a solution? Please?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey I apologize for all the Roku problems. It's a priority for the engineer assigned to it and hopefully we'll have some news soon. It's happening on the Gamespot Roku as well so as far as we can tell Roku changed something that broke some stuff for us but we're looking into it.

AntiHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Thanks for the follow up reply. I mainly watch my precious content on one of two TVs and one of them the app still works. The living room TV, lets call the “Dinner TV” stopped working and it is when we usually watch hot new premium content. During dinner.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yea just adding my voice on the Roku problems as well, It's been the main way i consumed GB content. just straight up crashes on startup

The daily twitch streams and that stuff getting archived on youtube has been great though, so ill make due with the free content in the meanwhile. and worse case scenario, ill just download a stack of the premium videos onto a usb and plug it in on my TV or ps4 and watch that way.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antihero said:

@rorie: Thanks for the follow up reply. I mainly watch my precious content on one of two TVs and one of them the app still works. The living room TV, lets call the “Dinner TV” stopped working and it is when we usually watch hot new premium content. During dinner.

Thanks for your patience and I apologize for the issues. As I mentioned in another thread sometimes these issues require getting Roku on the horn and that can sometimes be a roadblock to resolving this stuff, but hopefully we'll have some news early next week. It's a priority for the engineer who's assigned to it.

SmackChopG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, thanks for looking into this problem, I'm also hoping things can get sorted out. I know theres been issues with roku's end from the past, fingers crossed that it is fixable.

Avatar image for plethomacademia
plethomacademia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is still broken and is the primary way we engage with pretty much all content but most importantly how we engage with premium content.

playeroneready

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

any update on this rorie?

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

playeroneready

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SmackChopG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CHALGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnsHey ShawnS, i know this is very unlikely for you to se, but there's something about one of the images that you posted over 10 years ago that are fascinating me, more specifically for the Wacky Races PS2 game. because some of the GUI from the images don't match up with the final product at all. you could potentially have a copy of the beta for this game, and if you do can you leak it for us to use, mainly because i have loved this game since i was a kid and no known betas of the PS2 game have been released, so you would be a massive credit to the whole discord if you could leak it. https://www.giantbomb.com/wacky-races/3030-21342/images/

ShawnS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chalgaming: I'm still here, just lurkin'. Sadly I don't own a pre-release version of the game. I was at E3 in 2000/01 and most likely got these images from the Infogrames press kit. I can dig that up and see if there's any other good stuff on there like concept art but I don't have a copy of the game itself.

CHALGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawns well it's not a beta, but it'll do, and it's easier to share as well.

ShawnS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it's not the game itself but these was surprising to find! I'm about to leave for work but I'll get everything I can off the discs and zip it up for you tonight.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

ShawnS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawns: ha! I'm pretty sure that's ICQ running in the taskbar. You sure don't get press material like this anymore.

ShawnS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chalgaming: Now that I've gone through what I have, I realized those images are actually from GamesPress. I did go ahead and zip up what I have if you still wanted to take a look.

CHALGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnsthanks man, i have been wondering what these actually are for ages now. :D

CHALGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnshang on a moment... i just looked at the screenshots... not a single one that you leaked appeared on the disc... is there another one?

ShawnS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chalgaming The ones you're actually looking for came from a press site called GamesPress, from before the game was out. These images would have been provided by Infogrames directly who obviously would have early builds of the game since they were publishing it. I double checked the site and they don't have any more images than I already uploaded here on GB so there's nothing more to get there.

CHALGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnsallright, good to know. thanks for contributing to the beta preservation of the game with all of the screenshots, and most importantly, the uncompressed trailer! we all know IGN is complete crap at reuploading trailers. well then, time to not use giantbomb for another decade until i need it for some more questions from another game lol.

ShawnS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers