Some games don't seem to have an image property coming through in the API.

Chunker_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm using the GameVault app on my iPhone to manage my collection. The app leverages the Giantbomb API to hook into the amazing games database here. However, I've noticed some very rare instances where games pull into the app without an image property.

Two examples of this are Far Cry 4 (https://www.giantbomb.com/far-cry-4/3030-46310/) and NBA 2K15 (https://www.giantbomb.com/nba-2k15/3030-45334/). The problem is the same (no image properties pulling into the app) regardless of which console version or release I try to add to my collection. So it seems it's a missing property of the main game page, not at the console or release level.

Has anyone else experienced similar with some games in the API? Does anyone know if there's a spot in the wikis of the two listed pages where a detail is missing that can be amended to "fix" these pages?

I have stopped short of requesting my own API token and getting into the code (I am a code developer so might resort to that)... but thought I would ask here first. If this is the wrong spot to ask, I will post on the API Developer board instead... but I posted here first because, as far as the app I'm using is concerned, it's a bug.

PS: The GameVault app is free and awesome, so giving props to Kevin Gudgeirsson who created it. And Giantbomb is awesome too!

Ankit_Tiwari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey there! I've come across the same issue with certain games missing their image properties when using the GameVault app. It seems to be consistent across different releases of titles like Far Cry 4 and NBA 2K15.

To my knowledge, this might be an issue at the main game page level on Giant Bomb, rather than a problem specific to individual console versions or releases. I haven't found any detail discrepancies on the wiki pages for these games, but it might be worth double-checking the 'Images' section or reaching out to the community to see if anyone has insights into this missing property.

As a fellow developer, diving into the API could indeed provide some clarity, but I'd suggest posting in the API Developer board here first. Sometimes these discrepancies can be resolved with minor adjustments or updates.

Big kudos to Kevin Gudgeirsson for the fantastic GameVault app and, of course, to the Giant Bomb community for their amazing database

Chunker_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for responding. And yeah, it’s definitely at the game level… not the release level.

I tried uploading some images to the page here in Giantbomb, but it hasn’t made any difference for the app.

I think next step is indeed to post to the Developers chat and see if anyone there would mind taking a look at the JSON for these games vs games that do return images.

And if nobody there responds, I will probably ask Giantbomb for my own developer API key and take a look myself.

I have a few thousand games in my collection (a full wall of complete in box games all lovingly filed by console, genre, subgenre, series, time). As well as many digital games as well. I love keeping the collection nicely in order in real life and in the game vault app. And these two games with missing images really bug me!! Haha.

So yeah, I’m driven to work out what’s happening.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Thanks for responding. And yeah, it’s definitely at the game level… not the release level.

I tried uploading some images to the page here in Giantbomb, but it hasn’t made any difference for the app.

I think next step is indeed to post to the Developers chat and see if anyone there would mind taking a look at the JSON for these games vs games that do return images.

And if nobody there responds, I will probably ask Giantbomb for my own developer API key and take a look myself.

I have a few thousand games in my collection (a full wall of complete in box games all lovingly filed by console, genre, subgenre, series, time). As well as many digital games as well. I love keeping the collection nicely in order in real life and in the game vault app. And these two games with missing images really bug me!! Haha.

So yeah, I’m driven to work out what’s happening.

Hello, I'm sorry that I somehow missed this, but I can ping @dtoast, who is the new contact person regarding issues with the site and bugs. Happy to see you have interest in making this work.

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dtoast  Staff

Weird that I never saw this ping but let me send this to the engineers.