The "in this episode" thing can be a little spoilery.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By gkhan

I almost feel bad bringing this up, because I really like the "In this episode" thing as a new feature. But I had managed to avoid news of what happened at the PlayStation State of Play thing, and I was excited to watch it. But then I opened the video and before I even clicked play it spoiled all the announcements:

No Caption Provided

This is not a huge deal for this dumb PlayStation thing, but E3 is coming up, and that's a bigger deal. Maybe hide it under a collapsable thing or something?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I'll agree. Not a huge point here but I can see how it might affect other features. I'm also not a fan of how it makes the video seems offset, either, but I do like the idea a whole lot.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Seems really excessive and I can't say I'd ever be upset by it, but you have a point that the E3 surprises are as much a part of watching those videos as their commentary.

That said, the front page is always plastered with the trailers alongside the conference archives, so people wanting to avoid spoilers must have really had their work cut out for them already.

AdamALC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like knowing who is on the program so I can make decisions about watching, as for the rest, if it bothers people sure take it out but it is an either or for me.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mellotronrules

i'm ok with hiding them as long as the game list is still easily available for those that want it.

but if i'm being honest i do think it's a bit much to call a list of games in marketing material 'spoilers.' but to each their own.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

i'm ok with hiding them as long as the game list is still easily available for those that want it.

but if i'm being honest i do think it's a bit much to call a list of games in marketing material 'spoilers.' but to each their own.

I know, I totally agree, that's why I feel kinda bad reporting it even. But it bothered me a bit (Predator game, wut?), and I thought I'd bring it up.

Some-human

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I agree it's a bit much to classify a games list spoilery, but Spoilers aren't my area anyway. I am totally find with knowing who Keyser Soze is going into the film, but for those that want, maybe a 'click to show/hide' isn't a bad idea?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm just here to echo that treating revealed, discussed marketing content as spoilers is pretty ridiculous. I'm not down with this

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By nutter

@teddie: You’d be surprised how easy it can be. I think the only time Giant Bomb spoils shit on me is:

- Brad’s one-time obsession with spoiling major plot points for new games (there were a number of years where he did this on the Bombcast, followed by a number of years where he audibly struggled with his desire to do so...he’s better these days).

- Alex’s flippant attitude toward spoiling games he deems bad. I want to say the most recent example was a pretty deep dive on the plot of Detroit in the first week or two after release.

I do love spoilercasts, though. Giant Bomb does a great job with them, and if you want to tune in and hear their thoughts, the conversation is made better by the fact that they can speak freely.

I guess I’m pretty good at avoiding spoilers by staying off the Internet (this is site 99% of my Internet usage) and just glossing over front page content. I like surprises, so I’ve just sort of gotten used to not reading article titles/bylines in any detail as I scan the front page.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I think the idea for a collapsible description would be great.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making it collapsible is a good idea they should probably think about.

But also I feel like spoiler culture is slowly driving me insane.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@efesell: I mean I get that, but sometimes it's fun when a UPF has a dumb surprise game, right? For them to do a bit about building up to the reveal of what they're gonna be playing, you have to not know ahead of time. Otherwise, it's just thirty seconds of them wasting time. The collapsible info is a simple solution that wouldn't negatively impact anyone. Like I said up top, it's not a huge deal but there are times when not knowing what's coming in a video can make it better.

ShaggsMagoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I think that the default should be it being collapsed and then let the user click on it for the information. Think of the Super Mario Party stream from last year, the entire joke from the early portion of the video would be ruined if that list showed that Drew was in it before you even hit the play button.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Would be nice to have the entire info bar on the side hidden, so the video is in the centre of the screen. But having the game list hidden is good as well. It's nice to be surprised when watching the press conferences / variety streams.

Also, is it possible to bring back the embiggen option. Full screen isn't always the best option, and the default has the videos looking tiny and awkward on higher resolution monitors.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great for UPF, since I can see if they're playing anything I'm interested in seeing that week without having to skim the video, but yeah, not so great for press conferences since I want to be surprised. Either way, not a huge deal.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

@nutter said:

@teddie: You’d be surprised how easy it can be. I think the only time Giant Bomb spoils shit on me is:

- Brad’s one-time obsession with spoiling major plot points for new games (there were a number of years where he did this on the Bombcast, followed by a number of years where he audibly struggled with his desire to do so...he’s better these days).

"I don't know if I should say anything"

Proceeds to say everything.