What To Do When Giant Bomb Infinite Goes Down Or Isn't Working (Even On The Weekends)

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1 ZombiePie  Staff

Hey everyone, a while back, a few Giant Bomb users asked what they should do, especially on the weekends, when Giant Bomb Infinite goes down, a poll or video isn't working, or the entire Infinite chat simply becomes unusable. The new directions I have to share are relatively easy, but here is a little backstory about Infinite and why it's the most brittle part of the site. Some will deny what I'm about to say, but Infinite has always been a bit of a buggy mess. The reason is that the entire feature was made over one weekend by a single engineer as a fun side project, and its popularity was even a surprise when it first debuted. That engineer has since left the site.

With that preamble out of the way, what should you or anyone else do when you notice Infinite not working? For example, the most common issue involves people picking a video using the poll feature only to discover the selected video does not work on or is incompatible with Infinite. 99.99% of the time, these issues require a manual reset of Infinite, which requires a staff member to go into the CMS to flick a switch. To make that happen, here's what you can do:

Option #1: If you are in the Giant Bomb Discord, go to the "Site Tech Issues" channel and drop a message saying that Infinite is down to @dtoast. Remember to include him in your comment!

Option #2: If you do not wish to use or sign up for a Discord account, comment in the following thread, but ping @dtoast saying that Infinite is currently down.

Remembering to ping @dtoast with an @ is the most crucial part. A common situation is that people are dropping comments in Discord that Infinite is down, but without a ping to Dylan, he only knows to fix it when he checks the Site Issues channel. Again, fixing Infinite is NOT HARD, and you shouldn't view notifying him as an inconvenience.

On weekends, depending on when you file your bug report, it may take time to process your request, but it will be done as soon as possible. If needed, I can try to reset Infinite.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I thought this would be a list of cool things you could do when Infinite goes down.

Like, eat a chocolate bar. Or pet a dog.

Xolotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks! Useful and simple items. I'll make sure to drop this in the GB Infinite chat so the regulars can see it.

Separately, is there any way a link to this could be pinned to the top of the GBI chat in the same way the google doc for the Bombcast is pinned?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#4 ZombiePie  Staff
ZarroBoogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks, we infiniteers appreciate it!

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Solid work, thank you!

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nifbor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nifbor  Online

Awesome! Thank you!

blitzfitness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe Option 3 is to set fire to a sacrifice of Oreo Cookies covered in nacho cheese on an altar, but I haven't had time to confirm.

compucatte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dtoast Looks like GBI is currently not playing any videos in the stream (the stream's still up though) and needs someone to poke it.

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dtoast  Staff
mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mekon

@dtoast Hi thanks for that, but it seems to be stuck on the GBi logo now, has been for hours...

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dtoast  Staff

@mekon: My fixes didn't work, but pinged my secondary contact.