Did I just screw myself out of 40 hours of gameplay?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By AlKusanagi

So I get to the catacombs and find out I need a divine weapon to kill them. I go to the blacksmith in the Undead Parish to make one of my weapons divine.

Then I sneeze. Drop the controller. Which lands on the right trigger and bobbles around, hitting the blacksmith and turning him hostile.

So is that it? I've completely screwed myself out of making those types of weapons and buying titanite? I know there are other blacksmiths later in the game, but I already gave the smithing upgrade items to that one.

Drazat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Drazat

LOL

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By McShank

My god man.. FromSoft knew this would happen so you would be fucked. I am now taping the controller to my hands while i play. Honestly I dont know what you are to do now. I have never attacked any blacksmith in the souls games before because i love them so. If you didnt kill him, the guy atop the belltower sells something that can repair the relations with certain things but i dont know if it works for everyone. Also, thanks for giving me the info needed for catacombs.. That place seems like as much fun as the ghost place.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Itwastuesday

There's a guy in the tower that you reach after the gargoyle bossfight who (I think) can reset NPC hostilities towards you. I've never used this service myself, so I can't know for sure. What I do know, is that you need an exorbitant amount of souls to have him perform his service (46,000, I think?) You may want to double check all that before you do anything drastic. Game is still pretty new, so double checking these kinds of things you hear in passing as true can be difficult.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlKusanagi

Don't tell me there was an item I could have used to make him not hate me... I was forced to kill him because he kept chasing me and taking off half my life with a hit. Dammit. If there's no recovery, I'm done with this game. It was great while it lasted, but I can't drop that much time back into just to get to where I was.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

What happens if that happened (on PS3) and then something on the screen pops up and says "Restart from beginning of Demon's Souls?" it only gives you a yes answer, and then you have to beat Demon's Souls, starting with nothing, and that's the only way you can play Dark Souls again. Ha ha ha! YES! YES! YEAHHHHHH-SSS! Mwahahahahaaaaaa.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Haha, man. That really sucks. I love this game already, and I haven't even played it yet.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By swoxx

@Drazat said:

LOL

This is all I can say as well

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Itwastuesday

Well... at least you would get where you were much faster the second time now that you know how to beat everything on the way there! Think of how much more focused you could build up your character now that you know more about the game?

That super sucks.

for blacksmith Andrei (and also your save).

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fattony12000

Hahahaha, them's the breaks.

pandashake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pandashake

I agree with making a new char if there is really nothing you could do. I made a new char just to try out a new class and breezed through that first boss without stopping.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Marz

when i make a mistake, i dashboard hoping data is lost and the decision gets reverted

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By white

@AlKusanagi: There's a pastor (I think) of some kind at the bell tower past the Gargoyles. You can try talking to him to request he "absolve you of your sins". Don't know if that would help.

Hope Andrei's still alive though.

EDIT: Nvm. Just read the part where you killed him. But you have that Divine weapon now right? At least then you can try to complete the game. It should be doable with unupgraded weapons.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sungahymn

How very unfortunate.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From the wiki:  Absolution is given by an NPC after you ring the first Bell after the gargoyle boss fight. You must pay 2000 souls x your soul level. This will remove your Sin and also remove all NPC hostility

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

You've met with a horrible fate, haven't you?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Turambar
@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:
From the wiki:  Absolution is given by an NPC after you ring the first Bell after the gargoyle boss fight. You must pay 2000 souls x your soul level. This will remove your Sin and also remove all NPC hostility
This.  You might need to white phantom for others for a while, but bosses by that stage are probably giving out alot of exp.
Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

From what I understand, there's multiple blacksmiths in the game, mate. Check the Darksouls wiki, I believe there to be at least 3, all of which you should be able to reach at this point in the game.

So just head over to one of 'em buggers. Actually killed the damn Blacksmith, myself, as well.. Panicked for a good, long while but then found out you can buy items that allow you to repair and upgrade your weapons at bonfires, and since then, I am living in luxary.

RobDaFunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By RobDaFunk

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

From the wiki: Absolution is given by an NPC after you ring the first Bell after the gargoyle boss fight. You must pay 2000 souls x your soul level. This will remove your Sin and also remove all NPC hostility

This is the part that sucks the most, I had to restart after 8 hours play because I did the same to the blacksmith, I was Lvl20 so I needed 40,000 souls, was way to much hassle, plus the save icon in the corner was permenantly on, annoyed the hell out of me. So I restarted, also blazed back through it much easier the second time.

So Pro Tip: WHENEVER YOU GO NEAR A NPC, TAKE YOUR INDEX AND MIDDLE FINGERS OFF OF THE TOP OF THE CONTROLLER!!!!

Although once you do it once, you never do it again, luckily I learned only after 8 hours.... ;)

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AlKusanagi

He's still dead, but it turns out I didn't need a divine weapon anyway. There's just a pain in the ass mechanic for the catacombs that infinitely respawns the skeletons in each area until you kill a certain creature.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Red12b

@Drazat said:

LOL

appropriate

Tenryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tenryu

Although I'm not entirely clear on it, isn't the Astora Straight Sword a divine/blessed weapon? If so you could pick it up by the Plague Dragon in Drake Valley.

Shadowcoust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Shadowcoust

You actually do need a Divine weapon to make a certain boss in the game later on easier, but owell :/

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EthanielRain

There's a blacksmith under Firelink Shrine, available pretty much from the start of the game; no need to restart or panic :)

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Popogeejo

PS3 controllers clearly need a Wii style strap. In the past few days I've seen a surreal amount of "I dropped the controller at the worst possible moment" stories all relating to Dark Souls. Any second now I expect to see a thread saying "I tried pick up the disc but the edges turned into razor blades and sliced my fingers off. I am typing with my feet BTW"

The game is cursed, man.

Blomakrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Blomakrans
@Popogeejo said:

PS3 controllers clearly need a Wii style strap. In the past few days I've seen a surreal amount of "I dropped the controller at the worst possible moment" stories all relating to Dark Souls. Any second now I expect to see a thread saying "I tried pick up the disc but the edges turned into razor blades and sliced my fingers off. I am typing with my feet BTW"

The game is cursed, man.

You made me laugh hard, thanks!
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By AndrewB

@Popogeejo said:

The game is cursed, man.

Future pressings of the game to include a wrist strap.

And very thick gloves to handle the disc.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#28  Edited By Hector

After reading all these horror stories I never want to play this game...ever!

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#29  Edited By jacksukeru

@EthanielRain said:

There's a blacksmith under Firelink Shrine, available pretty much from the start of the game; no need to restart or panic :)

This. Just take the elevator down to the dark underground area, there's a guy in a cell down some stairs near the water there. He's behind bars as well so you'd have to use a projectile weapon if you wanna hit him, if it's even possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@EthanielRain: Not all blacksmiths can upgrade along the Divine path. Blacksmiths will accept particular embers to begin upgrading equipment along the path granted by the ember accepted. The blacksmith he pissed off and had to kill is the Divine guy.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ninjakiller

Oooo I hope you bought the key from him already.  Otherwise you're missing out on the 7k per minute farming method. 

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ninjakiller
@Popogeejo said:

The game is cursed, man.

Fucking tell me about.  It rloded one of my ps3es when I was like 25 minutes into the game.  The part where the crow grabs you to leave the starting area, my ps3 just crashed 3xs on that part, so i had to pull the one out of my bedroom to keep playing.  That ps3 now crashes whenever I try to use it, I think it's either a power supply issue or less likely a hd issue. Oh well. 
EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EthanielRain

@MagusMaleficus said:

@EthanielRain: Not all blacksmiths can upgrade along the Divine path. Blacksmiths will accept particular embers to begin upgrading equipment along the path granted by the ember accepted. The blacksmith he pissed off and had to kill is the Divine guy.

Thanks for the info. I like killing NPCs to see what they drop...will hafta resist offing him, at least until I'm almost done with the playthrough ^_^

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jozzy

@ninjakiller said:

Oooo I hope you bought the key from him already. Otherwise you're missing out on the 7k per minute farming method.

You are saying that like everyone wants to abuse a clearly broken mechanic to cheapen the game for themselves.

Shadowcoust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Shadowcoust

@jozzy said:

@ninjakiller said:

Oooo I hope you bought the key from him already. Otherwise you're missing out on the 7k per minute farming method.

You are saying that like everyone wants to abuse a clearly broken mechanic to cheapen the game for themselves.

Broken mechanic - yes

Cheapen the game - No, not really.

Blade176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Blade176

Is it possible to join another player's game and buy from his Blacksmith in the Undead Parish?

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jozzy

@Shadowcoust said:

@jozzy said:

@ninjakiller said:

Broken mechanic - yes

Cheapen the game - No, not really.

Well, since most people will reach this place somewhere in the level 20ies range and its easy to get to 40 without any risk in short amount of time making the next couple of zones a cakewalk I would say its extremely cheap. Not that I have anything against people that use it but I never will because I want to play at the intended difficulty level.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AlKusanagi

If all I'm missing is getting divine weapons, then maybe I'm okay. I had already gotten the key item from him and beaten the one boss (that I know of) through it. I'll miss being able to buy titanite from him, though, since it let me experiment with weapon upgrades.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ProfessorK

There's another blacksmith in the forest somewhere that you can hear through a wall in the bottom of the catacombs before the boss. I believe he can make divine weapons for you as well.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AlKusanagi

@ProfessorK said:

There's another blacksmith in the forest somewhere that you can hear through a wall in the bottom of the catacombs before the boss. I believe he can make divine weapons for you as well.

I think that's the one that makes fire weapons.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost did the same thing. I was talking to the black smith, then turned to read something on my computer, taking my left hand off the controller to hit a key on the keyboard, went back to my controller and my middle finger happened to nick the L2 button and I did a shield bash that missed the blacksmith by centimeters. My ass probably cinched up so tight a tooth pick wouldn't go through. That was tense.

kaithefoolish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kaithefoolish

the exact same thing just happened to me, I accidentally axed him in the face while practicing my leaping attack. SO like is there any other black smiths that sells the standard crafting material cause I only have a +2 axe atm and I doubt I can kill the gargoyles with that to be able to buy the "forgiveness". Also I didnt go to the catacombs because I found the infinite skeletons to be too hard to start and from what ive read I need the black smith to upgrade to divine to do that section. if that is the case is there any enemies that drop divine weapons, and can I upgrade with the other blacksmiths once I have a divine weapon?

kaithefoolish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kaithefoolish

but yeah my main freak out is is that blacksmith the only one that sells "titanite", please say no

KittenMitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By KittenMitten

This same thing happened to me. After I rang the second bell I went back to Firelink Shrine where that group gathers in the back. I set my controller on my sofa and the trigger pushed in. Boom, Hostile NPCs.

This isn't the only game where the PS3 triggers have given me grief, those things are damn sensitive.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

I like a lot about these games, but the way in which you can very easily and permanently screw yourself over... not sure what they were going for with that design decision.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AlKusanagi

@kaithefoolish: You know the area with the closed gates right outside the bonfire above said murdered blacksmith? When you can get there, there's a merchant that sells both small and large titanite, but you'll need to ring both bells before you can go there.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By strainedeyes

I'm at a point where I need Titanic Slabs in order to upgrade further, what lunacy haha.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By avidwriter

From reading this I am now glad I never played either game nor even will now. That is some BS.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

@TeflonBilly said:

No Caption Provided

You've met with a horrible fate, haven't you?

I hate you so much right now. Motherfucker.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Omega

I have lived in fear of that very situation the entire game. To help prevent this I always hit the menu before tossing down the controller and I always take my fingers off the shoulder buttons near npc's.

Also, you can get a divine sword and shield next to a dragon corpse in drake valley.

Just be careful near it, he's still got a little life left in him.