Combine: Pyrokinesis & Fire Manipulation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Praxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Praxis
Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#2  Edited By Marino  Staff

@Praxis: I brought this up probably 2.5 years ago. Someone argued that one allows for the creation of fire while the other is only the control of fire. I don't know which is which or whether I agree that they are different enough to constitute two pages.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Wikipidia says they are the same thing. I say combine em. Pryokinesis is the skill to MAKE and control fire. 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew

Has anyone read Firestarter? Does it give a defination of "pyrokinesis"? Has Stephen King ever discussed what it meant? From the Wikipedia article, it's not even clear whether the term was used in the novel or whether it's just a word King used when talking about it.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By FLStyle

Adding another vote to combine, justifying different pages like these by the smallest of differences is more Comic Vine's style.

Giant Bomb's approach should be a lot more simplistic: people like to burn fools.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Snail

@FLStyle said:

Adding another vote to combine, justifying different pages like these by the smallest of differences is more Comic Vine's style.

Giant Bomb's approach should be a lot more simplistic: people like to burn fools.

I suggest "burning fools" becomes an alias for Pyrokinesis.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By iamjohn

@FLStyle said:

I agree. Maybe there's some intricate difference where it's something like pyrokinesis is conjuring fire with your mind while fire manipulation is something else (and I don't even know if that's it; I'm totally just spitballing here), but that's crazy and no one would ever make that distinction.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@iAmJohn said:

@FLStyle said:

I agree. Maybe there's some intricate difference where it's something like pyrokinesis is conjuring fire with your mind while fire manipulation is something else (and I don't even know if that's it; I'm totally just spitballing here), but that's crazy and no one would ever make that distinction.

The ONLY one i can think of is Pyro from Xmen. He can control fire but can not make it. 
Praxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Praxis

@FLStyle: Actually, even Comic Vine restricts fire-related abilities to a single term: Fire Control.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By iamjohn

@Praxis said:

@FLStyle: Actually, even Comic Vine restricts fire-related abilities to a single term: Fire Control.

There is now absolutely no reason why we should have two pages for this.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By onan

@Marino said:

@Praxis: I brought this up probably 2.5 years ago. Someone argued that one allows for the creation of fire while the other is only the control of fire. I don't know which is which or whether I agree that they are different enough to constitute two pages.

That must have been someone's subjective opinion based on one comic book character or Carrie or something. Literally, "Pyrokinesis" is made up of the greek terms for "fire" and a suffix that denotes "movement or motion," which is pretty much the greek-derived sciency term for "fire manipulation." They're exactly the same. The creation of fire would be something like "Pyrogenesis."

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#12  Edited By jacksukeru

Yeah, combining them seems reasonable.

Just...I love that Mario is the picture on the Pyrokinesis page.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scrawnto

Combining sounds like the right move.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers