Delete: Characters Who Don't Like Helicopters???

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Ignor
Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Castro

I don't know. It might be the sleep deprivation talking, but I like this concept. Inside jokes like that are part of Giant Bomb's charm. Of course, I might be completely wrong. I'm not too concerned either way.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

From the linked thread:
@Ignor said:

" Joke does not equal concept and believe me, I've gotten used to hearing that a lot. You know, at first I thought this was a legitimate concept, which was why I added the deafult image. "

I find your choices of "legitimate" concept images bizarre.

Does this concept originate from the same joke that lead to the creation of the earlier Helicopter Boss page? It seems very similar.
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Ryan was happy on Twitter that he was attached to this page. Don't take that away from him.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ignor
@LordAndrew said:

" From the linked thread:

@Ignor

said:

" Joke does not equal concept and believe me, I've gotten used to hearing that a lot. You know, at first I thought this was a legitimate concept, which was why I added the deafult image. "

I find your choices of "legitimate" concept images bizarre.

Does this concept originate from the same joke that lead to the creation of the earlier Helicopter Boss page? It seems very similar. "
Well, I do try to learn from past mistakes.
Would somebody at least care to explain the joke to me? 

E: Fuck it, I need some sleep. Completely misread your post.
What's so bizarre about it? It's a guy shaking his fist at some helicopter, because he "hate it". I even spent 10 minutes in Photoshop, making it.
KommanderCevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KommanderCevin
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By august
@Ignor:   Ryan Davis hates helicopters. Basically, it's a very frequent and long-running inside joke. Listen to just about any Bombcast and you're bound to hear it referenced. 
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ignor
@august said:
" @Ignor:   Ryan Davis hates helicopters. Basically, it's a very frequent and long-running inside joke. Listen to just about any Bombcast and you're bound to hear it referenced.  "
And Brad dies in every other Quick Look. That too became a concept, but was later deleted because someone had created a much more detailed list.
Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Cornman89

This is... ridiculous.

We've got to draw the line somewhere, people.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cornman89: But not here.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cornman89 said:

" This is... ridiculous.  We've got to draw the line somewhere, people. "

Yeah, but I feel GiantBomb inside jokes are not past the line :P
Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cornman89
@Vito_Raliffe: What about...

HEEYAH?

/picard

Anyway, I feel that a paragraph or two on the Helicopter Boss page would suffice. Also, most of the characters on the page have never admitted any special dislike for helicopters. The page is straining to justify its own existence.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Fallen189

You're fighting a losing battle dude, it won't be long before someone moseys on in, says the word "Subjective", and we all go about our merry way =[

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By natetodamax

Does a character ever explicitly say "I hate helicopters"? Do any of the characters in the games on that page say that? If not, then it should be deleted.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187

Guys, personally, here's what it comes down to: 

Are we Giant Bomb, the community who creates a massive encyclopedia of gaming information that wants to be respected for the knowledge that we spew onto these pages... 

...or are we Encyclopedia Dramatica?

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ignor
@jakob187 said:
" Guys, personally, here's what it comes down to:  Are we Giant Bomb, the community who creates a massive encyclopedia of gaming information that wants to be respected for the knowledge that we spew onto these pages...  ...or are we Encyclopedia Dramatica? "
Oh god, hopefully not the latter.
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having the occasional page like this does not put us even close to a place like Encyclopedia Dramatica. Giant Bomb is supposed to be a fun, informative site. It isn't like these pages are common. Giant Bomb has thousands upon thousands of pages, and having a few like this does not harm the quality of the rest. Ryan even commented on it on his Twitter and he was amused that his own page was attached to it. 

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vito_Raliffe said:
" Having the occasional page like this does not put us even close to a place like Encyclopedia Dramatica. Giant Bomb is supposed to be a fun, informative site. It isn't like these pages are common. Giant Bomb has thousands upon thousands of pages, and having a few like this does not harm the quality of the rest. Ryan even commented on it on his Twitter and he was amused that his own page was attached to it.  "
Seriously, would we want to be a bunch of stuck up ass holes who can't have a little fun?  It's not like the wiki is plagued with this stuff. 
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Karl_Boss

Pretty dumb concept.....shit like this doesn't belong in the wiki....I've noticed a lot of inside joke concepts (such as the half a face in a video game demo) being created  and they serve absolutely no purpose other than to be a joke.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" Having the occasional page like this does not put us even close to a place like Encyclopedia Dramatica. Giant Bomb is supposed to be a fun, informative site. It isn't like these pages are common. Giant Bomb has thousands upon thousands of pages, and having a few like this does not harm the quality of the rest. Ryan even commented on it on his Twitter and he was amused that his own page was attached to it.  "
They will become common though....it seems like every time a joke is made on the bombcast or a video some idiot has to go and make a concept on it and go "look at me! I made a concept on what they were talk about on bombcast isn't it hilarious!" and yeah sure people may think its funny at first but come on do you really need to create a concept to reiterate a inside joke?....you could easily just create a topic on it or create a list of your favorite inside jokes....these concepts have no place within the wiki.....it really hurts the credibility of the wiki when people come across stupid shit like this....and also I've come across articles where people try to crack jokes within the article....its not as bad as Unencyclopedia or Encyclopedia Dramatica but its definitely not a step in the right direction of becoming a good gaming wiki.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#21  Edited By Hailinel
@Vito_Raliffe said:
The problem is that when that occurs, you're inviting yourself on a trip down a slippery slope.  Allowing a few joke/gag concepts just encourages others to make new gag pages that aren't appropriate.  Yet, people will defend these pages because "they're funny" and because they "represent the spirit of the community" or some such nonsense.
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, but it is a slippery slope both ways. It is a fine line between being too serious and being too goofy. I understand everyone's concerns on the matter, but I think this particular page should stay up. One-off jokes and such should definitely not have their own pages, but the helicopter theme is a very common one that has been around Giant Bomb for a while. Hell, even the latest Bombcast mentions it ONCE AGAIN. And as I said Ryan liked it as well, so I think that should mean something at least. 

These pages should be rare, yes, and I think this is one of the few that should stay as it has been such a prominent theme throughout the site.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Karl_Boss

It may be prominent through the site but, like Hailinel said, it still encourages others to make more joke concepts.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By mracoon

I don't think we should have any in-jokes in the database, it's not where they belong. You have a perfectly functioning list feature if you want to include things like this so use that instead.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Unknown_Pleasures said:
" It may be prominent through the site but, like Hailinel said, it still encourages others to make more joke concepts. "
That is why we have moderators. People make pointless pages all the time and they are deleted.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" @Unknown_Pleasures said:
" It may be prominent through the site but, like Hailinel said, it still encourages others to make more joke concepts. "
That is why we have moderators. People make pointless pages all the time and they are deleted. "
Not all pages that get created can be deleted though....if a page gets a lot of views mods won't be able to delete it....so it would be better if these kind of concepts stayed out of the wiki and are used in lists instead.
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheHT

Wow, wtf is this shit? A page for this actually exists?!

I like it.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LordAndrew

People make pointless pages all the time and they always have to be brought to the attention of the moderators. And some of them can't even be deleted by the mods.
Assuming that the moderators wiill take care of everything is not an excuse for creating pages that don't belong. Do you see how often these topics pop up? It happens quite a bit. Most of the time they come from established members of the community who no longer have to go through moderation. In fact, one of the top contributors for this concept is himself a moderator!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheHT

They should really change the concept name though, maybe Helicopter Hate? Anti-helicopter Games? Helicide?

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dylabaloo

Buzz killingtons!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LordAndrew
@TheHT said:
" They should really change the concept name though, maybe Helicopter Hate? Anti-helicopter Games? Helicide? "
We have a Helicopter Boss page. Is there a signifant difference between the two? If not then we already have a name: Helicopter Boss.
PenguinDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PenguinDoctor

subjective
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ignor

So about this concept....

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By mike
@Ignor: Best I can do with this one is add delete as the only alias and wait for either someone to delete it manually on the back end, or for the importance algorithm to be adjusted. In either case, don't hold your breath.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By MysteriousBob
@natetodamax said:
" Does a character ever explicitly say "I hate helicopters"? Do any of the characters in the games on that page say that? If not, then it should be deleted. "
Francis sometimes says those exact words at the start of the L4D1 DLC. I'm the one who added him to that concept. 

Half of the concepts on GB are stupid and fun. If you take this away, whats next? If this goes, I'm coming after you in a gunship helicopter.
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ignor
@MysteriousBob said:

" @natetodamax said:

" Does a character ever explicitly say "I hate helicopters"? Do any of the characters in the games on that page say that? If not, then it should be deleted. "

Francis sometimes says those exact words at the start of the L4D1 DLC. I'm the one who added him to that concept. 

Half of the concepts on GB are stupid and fun. If you take this away, whats next? If this goes, I'm coming after you in a gunship helicopter. "
It's not fun when most of it is inaccurate.
What about its most recent addition; Just Cause 2? Does Rico have a similar opinion on helicopters?
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ignor

Other characters are more conflicted, and have a love/hate relationship with helicopters, requiring them to complete their various missions but also freely destroying them without mercy or hesitation.  Rico Rodriguez, the hero of the  Just Cause franchise, spends almost as much time flying across the land in helicopters as he does murdering their occupants and bringing them down to a fiery explosion.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Gordon Freeman hates everything.

Except helicopters.

Yes,he does hate Alyx.