#1  Edited By Hailinel
face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By face15

I dunno, they seem different enough to both stay. 

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By RobotHamster

Yea I'm going to say that they're both a bit different.  

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Aetos

Yeah they're both different.  

But, they both are poorly named.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Skald

They're different alright, but "First Level...Last Game" could stand to be renamed.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ignor

You're more than welcome to suggest a name change for BHB if you want to.

Nes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Nes

Maybe you can rename First Level is the Last Level of the Previous Game to Been Here Done That. =P

There's gotta be a term for each of them. Maybe they're a form of Deja Vu?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Nes: 

Probably not, since I'm guessing the term implies that it takes place immediately after the previous game. So maybe "No Delay Sequel"?
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel
@Ignor said:
" You're more than welcome to suggest a name change for BHB if you want to. "
Revisited Level.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iamjohn

Agree with those who think the concept should stay.  It's definitely a related concept - hell, even a subset of the concept - but it's specific and prevalent enough that I think it's pageworthy. 

Also agree that both should be renamed.  I don't have a suggestion for Been Here Before, but what if we renamed this concept "Beginning at the End"?

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By shiftymagician
@Hailinel said:

" @Ignor said:

Revisited Level. "
This would work fine in my opinion, or even "Level Déjà vu " to be classy hehehe.
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ignor
@ShiftyMagician said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @Ignor said:

Revisited Level. "
This would work fine in my opinion, or even "Level Déjà vu " to be classy hehehe. "
What about locations that aren't levels?
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By shiftymagician
@Ignor said:
" @ShiftyMagician said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @Ignor said:

Revisited Level. "
This would work fine in my opinion, or even "Level Déjà vu " to be classy hehehe. "
What about locations that aren't levels? "
Ahh then we should just call this a "Revisited Location" then.  A level is basically a location with a defined purpose in gaming, so just this simple change should suffice.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#14  Edited By LordAndrew

It may be too specific. Like for example, how would you handle Donkey Kong Land and Donkey Kong Country 2, where the entire first world is the last level of the first DKC?

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shiftymagician
@LordAndrew said:
" It may be too specific. Like for example, how would you handle Donkey Kong Land and Donkey Kong Country 2, where the entire first world is the last level of the first DKC? "
The world is still a location when you use the word in it's truest meaning - a point to something in physical space.  I think it will be fine.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LordAndrew
@ShiftyMagician: The concept says "level or scene". Nothing about worlds or locations.
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shiftymagician
@LordAndrew said:
" @ShiftyMagician: The concept says "level or scene". Nothing about worlds or locations. "
Either a level or scene inherits the fact that they must take place in a location, whether or not the location is a real place or not.  It is impossible for a level or a scene to not take place somewhere within the confines of either the real world or their defined world.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hailinel
@ShiftyMagician said:
" @LordAndrew said:
" @ShiftyMagician: The concept says "level or scene". Nothing about worlds or locations. "
Either a level or scene inherits the fact that they must take place in a location, whether or not the location is a real place or not.  It is impossible for a level or a scene to not take place somewhere within the confines of either the real world or their defined world. "
Revisited Level implies that the level layout is identical or highly similar to the way that it appeared originally.  Revisited Location could be, I dunno, Paris.  Except your in the Louvre this time instead of Notre Dame.
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shiftymagician
@Hailinel said:

" @ShiftyMagician said:

" @LordAndrew said:

Either a level or scene inherits the fact that they must take place in a location, whether or not the location is a real place or not.  It is impossible for a level or a scene to not take place somewhere within the confines of either the real world or their defined world. "
Revisited Level implies that the level layout is identical or highly similar to the way that it appeared originally.  Revisited Location could be, I dunno, Paris.  Except your in the Louvre this time instead of Notre Dame. "
Ahh k.  Then I am guessing the "Level Déjà vu" term would be more appropriate then.  That would cover the idea that the level design is not dependant on the actual location itself, but reminds the player that the level itself is similarly or exactly referenced from a different game, even if both similar levels in question come from different locations or not.

EDIT:  With the way "Revisited Level" was worded, I was under the impression that you are revisiting the exact same level in the same location, rather than visiting a new location with a similar or exact design of another level.  You cannot revisit a level if the level itself is not the exact same level.  I could enter a room that looks exactly the same as another room I was in, but so long as I know the location is different, I did not actually "Revisit" the room at all.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LordAndrew
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shiftymagician
@LordAndrew said:

" It has become apparent that you misunderstood me. I was referring to First Level is the Last Level of the Previous Game, the one we are discussing deletion of. "

I know I kind of did, as I was editing and re-thinking all of it.  I was basically looking for an adequate title to place all of the affected games if deleting that page will be the case.  Based on the fact that only three games (soon to be four with Duke Nukem Forever I'm guessing) only fit this title, it was a little to specific of a page to warrant a title in the first place.  Then again, for what it describes, it isn't really that ambiguous, as it is merely a specific subset of revisiting levels or Level Déjà vu.
buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By buft
@LordAndrew:  we could rename it  " starts in location where prequel finishes"  that pretty much explains the idea that you are continuing on from the last location but that the layout of the area doesnt have to be exactly the same, which is pretty much how the concept page describes it. Also useful for games that don't have defined levels.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Karl_Boss

This thread got off topic fast....I think the concept is differentiates itself enough to stay but goddamn does it need a name change.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ignor
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
" This thread got off topic fast....I think the concept is differentiates itself enough to stay but goddamn does it need a name change. "
Game-Consecutive ... Location Continuation...? v('_')v
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Ignor said:
" @Unknown_Pleasures said:
" This thread got off topic fast....I think the concept is differentiates itself enough to stay but goddamn does it need a name change. "
Game-Consecutive ... Location Continuation...? v('_')v "
No Delay Sequel?
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LordAndrew

Not a fan of the no-delay suggestion, as it suggests a connection to real-world delays which is incorrect. And please, let's try to avoid another NosCon.

How hard can it be to think up a legitimate name that makes it clear that the game continues from the conclusion of the previous game?

Nes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nes

Been Here, Done That.

=P

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Karl_Boss
@LordAndrew: If its so easy then throw a name out there...I think something combined with the word continuity could work, but I don't know what
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Video_Game_King
@LordAndrew: 

In that case, make it clear in the blurb that it's referring to the story, not actual delays. You know, like on my Teasquel page (man, I can't wait for that to appear in this board :P).
GregariousGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GregariousGreg

Can't you just delete the first level of the last game one and put that as a section of the been here before page.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LordAndrew
@Video_Game_King: You seem to be forgetting that people don't read blurbs. The page's purpose should be clear from the title.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hailinel

Marino's renamed the concept at least twice already, and the most recent attempt is grammatically incorrect. :P

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#33  Edited By Brackynews

Wow, is there a limit for how long an alias can be? Rapidly approaching the need for commas.  
Well, I really like the Been Here Before page as the broader concept of revisitation. This one is enough of a deliberate design choice to stand alone, just as Backtracking does.
Lazy portmanteaus are off limits? Dang, and I was going to suggest SequeLevel.  :)   No? Stagja Vu? Sorry, I haven't slept tonight... 
Ok, seriously now: Segue(d) Prologue Level

• Segue implies the gameplay transitions directly from something else, without needing to be a full sequel (episodic games?)
  • Prologue refers to it recapping or taking place before the current story begins, most likely from the previous game
  • Level to account for it being playable, and not cover purely narrative scenes (Ace Attorney games come to mind, see below*)
  • short without rhyming or sounding cutesy, with a good probability someone would search for those keywords
*Whatever the decision, there are similar pages to balance against that already cover narrative, like Story Recap, Recap, Serialized...