Delete: Game Controller

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

The concept Game Controller should be deleted.  As defined by the concept page, every game ever made would fall under this concept.  It's far too broad and too vague.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

I noticed that concept page, but didn't look at it until now. I'm really unclear what its intent is.

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Not_Rage

This should be one of those concepts with no games attached to it.  

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Disgaeamad
@Not_Rage said:
" This should be one of those concepts with no games attached to it.   "
I'd have to agree with this. I mean, the site is a database about video games and everything related to them, so it seems strange to not have a page about controllers.

It could also be changed into an object page used for games which feature console cameos and the like.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hailinel
@Disgaeamad: There are already object pages for individual consoles and devices, though a generic object page for game controllers could also have its own place.  Either way, leaving it as it is now doesn't really work.
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Disgaeamad
@Hailinel said:
" though a generic object page for game controllers could also have its own place. "
This is what I was referring to. Guess I should've worded it better.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hailinel

Then can it be moved to the Object section?

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Godwind

Keep the controller.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I vote for a keep. Someone could write up a really detailed page about the history of the game controller and how it has evolved from early days to modern controllers. It would be really interesting and is exactly what Giant Bomb is about. Obviously games should only be attached to it if they have something significant about their use of a controller. For example Ape Escape would be attached to it as it was the first game to demand the use of dual analogue sticks. Whatever the first game to use a steering wheel controller was would be attached. Perhaps that Buzz quiz game for the PS2 for it's weird, unique quiz answering controller. Stuff like that.

NuclearWinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By NuclearWinter  Moderator

MattyFTM has it exactly right. Controllers seem a very important gaming concept to me and deserve to have a good article written about them in any decent gaming encyclopedia.

The object database is specifically for objects that appear within the games. If an object page is created for controllers then it should only be about cameos that they've made in games, or games that feature some controller device within them.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

I think that the page should be either be (1) deleted and have the information transferred to flesh out the accessories section of the site (we already have some pages for individual controllers) OR (2) kept in the current state but with all games removed that don't feature an innovative or groundbreaking use of a controller. Katamari Damacy comes to mind as a game to add to the page because it only uses the analog sticks. I think it would be best to be able to add to the accessories section so we can update information on individual console controllers rather than lumping everything into one page.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By StarFoxA

What about the accessories section? There are several specific controllers there, such as the DualShock and the Wii Remote, so others could be added as well.

TheGr3mliin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By TheGr3mliin
@NuclearWinter:  Fuck me i didn't know there was an accessories section plz move it there where it belongs actually come to think of it i think the platforms and accessories categories should be simply combined together and renamed "Hardware", just a thought
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#14  Edited By LordAndrew
@TheGr3mliin: The accessories pages are rather limited right now. They're supposed to be making some improvements eventually, including adding them to games, and hopefully associating them with platforms as well. It hasn't happened yet though and I'm not sure how high a priority it is.