Delete: Triple Question Mark

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

I understand what the concept is getting at, but it's a horrible name, and Triple Question Mark doesn't reflect all of the variations that this can take, whether it be a character's name displayed as a single question mark, the text "Unknown", "Mystery Man", or what have you.  If anything, the concept should be deleted and replaced with a new page that has a better name, like Unknown Speaker, Mystery Character, or something of that nature.

To be honest, the first thing that entered my mind when reading Triple Question Mark was a concept dedicated to games with sentences that ended in three question marks.  I doubt that I'm the only person that would be confused by this name.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

Who the fuck keeps making all these completely asanine concepts?

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ZenaxPure
@Hailinel said:
" To be honest, the first thing that entered my mind when reading Triple Question Mark was a concept dedicated to games with sentences that ended in three question marks. "
Oddly it was exactly the same for me. But anyhow, yeah it needs a better name
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Fallen189
@Zenaxzd said:
" @Hailinel said:
" To be honest, the first thing that entered my mind when reading Triple Question Mark was a concept dedicated to games with sentences that ended in three question marks. "
Oddly it was exactly the same for me. But anyhow, yeah it needs a better name "
"Characters with hidden identities"

Done.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Jadeskye
@Fallen189 said:
" @Zenaxzd said:
" @Hailinel said:
"Characters with hidden identities"  Done. "
this.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By ZenaxPure
@jadeskye said:
" @Fallen189 said:
" @Zenaxzd said:
" @Hailinel said:
this. "
Someone should make it so
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jadeskye
@Zenaxzd said:
" @jadeskye said:
" @Fallen189 said:
" @Zenaxzd said:
" @Hailinel said:
this. "
Someone should make it so "

No Caption Provided
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By mracoon

It's a valid concept with a bad name.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hailinel
@mracoon said:
" It's a valid concept with a bad name. "
I never said it wasn't valid.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax

Just noticed that, thought it was really dumb.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Glad whoever made it acknowledged Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth... (finished it today.  nice game.)

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HaltIamReptar

A whole lot of games do this.  MAKE THIS CHANGE HAPPEN.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Hailinel said:
" @mracoon said:
I never said it wasn't valid. "
He never said that you specifically said it was invalid....he's just stating in general that he thinks its a valid concept with a bad name....I think "??? character" would be a better name but it seems the systme can't handle question marks.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hailinel
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @mracoon said:
He never said that you specifically said it was invalid....he's just stating in general that he thinks its a valid concept with a bad name....I think "??? character" would be a better name but it seems the systme can't handle question marks. "
Why on Earth would "??? character" be a better name?  That's not descriptive at all.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Hailinel said:
" @Unknown_Pleasures said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @mracoon said:
He never said that you specifically said it was invalid....he's just stating in general that he thinks its a valid concept with a bad name....I think "??? character" would be a better name but it seems the systme can't handle question marks. "
Why on Earth would "??? character" be a better name?  That's not descriptive at all. "
That's what the overview is for my friend. ;)....you know when they ask your to describe the page in a few sentences....again chill out man this is just the internet.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hailinel
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @mracoon said:
Why on Earth would "??? character" be a better name?  That's not descriptive at all. "
That's what the overview is for my friend. ;)....you know when they ask your to describe the page in a few sentences....again chill out man this is just the internet. "
The overview is useful for describing in detail, but the name says nothing about what it is.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Hailinel said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @mracoon said:
That's what the overview is for my friend. ;)....you know when they ask your to describe the page in a few sentences....again chill out man this is just the internet. "
The overview is useful for describing in detail, but the name says nothing about what it is. "
It gives a general idea....if you wanted to detail the concept it would have to have a long ass title and no one likes those.....but really the overview is there to tell exactly what the page is about while the title gives a general idea.....if I saw the title I would know what they were talking about or at least have a good idea.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hailinel
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @mracoon said:
The overview is useful for describing in detail, but the name says nothing about what it is. "
It gives a general idea....if you wanted to detail the concept it would have to have a long ass title and no one likes those.....but really the overview is there to tell exactly what the page is about while the title gives a general idea.....if I saw the title I would know what they were talking about or at least have a good idea. "
I know I wouldn't.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Karl_Boss

Hmm.....well maybe I'll just have to ask LordAndrew what he thinks about this.

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By TepidShark

I posted this one. I originally posted it as "???" but the URL didn't work so I was told to repost it as something else so I came up with "Triple Question Mark". ??? specifically is very a common way of communicating a unknown character you can see it presented in many games. That is why I thought it would make a good concept.

I would argue that that if you think this concept should be deleted then, I would say there are plenty of other ridiculous concepts on the site that could be deleted as well.  I could name some but I don't want to offend anybody.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Karl_Boss
@TepidShark said:
" I posted this one. I originally posted it as "???" but the URL didn't work so I was told to repost it as something else so I came up with "Triple Question Mark". ??? specifically is very a common way of communicating a unknown character you can see it presented in many games. That is why I thought it would make a good concept.  I would argue that if my concept makes just as much sense as Subtitled Silence (cause that is in like every game) but maybe that's just me. "
Hailinel is the top contributor of that page....oh the irony.
TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TepidShark
@Unknown_Pleasures:  I was aware of that. I am sorry for that old post that was rude. I just thought he wasn't being very welcoming to new users. 
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#25  Edited By LordAndrew
@TepidShark: It's not that it's a bad concept, it's just not a great name. It's a bit too specific and at the same time not very descriptive. Unfortunately due to software limitations concepts cannot simply be renamed by moderators, so deletions are used to "solve" that problem.
TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TepidShark
@LordAndrew: Even though I feel there are more specific concepts on the site than this one, I guess you can delete it then. I did like Hailinel's suggestion of Unknown Speaker, do you think it would be a good idea to resubmit it as that?

Edit: I am aware they like " Characters with hidden identities", I not a fan of this because it is too board and the name is too long. You could put Batman under this category and I would more want to get across that someone named mysterious something or ??? or Person X or something is talking. It makes it more of a game specific thing.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Karl_Boss
@TepidShark said:
" @Unknown_Pleasures:  I was aware of that. I am sorry for that old post that was rude. I just thought he wasn't being very welcoming to new users.  "
Yeah Hailinel can rub off that way but most of the time he's just trying to get his point across....it's mostly just because of his dry personality but he can take it too far sometimes.
TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TepidShark
@Unknown_Pleasures: I saw another post about how he was asking for it to be harder to submit concept pages and that just didn't seem too inviting to me but oh well. As I said they can delete the Triple Question Mark page if they want, cause I already submitted the Unknown Speaker page which should be much more board and therefore better.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hailinel
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
" @TepidShark said:
" I posted this one. I originally posted it as "???" but the URL didn't work so I was told to repost it as something else so I came up with "Triple Question Mark". ??? specifically is very a common way of communicating a unknown character you can see it presented in many games. That is why I thought it would make a good concept.  I would argue that if my concept makes just as much sense as Subtitled Silence (cause that is in like every game) but maybe that's just me. "
Hailinel is the top contributor of that page....oh the irony. "
In my defense, I'll argue that Subtitled Silence makes sense from a basic name standpoint.  "???" and "Three Question Marks" do not.
TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TepidShark
@Hailinel: It would have made sense to people if I had put something like this image in there and about "???"  that specific one I'm sure it happens in a lot of games I just could only think of two of them.
No Caption Provided
Personally, with that Subtitled Silence comment I don't really know what I was saying anyway so don't worry about it I meant to get rid of that comment anyway. Besides I already resubmitted it as something else anyway. so end of discussion anyway.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Hamz

I remember this page was sitting in the queue awaiting to be approved or denied, after a brief debate we approved it. The concept seems valid to me, it just needs work to make sure the content does indeed represent the purpose of the page.

A lot of deletion requests lately for the more subjective / absurd concepts could easily be avoided if people put a bit more work into explaining, in greater detail, what the purpose of the page is. See the NosCon page for a great example of how to create a truly random and sort of subjective concept page in as accurate and brilliant a fashion possible. I just wish I could share the mass of moderator debate over that page :)