LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#1  Edited By LordAndrew

Concept: Playable via Wine

Wine is a compatibility layer that allows Windows applications to run on UNIX and UNIX-based operating systems such as Linux. Some run better than others, but individual experiences will vary depending on the version of Wine, the distribution used, and even the version of the game sometimes.

The ideal way of finding out if a particular game will run under Wine is to either try running it in Wine yourself, or head to the WineHQ Application Database and look up the game. But even if it's a top-rated Platinum game like Counter-Strike Source we cannot guarantee that it will run on anyone's system, and I don't think we should try.

I think this kind of thing is best left to the folks who maintain WineHQ, but what do you guys think? Should we keep it? Scrap it? Enact a restriction on what games can have this concept attached?

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Coltonio7

Wine is also a drink =D

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

I'm well aware of what wine is. :P

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By OmegaPirate
Coltonio7 said:
"Wine is also a drink =D"
Coltonio is our fountain of important knowedge!!
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I only just realized this was up for deletion (which is odd, I usually keep a close eye on the pages up for deletion) after some discussion on a blog about Linux Gaming, and have some points on it.

Calling the page "Playable by Wine" is incorrect, I totally agree with LordAndrew that any windows game could theoretically be on a "Playable by Wine" concept. And sure the Wine Application database is totally the place to list games, and their compatibility with Wine. However, Wine itself can totally have it's own page, just simply called "Wine".

Wine is in important piece of software for gaming on linux. Someone could write a really informative article on what Wine is, and what it does for gaming. Pages exist primarily to have a good written article on them. Due to the nature of this concept, we can just not list games on this one. Unless there are any games that are somehow significant to the development of Wine, or have some other special reason for being listed. It wouldn't just contain all games that could be played by Wine.

So, I propose we rename it to Wine, and remove all the games, and use it as an article about this piece of software. It is software, used by lots of people for gaming, it should totally have it's page on the GB database.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

Concept pages cannot be renamed unfortunately. Maybe the staff have that power, but I've never actually seen it happen.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm fairly sure staffers can rename them. And since only staffers can delete too, it's not like deleting and creating a new one could be done any quicker.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

Well, if it's possible that's fine. But since I've never seen it happen, I'm not actually sure.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LordAndrew

I just spent some time looking through the page renaming topic and found that the staff are indeed capable of renaming object, concept, and location pages. So if any staff ever decides to look in this forum, this is what should be done:
Rename Playable via Wine to Wine. Thanks.