Rename: Games with Unlockable Gamer Pics

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#1  Edited By Marino  Staff

I know this is probably nitpicky to a lot of people, but I just find it terribly redundant to have concepts that start with "Games with...".  It's a gaming website. 

So can we change this to just "Unlockable Gamer Pics"?

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Well, first of all, there are no games even on that list!! :S 

What games actually do have unlockable gamer pics?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Marino  Staff

It's a brand new page, so the person that submitted probably hasn't had a chance to add stuff to it. 

There are several games on 360 that do this.  It is a valid concept.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By CoolDrMoney

I added a few games to do away with those concerns

risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By risseless
@Marino said:
"I just find it terribly redundant to have concepts that start with "Games with...".

You're not the only one. Concepts should never start with "Games With" IMO. =P 
This should be "Unlockable Gamer Pics".
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

I propose that all future concepts should be prefixed with "Games With". Just to piss everyone off. :P

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

This is a good concept, but it does need a new name.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

no, why should they do that? if you put unlockable gamer pics, than its a page for all the gamerpics that can be unlocked, while games with, is a list of games where you can unlock gamerpics. they are different concepts.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

I'm adding on some games as well right now.  Chances are it was created in the wake of Bad Company 2 having an unlockable gamer pic just for putting the game in your tray.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Marino  Staff
@arab_prince: Where else are you "unlocking" gamer pics?  You can purchase them, sure.  But where else other than in games are you unlocking them?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good point. but still, whats wrong with being specific?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LordAndrew
@arab_prince said:
" good point. but still, whats wrong with being specific? "
All concepts involve stuff in games. So saying that games have them in the page title is redundant.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alright. but still, saying unlockable gamerpics sort of implies that the page will show you the gamer pics that could be unlocked, not which game unlocks them. i see a purpose for the two extra words, but sometimes people love conciseness.

risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By risseless

Seems to me that an "Unlockable Gamer Pics" page would be a perfect place to add a description of which picture you get for which games, like how the Health From Romance page gives details of how it works in different games. That's what these pages are for, isn't it?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jakob187

Here's the problem with renaming it to simply "unlockable gamer pics":  we don't even have a page for gamerpics themselves, at least not when I just did a search for it.  Therefore, wouldn't we be making this a dual page if we were to rename it?  Otherwise, someone might want to make a gamerpic page.

I think having it worded as "games with unlockable gamer pics" makes perfectly fine sense as a concept. 

Also, I updated the hell out of that with a ton of games.  I might go through and bulletpoint list the specific games and how to obtain those gamerpics.  Good idea or bad idea? 

Also also...HOLY CRAP I ONLY NEED 36 MORE POINTS TO BREAK 5K!!!

risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By risseless

For me, a concept that needs to start with "Games with..." is a big red flag that it might not really a concept, but a list. I mean, all concepts could start with "Game With" (e.g. Games With Health, Games With Swords, etc), but they don't need it to be accurate. Concepts aren't lists, they are properties/features of games. That's the way I see it anyway. 

@jakob187: I think it's a good idea to add specific game information to that (or any other) concept page. That's what they are for IMO. I wish more people would do that.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Luke
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jakob187
@Luke: It would count.
Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Luke
@jakob187: OK, added :) 
Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Marino  Staff
@jakob187 said:
" we don't even have a page for gamerpics themselves, at least not when I just did a search for it.  Therefore, wouldn't we be making this a dual page if we were to rename it?  Otherwise, someone might want to make a gamerpic page. "  

I would argue that they're one in the same.  A page simply about gamer pics is useless.  We don't have (or need) pages for usernames, handles, gamertags, avatars, etc.  A page about "Unlockable Gamer Pics" though could have brief info about what gamer pics are in order to explain why they are sometimes used as rewards within games.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187
@Marino: But as you said, gamerpics can also be purchased, and there are some that can't even be obtained without getting them on a separate disc from a limited edition (such a Halo 3 Legendary edition, Mass Effect limited edition, Gears of War 2 limited edition, etc). 

However, I also understand the point of view you are coming from.  We are talking specifically about the fact that these are unlockable gamerpics.  I think the idea was originally as a list, but we're slowly turning it INTO a concept with this thread. 

Nonetheless, did a little more work for a possible structure to the page.  Just doing those few things there was a pain in the ass, mainly due to the images not wanting to do what I want them to do.  lol  I'll be working on it off and on.  This will become my magnum opus!!! 

Also, what special thing happens when I hit 5,000 wiki points?
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LordAndrew
@arab_prince said:
" alright. but still, saying unlockable gamerpics sort of implies that the page will show you the gamer pics that could be unlocked, not which game unlocks them. i see a purpose for the two extra words, but sometimes people love conciseness. "
It could do that too. Concepts do have image galleries.
risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By risseless

@jakob187: I believe 5000 points is the threshold for being able to create pages without needing moderation approval.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Marino  Staff
@jakob187: Okay, so we established another way of unlocking them (limited editions).  I agree that that's valid and should be included in the wiki of the page.  But my previous point was that a "Gamer Pics" concept page is unnecessary and therefore the issue of having multiple concept pages for Gamer Pics is a moot point.  If it were not for the fact that they are sometimes used as rewards within games, they would have no place on the site at all.  But since the concept of unlockables is valid, we can use that concept page as a place to at least describe what they are in order to accurately explain why they are, or were, considered desirable rewards.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jakob187
@Marino: I think I can agree on that as well, good sir.  This is why you're the Wiki god and I'm the lowly peon that works on a couple pages.  lol 

@risseless: FINALLY!
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King
@CornontheCobbe said:
" Well, first of all, there are no games even on that list!! :S   What games actually do have unlockable gamer pics? "
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, for one. I got my Klungo pic from that.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By mike

I like "Unlockable Gamer Pics" or something like that. If we can come to a general consensus on what this page should be named, I'll change it...since we can actually change the names of every page in the database now. Yay.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jakob187
@MB: I think the general consensus is Unlockable Gamer Pics.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I prefer "Games with...". Just saying "Unlockable gamer pics" isn't quite as clear.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jakob187
@TheGreatGuero: I think Marino explained it just fine as to why "Unlockable Gamer Pics" is a better title for it.  Maybe that's just me, but it makes sense.
Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Marino  Staff
@TheGreatGuero: For you and anyone else that thinks that somehow having "Games with" makes things better.  This is the world we'd be living in...
No Caption Provided
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@CornontheCobbe said:
" Well, first of all, there are no games even on that list!! :S   What games actually do have unlockable gamer pics? "

Pac Man Championship Edition does.
risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By risseless

I cast my vote for "Unlockable Gamer Pictures".

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By mike
@risseless: Thanks, I'd like to get input from a few more users before I go ahead with the change.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

"Games with..." prefixes are extremely pointless. Firstly are we on a video game website - meaning it's pretty self explanatory that our concept pages are going to be related to games. And also, it implies that the page exists solely to be a list of games that contain unlockable gamer pics, which is completely untrue, the page has a an article which could go into detail explaining Unlockable Gamer Pics, including pictures of them & details of how to unlock them.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Marino said:
" @TheGreatGuero: For you and anyone else that thinks that somehow having "Games with" makes things better.  This is the world we'd be living in...
No Caption Provided
"
Yeah saying "games with..." is pointless and redundant
Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Marino  Staff

Can we call this a closed case and change it now, especially since all the others have been changed?

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By jonnyboy

There are some games, and in fact trials of games that give you gamerpics without in forming you via an achievement style 'bink' message. This concept is gonna be a bitch to make comprehensive.

NuclearWinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By NuclearWinter  Moderator
@Marino said:
" Can we call this a closed case and change it now, especially since all the others have been changed? "
It's already been changed. 

I'll lock the thread.