Rewards for Editing Wikis

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

Today I edited my first wiki pages since I hit 1000 points a while ago and I was just wondering if there were any other ways to encourage people to get out there and add stuff to pages. Points are cool, as are the ranks, although I doubt the ranks mean much when you're ranked somewhere in the thousands and only go up a few after an edit.

For me, back when I joined I felt like I really wanted to get to 1000 points and the ability to edit without needing moderation first, but once I reached that mark I didn't really have the same incentive to edit as much as I had been. So I was thinking about whether it would be a good idea to add small rewards, maybe a few trivial things rather than real-life rewards like t-shirts and merchandise so the staff don't need to pay out when someone edits something and edits it back on the same page over and over. Little things like medals to show off underneath your avatar in the forums or in your profiles, have them unlock when you hit 5000, 10000, 25000 points or something.

That's all I've been able to think of so far; perhaps others have some more ideas (I'm in an uncreative mood at the moment).

Maitre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Maitre

Well they are working on an achievment system which will probably incite quite a bit of people to work on the site but i have no idea when we will be able to expect that to be implemented. Some days ago one of the engineers confirmed that they were working on it. 

I like your idea of having something under your icon but instead of having an icon under it i would prefer something a bit more subtle like the colour of the border of your icon that changes when you get more points or something.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Fallen189

It's kind of a grey area, or I could see it being.

I could easily gain thousands of points, by adding all the individual personae, mass uploading images or etc.  Just look at the Harry Potter and all the related pages. Not entirely videogame related ;)

If you mean rewards for quality wiki edits, then we're in business.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Maitre:  Yeah, I like the idea of different coloured borders. Though I think there'd have to be a balance between being subtle and noticeable enough... I mean, for those who didn't have the reward to see it on others' profiles or icons etc and feel like they wanted one for themselves too. Of course not everyone is going to care about some different coloured border or gif but if anyone else is like me I could see it being a nice incentive.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

Sounds like a plan. I would edit more but most stuff is already up there (though I found some old games that havn't been touched). Instead of having the medals under your avatar I'd prefer if they only show up on the profile page to avoid clutter in the forums I know it's a very small detail but they've don't let people use signatures to keep the forums clean and I've sort of stuck with that mentality. But yeah I do agree with you in most cases.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By mracoon

The only next benefit is when you reach 5000 points

Take from the site FAQ:

5000 points

• Can create new pages without need of moderation
  • Can set the default image for a page (look for the ribbon icon)
  • Can remove images from an object

I wish they would give us some more abilities when you get even more points. I mean I have 18,000 points and I'd really like to be able to add aliases to all pages but I still have to have it requested. I think I've done enough at this point to prove that I'm responsible enough to add only good aliases.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fallen189: You're right, although I guess at this stage it's hard to discern between those sorts of edits and quality ones. Wouldn't really want the rewards to be handled out manually since I think a lot of good workers would pass under the radar. 

@eroticfishcake: yeah, there are still a lot of pages which haven't been so much as touched, found a few today that I was able to add to, but even with the seemingly full pages there are quite a lot of holes which can be filled if one does a bit of googling. Easier if you're a bigger fan of that particular game I suppose. I'm with you on clutter, certainly wouldn't want the medals to be too big if they were implemented although it would still depend on how many different ones could be obtained.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Fallen189
@Kowbrainz said:
" @Fallen189: You're right, although I guess at this stage it's hard to discern between those sorts of edits and quality ones. Wouldn't really want the rewards to be handled out manually since I think a lot of good workers would pass under the radar. 

@eroticfishcake: yeah, there are still a lot of pages which haven't been so much as touched, found a few today that I was able to add to, but even with the seemingly full pages there are quite a lot of holes which can be filled if one does a bit of googling. Easier if you're a bigger fan of that particular game I suppose. I'm with you on clutter, certainly wouldn't want the medals to be too big if they were implemented although it would still depend on how many different ones could be obtained. "
I've played a lot of indie and somewhat niche games, so they for the most part help, but yeah, a lot of pages are full.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Fallen189: There's a lot of bare-bone articles on DOS games and the like in which you could contribute a lot to. I would add a lot but I can't help but feel that I'm wasting my time since I can't imagine a lot of people looking for an article on Mystic Towers or Lands of Lore. Regardless, I'll work on them of only I had the time.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#10  Edited By LordAndrew

Do it because you want Giant Bomb to become an awesome games database and information source.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#11  Edited By natetodamax

I would like to have some badges or ribbons or awards to show off. That would be cool

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By sjschmidt93

Don't give any prizes = People not wanting to edit. 
Give too many = People editing things that aren't needed. 

It's tough to make it just right.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Karl_Boss
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" Don't give any prizes = People not wanting to edit. Give too many = People editing things that aren't needed.  It's tough to make it just right. "
Yeah this is true....I think points are enough....any more and people would start to abuse the system and illegitimately boost points.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CL60

i think it is fine how it is.